SuperZaxxon incremental update changelog

notaz

Certified Guru
Website
notaz.gp2x.de
This is a log of updates you get when you select "Upgrade Pandora OS" in system settings.

Warning: selecting "Upgrade Pandora OS" will get you development versions of various packages that are not fully tested yet. Doing so may make your pandora temporarily unusable and you may have to reflash.

Changes since SuperZaxxon 1.72

2015-08-15 (1.72 update 1):
* util-linux: updated to 2.19.1 (so that blkid can recognize exfat)

* bluez: updated to 4.99 (maybe will give more device support, like wiimote)
Changes since SuperZaxxon 1.71

2015-02-21:
* c64_tools: fixed system registers incorrectly being cached from DSP side, which allowed to remove unnecessary invalidate between commands (bsp)
* kernel: updated to 3.2.67
* kernel: made DSP shared memory and the framebuffer accessible by debuggers (previously it would fail)
* kernel: wifi driver updated to use different power saving method, as done by TI/Android driver
* kernel: (maybe) fixed the damned charger LED
* kernel: updated aufs to the last 3.2.x release

2014-12-30:
* updated aufs-util, fixes mysterious mount.aufs failure after mount.cifs has been used at least once. Also fixes longstanding AUFS_CTL_PLINK_MAINT error often seen in pndrun logs
* fixed a bug in pnd_run.sh that's somehow triggering after mount.cifs usage
Changes since SuperZaxxon 1.61

2014-12-12:
* fixed broken SGX driver on rebirth units (collateral damage from changed default driver for 1GHz)
* fixed pndnotifyd not detecting PND changes after SD card reinsert (long standing bug)
* added ca-certificates

2014-11-29:
* trying to fix 2.6 kernel packaging issues that caused breakage seen on SZ 1.70 release

2014-11-18:
* attempted to work around opkg uninstalling libtasn1 during upgrade from some SZ versions
* changed OS upgrade script to first update itself and do retries

2014-11-11 (SZ 1.70RC):
* updated tcl/tk and it's python bindings to 8.5.8

2014-11-09:
* kernel: updated to latest stable release (3.2.64). Includes important NEON vld/vst alignment fault handling fix.
* added fusilli-client and adb (android debug bridge) to default OS
* udev: made USB devices accessible to main user by default, no need to edit udev rules any more

2014-11-01:
* updated zlib to 1.2.8 (some PNDs want newer version, version checks did not work before but now they do for some reason)
* updated pixman to 0.32 "because I can", some desktop drawing operations might be a bit faster

2014-10-20:
* wpa-supplicant: updated to 2.2
* added missing SGX driver file for 1GHz pandoras

2014-10-19:
* xfce4-session: fixed possible crash when using "Save session for future logins" feature
* pnd_run: nub modes are restored on last PND exit (to deal with crashing/misbehaving PNDs)
* updated ncurses to 5.9
* updated less to 458

2014-10-18 (SZ 1.62RC):
* many system libraries have been updated: glib and gtk2 to latest version, several others to newer versions that are compatible with latest gtk. This may break some PNDs (mostly because of glib ABI changes, those PNDs will have to be recompiled), but will allow ports of new software. After this update completes it is highly recommended to reboot so that system services reload updated libs, otherwise there may be some instability.
* changed default SGX driver to 4.03.00.02 for 1GHz units, for others it stays the same as before. It has been reported that reboot is sometimes needed after this update for driver to work properly.
* bash: updated to 3.2.57 (bug and shellshock fixes)
* kernel: new wifi stick driver: RTL8192EU

2014-09-25:
* bash: updated to 3.2.52

2014-09-16:
* kernel: updated to 3.2.63
* kernel: wrote a new driver in-SoC thermal sensor (can read through /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp)
* kernel: switched some features to modules (instead of built-in)
* kernel: enabled GPT partition support
* kernel: added driver for MT7601 dongle (ED sold some of them thinking they were Realtek, but manufacturer changed the chip)
* kernel: lots of new media drivers for USB TV sticks/webcams (via media_build.git)
* alsa-lib: updated to latest (1.0.28)
* op_storage.sh: use partition instead of whole drive (pmprog)
* wl1251-init: removed unneeded insmod commands that were causing errors

2014-07-12:
* kernel: updated to 3.2.61
* kernel: SGX texture streaming module added to all drivers
* scripts: make system layer usable again after tv-out is used

2014-07-05:
* networkmanager: added a hack to stop unnecessary scans, wifi can connect faster
* openal: some NEON optimizations

2014-05-04:
* kernel: enabled bridge module
* kernel: updated to 3.2.58 (as modversions changed because of network config change anyway)
* xserver-xorg: updated to 1.7.7 (from 1.7.4), makes BT keyboard crash less, but the problem is still there
* configbutton: icon size configuration added to rightclick menu (slaeshjag)

Changes since SuperZaxxon 1.60

2014-04-30:
* configbutton: plugin settings added (slaeshjag), icon size reduced (ekianjo)

