Surely The Case Moulds Should Be Done By Now ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got another confirmation that actual injected parts will ship to me next week. Some of the molds are completely done right now, others (I suspect the more complicated ones like base bottom, outer lid and definitely hinge mechanism area on base top) are still being shaved and tweaked this week. I asked if the delays were because they were still cutting them or if they were testing them and thankfully the delays are because they are testing them. They have an NDS lite as a reference for the color (within a few shades, not necessarily 100% exact), matte finish and build quality that we are looking for (except for hinge build quality, our parts are much thicker there). That was the easiest way to get over the language barrier that always gets in the way. "You make this now!" seemed easier. ;) Hoping for the best as always...

Oh, and second wave production PCBs (3895) were ordered on Sept. 30 just to get in the queue. We knew they wouldn't be starting until after the Chinese holiday anyway which is how it went down but we wanted our place in line. That gave us time to resubmit modified files if we had to before they did anything, but not lose our place. The boards should be deep into formatting and CAM inspection by now and perhaps already into the etching stage of inner layers.

One quick question, when you say matte, how matte are we talking? I don't have a NDS Lite for comparison, but I thought it was be semi- reflective overall and a glossy outer lid.

Thanks.

Edit: At least that's what GIS returns when I look up the NDS Lite in black, and coincides with my understanding of what was planned for the Pandora.

MWeston said:
Well, like the inside of the NDS lite, or like the whole NDSi.
Thanks for the quick reply. GIS of those indicate a semi sheen to it, not like matte black construction paper where there is none... When I heard matte I was thinking of my TV which is matte but rough, I believe you are talking matte but smooth to the touch (I just noticed my LCD enclosure is matte but fairly smooth).

Sounds good, I'll have to go to a shop soon and handle unit. I'm positive you wouldn't go for a crappy looking surface.

Last edited by a moderator:
So the units shipped to MWeston next week will be samples that he will look over, correct?

When you say "next week" do you mean the week of the 26rd, or the week of the 19th (aka this week)? Because otherwise, how is this an earlier estimate than before? Mould completion on or before the 23rd, weekend, a few days for injection, and then shipping near the end of the week (say, the 30th)?

good news

but i'm just wondering why the chinese holidays matter to the pcb factory in texas?

dupey said:
good news

but i'm just wondering why the chinese holidays matter to the pcb factory in texas?

He was saying that while we have been waiting for the cases we have had the boards order all the time so we are in the queue.. saves delays and such

Awesome news btw :D

craigix said:
Yep, what a bastard that is to get off everything, especially the ceiling!
i hope it isnt an artexed. Gutted for you about the fire, had a similar one here a while back that took out the fridge,my Bubble Bobble arcade cabinet and the cat's litter tray. shite luck, make sure you have plenty of smoke detectors now and hope the insurance comes through ok.

MWeston said:
...the delays are because they are testing them.
...Hoping for the best as always...

Oh, and second wave production PCBs (3895) were ordered on Sept. 30 just to get in the queue. We knew they wouldn't be starting until after the Chinese holiday ... but we wanted our place in line. That gave us time to resubmit modified files if we had to before they did anything, but not lose our place.

All thoroughly informative and promising news - love it! The whole thing, but especially the quoted bits :) Many thanks for the update :D

When MWeston says that the injected parts are going to be delivered to him next week does this mean the completed mould or all the Pandora cases? Can't wait to see the cases, it looks really nice on the mainpage.

Shaun. said:
When MWeston says that the injected parts are going to be delivered to him next week does this mean the completed mould or all the Pandora cases? Can't wait to see the cases, it looks really nice on the mainpage.

A sample of the cases that is. Then he can say 'Go' again (if it is good)and then theyll make more.

(at least thats how I think it will be)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back