Some more of my ideas

I had a feeling it was Samsung. Honestly, I don't feel we should support this. That puts extra cost into maintaining the ability to switch to a non-standard format just to conform to Apple's bullying of the electronics industry.

-God Ginrai

This makes the assumption the actual pocket is bigger than it's entry. That assumption is not generally valid.
Go check your pants again. I don't know of a case where this is not valid.
There are only pockets in pants?
Also it's just a pain to do so.
I'll admit that it is not as easy as just sliding it in. But if this means better shoulders, it may be worth it. How much do you value the second set of shoulder buttons?
Not it isn't worth it.Last sentence assumes this is the only way to get 4 shoulder buttons.

Protrusions also make the case more fragile, more expensive to produce and more /difficult/ to produce.
This may be true. We should look into this. I was thinking rounded protrusions, though, so any place you apply force will still go inwards towards the case instead of parallel to the case.
I just would like to highlight this. You just had to admit there are 3 more good reasons this is an expensive idea in the sense that it would need to bring huge benefits to be viable.
It doesn't.

Furthermore if the surface you want to put it on isn't flat it also introduces problems.
Yes, but that would raise problems if the bottom of the Pyra was flat, too. That makes this point moot.
Not as much. Not moot at all. Just imagine putting a typical game pad on different flat and non flat surfaces and then trying to type on them as if they were a keyboard (that is, without holding them), which is exactly what lots of people do with their Pandora.
All you do is relativise some of my arguments a little, but you aren't refuting any of them.

Back to the beginning: It's a bad idea for devices not purely dedicated to gaming because it costs more features than it adds. End of discussion. Feel free to continue, I'm not going to (it's not necessary; you seem to be the only one of that strange opinion).

There are only pockets in pants?
No, but any pockets in your jackets are likely to be bigger than your pants' pockets. The only pockets that may fit your argument is a shirt pocket. And shirt pockets (while still relevant) are used much less often than pants and jacket pockets.

Also it's just a pain to do so.
I'll admit that it is not as easy as just sliding it in. But if this means better shoulders, it may be worth it. How much do you value the second set of shoulder buttons?
Not it isn't worth it.Last sentence assumes this is the only way to get 4 shoulder buttons.
I wasn't saying this was the only way to get 4 shoulders. And I was not implying it either. I was saying that depending on how high you value the second set of shoulder buttons versus other features is an important factor because those who don't value it as high will not want any changes to make the shoulder buttons better that may detract from other features.

Protrusions also make the case more fragile, more expensive to produce and more /difficult/ to produce.
This may be true. We should look into this. I was thinking rounded protrusions, though, so any place you apply force will still go inwards towards the case instead of parallel to the case.
I just would like to highlight this. You just had to admit there are 3 more good reasons this is an expensive idea in the sense that it would need to bring huge benefits to be viable.
It doesn't.
What you just said here doesn't even make sense. I said it may be true and that we should look into it because I do not know whether your statement was valid or not. That does not mean that I am admitting you are right.

Furthermore if the surface you want to put it on isn't flat it also introduces problems.
Yes, but that would raise problems if the bottom of the Pyra was flat, too. That makes this point moot.
Not as much. Not moot at all. Just imagine putting a typical game pad on different flat and non flat surfaces and then trying to type on them as if they were a keyboard (that is, without holding them), which is exactly what lots of people do with their Pandora.
Not really, something that has a flat bottom will wobble on a non-flat surface when you try to type on it. In fact, depending on the way that the surface is shaped, the protrusions could actually stabilize the device while you are typing on it. As I said: Your point is moot.

-God Ginrai

there's a season called "summer".
h0_B6_B5_D8_F.jpg

Well, since you know I'm actively working on the successor yet, I think I can share some of my ideas.

Basically, it's to keep what's good and fix what can be fixed :)

What's good:

Size: Similar. If we have to increase it, it will not be much (maybe 1 - 2 mm to one side)

Clamshell design: Of course!