2014-04-20:
* kernel: updated to 3.2.57
* kernel: idle power saving improved 10-20% (only when system is idle and screen is off, this condition is normally when lid is closed)
* kernel: wl1251: added support for monitor mode and packet injection (backported David Gnedt's patches that have been recently applied to mainline)
* kernel: wl1251: fixed ad-hoc functionality
* kernel: backported some other OMAP fixes from later kernels that probably won't have visible effects

2014-02-28:
* pnd_run: fixed restore of fb0 to not result in black screen in some cases

2014-01-22:
* kernel: applied a patch that fixes USB instability on some units

2014-01-18:
* c64_tools: updated to 18Jan2014: improves DSP power saving and solves NAND corruption problems on CC/rebirth

Changes since SuperZaxxon 1.55

2013-12-11:
* kernel: updated to 3.2.53
* kernel: fixed a bug that caused OTG port to occasionally not work after reboot
* kernel: improved sys_cacheflush performance
* added ability to sync time when Internet connection is established. Various clock fixes (EvilDragon)
* pandora-menu key behavior has been improved, menu should pop up even when taskbar is hidden (bsp)

2013-11-03:
* updated c64_tools to latest version
* preliminary support for DSP overclocking
* when running from XFCE, holding pandora button while fullscreen game runs might kill it now (if you're lucky). Try it if the game hangs.

2013-10-27:
* added c64_tools from bsp, see http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/14334-announce-c64-tools-dsp-loader-and-ipc/
   use "sudo /usr/pandora/scripts/op_dsp_c64.sh" to init, DSP can then be accessed by programs through libc64 API
* kernel: updated to 3.2.52
* kernel: reserved CMA memory for c64_tools (this memory is still available to applications when c64_tools are not used)
* SDL: TV-out now automatically switches to scaler layer
* Tweaked TV-out and pandora-first-run-wizard scripts (EvilDragon)
* A few common firmwares added to /lib/firmware for wifi sticks

2013-10-18
* /etc/op-version should now be updated with online OS updates
* maybe fixed some time drift issues. After installing this update and rebooting, you may need to set your time once more to switch to correct timezone, after that it should stay consistent.
* Changed TV layer switch to Fn-l as F12 conflicts with other application functions

2013-09-21
* tv out script now looks at last used TV profile
* F12 now switches between graphics plane and overlay for tv-out when it's on

Changes since SuperZaxxon 1.54

2013-06-14
* SDL: rare crash fix on certain blits and working minimize icon

2013-06-11
* alsa dmix optimizations

2013-05-24
* kernel: updated to 3.2.45
* wifi driver tweaks

2013-04-16
* updated SDL_mixer to fix ogg seeking

2013-04-11
* configbutton now allows to customize CPU-speed setting in ~/.config-button/cpu-speed.conf (slaeshjag)

Changes since SuperZaxxon 1.53

2013-03-23
* PNDstore updated to work on latest firmware (Tempel)
* sample DisplayLink/udlfb xorg.conf added (Takedown)
* Kernel: USB OTG related crash fix + driver tweaks

2013-03-21
* Added DSP firmware and startup script to the main image, to be used by .pnds
* Kernel: another attempt to fix charging LED
* Kernel: added persistent_ram driver which preserves last kernel session log in /proc/last_kmsg (useful to debug kernel crashes, only works if unit is not powered down)
* Kernel: freed a few more MBs or RAM
* Kernel: wifi: added calibration NVS dump/load ability

2013-03-17
* OS updater: should now ask for reboot after kernel update
* OS updater: attempted to fix hang during update
* Config tray: added USB storage item (pmprog)
* Kernel: fixed potential crash on USB cable unplug

2013-03-14
* Added LED-Settings (EvilDragon)
* Added Wifi Nettool for MiniMenu (EvilDragon)
* Added file association support to PND system (skeezix)
* Updates to SuperZaxxon v1.54 RC, including the kernel

2013-03-05
* Updated angstrom-feed-configs to recover from some bad situation reported by Dunny

2013-03-03
* Updated scripts to support multiple SGX drivers
* Fixed libpnd related init scripts to reload correctly

2013-03-02
* pnd_run.sh: Updated to restore fb0 configuration (avoids screen corruption on app crashes)
* pnd_run.sh: Changed to also override XDG_DATA_HOME and XDG_CACHE_HOME to avoid NAND fillup

2013-02-14
* SDL: Fixed bugs caused by previous changes

2013-02-09
* Added sync before overclock related config changes, should reduce chances of data corruption after too much overclocking (EvilDragon)
* SDL: Changed how apps without SDL_DOUBLEBUF are handled. They no longer draw directly to fb now as that causes flickering in many games, instead screen is only updated on SDL_UpdateRect() calls now (the same way "default" SDL does it). This has performance hit and can be disabled, see README.OMAP

* SDL: Added NEON optimizations for 32bpp->16bpp alpha blits

2013-02-06

* Fixed input of special characters :)?#|$€ ...) in the login screen

* Added 'removable' flag in USB storage mode so that some Windows SD card tools work (Neelix)

2013-02-02

* SDL: Fixed TV-out not working on some SDL apps (forgot which by now..)

* SDL: Should now have .unicode set in SDL_keysym (fixes text input in some SDL apps)

2013-01-29

* Maybe fixed pandora-button-minimize behavior in apps using op_runfbapp (like Temper or DraStic)

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there an updater that only gets tested packages, that are unlikely to screw up the Pandora?

Is there an updater that only gets tested packages, that are unlikely to screw up the Pandora?
The stables are "tested".

updated: sorry, I meant to say. EvilDragon and the team release stable release snapshots (1.52). Those are tested to work and they try to make them stable... anything based on the "updater" will simply pull the latest packages.

that said, the updated will only pull packages that are related heavily to the core pandora OS... they're normally pretty safe.

If you are worried about stability, just stick with a stable snapshot because the community has tried to make them reliable.

How do I select the stable ones? When I try to start the updater, it just starts downloading packages, withought giving any options. Also, there appears to be a glitch, as if I click Quit, it starts anyway.

Also, there appears to be a glitch, as if I click Quit, it starts anyway.
This has been fixed, but you'd need to run this update thing to get the fix.
I know quite a few people have run this update without problems, I've seen only one report where running this resulted in broken system. It was bacause it downloaded packages from angstrom-distribution.org instead of openpandora.org , I still have no idea how that happened to him.

I know quite a few people have run this update without problems, I've seen only one report where running this resulted in broken system. It was bacause it downloaded packages from angstrom-distribution.org instead of openpandora.org , I still have no idea how that happened to him.
OK, I'll try it then.

Changes since 1.52, no ?
Too lazy to go through that, you can blame ED for not announcing that release.
I meant i thought this list was the changes since 1.52.

This is the list of changes since 1.53.

I didn't realise that 1.53 had been released as an image at the time, but I summarised the differences between 1.52 and 1.53 here.

How do I select the stable ones? When I try to start the updater, it just starts downloading packages, withought giving any options. Also, there appears to be a glitch, as if I click Quit, it starts anyway.
For 1.53 you could flash to the 1.53 image available here.    Note that since ED never announced this release, it was incorrectly labelled as 1.52 in the wiki for a long period.

Perhaps in future when building a release ED could make a PND with all "current" ipk's?   Though to avoid confusion I think if he does this he should call the menu entry "Upgrade to SuperZaxxon x.xx"   

(I seem to recall that people confused the "SuperZaxxon 1.52 updater" with the "Upgrade Pandora OS" tool.)

- Neelix

Actually I think I know what caused that. 

I seem to recall that shortly after SZ was initially released there was a post on the boards recommending an adjustment to the feed files for faster access to the Ångström repo. 

When 1.52 was released ED released a PND updater for it.   Anyone using that who had changed their feed files previously would not have had their feed files updated, but they wouldn't necessarily have realised that they didn't have an entirely clean install of 1.52.

- Neelix

I have been running SZ1.52 from an SD all year. I finally ran the SZ Updater after booting to the NAND: No problems.... The NAND OS now displays SZ 1.55 on boot.

I then ran the updater from my SD OS of SZ 1.52.....

It still boots the SD to SZ 1.52 though.

Is there another step I need to do to update an SD install?

Second: I copied the uImage-3 from the Fresh-Install 1.55 download onto my SD. It booted into a 3.2.45 kernel but the touchscreen does no work and pnds no longer execute. I am putting my 3.2.30 uImage kernel back on the SD. note; later I put uImage kernel 3.2.30 back on the SD and got the touchscreen and pnds working again. but I am still in SZ1.52 with kernel 3.2.30

There are far too many ways to setup OS an SD, so the OS update thing might be encountering something it doesn't like and failing. It's much easier just use it from NAND, what's your reason for using SD?

There are far too many ways to setup OS an SD, so the OS update thing might be encountering something it doesn't like and failing. It's much easier just use it from NAND, what's your reason for using SD?
Cause I never fill up the SD...... I have been running from an SD since I got my first Pandora. And if something goes bad I can then boot off NAND, fix the SD install, then reboot. I have upgraded the full way in the past but with all my configurations and edited scripts to fix things which have been posted before... I was hoping to use the OS updater. It worked for the NAND and it would be nice to find out how to get it to work from the SD.

First, in the past I was able to grab the uImage from the upgrade zip file and place it on my SD. I am running 3.2.30 kernel now and have been doing it this way since 2.6. When I swapped to the 3.2.45 kernel I lost touchscreen and the PNDs no longer execute. Swapped back to 3.2.30 and all was well again.....

Boot screen from NAND showed a successful 1.55 but from the SD still 1.52.   Anyone with ideas to successfully upgrade with a cold install? It SHOULD install like any other NAND install as it is the same SZ1.52 zip that I used previously to install on NAND and the SD in the first place.

Broken touchscreen is a sign of missing kernel modules. As you say SD isntall still shows 1.52, so 3.2.45 modules were not installed.

Back