Full sized SD Card slots: I would like to keep these as well.

USB Ports: Sure thing!

Gaming Controls: Ummm... :)

Replaceable battery: Yep. I want to keep the exact same battery for various reasons.:

• It will ensure that batteries for the Pandora will be available for a longer period of time.
  • We know it works properly (less risk)
  • Whoever owns the successor AND the Pandora can the batteries for both devices.
  • The battery compartment will be changed though, so that the battery will fit much better

What needs to be fixed:

Nubs: Completely new ones. We already have some samples that are working so much better (best nubs I've ever seen).

LCD-Cable: While the current ones are good, they still fail too often in my opinion. With MIPI displays, we don't need LCD Cables anymore.

Case: The case will be completely designed and produced by one company in Europe. This will ensure a higher quality.

What could be improved:

LCD: Better refresh rate, higher resolution (ideally 720p, but that's hard to get), size increased to 5"

Keyboard: Slightly improved layout, better feel, probably backlight

Wireless: Improved Wifi, but maybe also optional 3G/4G would be neat.

Speakers: We already have samples of much better speakers. :)

SoC: A more recent one, of course. And yes... we have the confirmation for one now, but I won't tell you :)

So, that's my basic idea - what do you think about that? :)
So are you going to build a prototype and start a kick starter to fund the project or are you going to take pre-orders to fund the project?  

So are you going to build a prototype and start a kick starter to fund the project or are you going to take pre-orders to fund the project?  
As far as I know Ed hasn't decided on it yet. The only thing that he is absolutely sure about is that he won't start taking any money before the prototyping phase is over.

Nope. Since the rebirth project, ED have some investors. The pandora successor have always been in that plan. It's founded and will go on sales when ready.

EDIT: Thanks thatgui for correcting me :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a feeling it was Samsung. Honestly, I don't feel we should support this. That puts extra cost into maintaining the ability to switch to a non-standard format just to conform to Apple's bullying of the electronics industry.

-God Ginrai
Isn't there a simple adapter you put in your headphone jack which brings back the normal standard?

Nope. Since the rebirth project, ED have some investors. The pandora successor have always been in that plan. It's founded and will go on sales when ready.
?

I'm pretty sure I cannot produce the units without getting any payments. Might be Kickstarter, might be preorders, might be a loan or anything else.

I can fund the full development but not the production.

So not sure how exactly I'll do that.

Might be that preorders with little payment (like for the Rebirth units) is enough, might be I need half of the payments upfront.

What I will NOT do though is do preorders before everything is 100% set up.

I want a fully working PCB in a fully working case (not some prototype printed stuff) before I do any preorders!
Source

-God Ginrai
 Isn't there a simple adapter you put in your headphone jack which brings back the normal standard?
Our device should use the standard jack. If such an adapter exists, then surely one that would allow apple-jack headphones to plug into a standard jack must also exist.

-God Ginrai

I think the best would be to have a DPDT switch between the mic and GND lines. Failing that (AQ problems?), we should use the real, old standard and offer adaptors to the apple pinout

I think we should make the Apple headphones not work on purpose and then offer a pretty, shiny adapter (at 5 times production costs) to make them work.

^   Nope.

That doesn't, in any way, improve the product.

Standards are good, but only as a means to maximise compatibility.

I will support a switch to change between the two headset standards IF the switch is labeled standard / dumb(apple) mode.

And hidden. I don't want to be reminded that such a compromise was reached every time I look at it. :p

But seriously, as the problem seems fairly ubiquitous it might be worthwhile having a switch or jumper on the board, hidden away and mostly inaccessible unless the case is opened but still available.

-God Ginrai

Our device should use the standard jack. If such an adapter exists, then surely one that would allow apple-jack headphones to plug into a standard jack must also exist.

-God Ginrai
That was was I meant.

I was thinking the other way round. An adapter on the apple headphone to make it compatible with the old standard.

We should definitely not use Apple shit.

Also we want it Pandora compatible.

-> Pandora Headphone jack

Back