Temper Pc-engine/turbografx-16 Emulator V0.7

thanks, the emu works ok but I just notice that the max volume is low on my gp2x (f-100 mk2 fw.3.0)compared with the previous version, also I have a question, wich are the best settings to encode ogg files for use in temper?, I convert the mp3 to ogg and use 320kb/s settings but I notice the audio to be choppy in the emu that way.

Exophase said:
notaz said:
Looks more like forgotten sync() call to me. Might be full/broken SD card card too.
Should I really need to call sync after fopen, fwrite, fclose?

Yes or it might not be written if the system is turned off/reset before linux does it, and if you think about it people are most likely to do a save then turn off right away. Annoying little quirk.

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
Exophase said:
notaz said:
Looks more like forgotten sync() call to me. Might be full/broken SD card card too.
Should I really need to call sync after fopen, fwrite, fclose?

Yes or it might not be written if the system is turned off/reset before linux does it, and if you think about it people are most likely to do a save then turn off right away. Annoying little quirk.

He said he exited the emulator then lost it so I don't think that's what's happening now. Honestly I don't really care if people do something like this, they'll just have to learn to exit.

I always thought fclose sync'd anyway.

shinra said:
thanks, the emu works ok but I just notice that the max volume is low on my gp2x (f-100 mk2 fw.3.0)compared with the previous version, also I have a question, wich are the best settings to encode ogg files for use in temper?, I convert the mp3 to ogg and use 320kb/s settings but I notice the audio to be choppy in the emu that way.
Volume is lowered in this version to avoid clipping issues after mixing a bunch of different things.

320kb/s is serious overkill and you might be overtaxing Tremolo with that kind of decoding. I would try 128kb/s or lower (I've heard 96kb/s and it sounds pretty good too)

Exophase said:
I always thought fclose sync'd anyway.
fclose() flushes stdio buffers to Linux I/O buffers. sync() flushes Linux I/O buffers to the actual storage device. I think Linux should normally do sync on it's own in some time, but that doesn't seem to ever happen on GP2X, it floats until someone calls sync() or the OS runs out of memory, probably..

Great emu, I loved the gp32 for its PC Engine emu which was almost perfect, now I can enjoy the 2x even more with this emu.

I have only encountered one issue so far, the music on Dynastic Hero plays way too fast, the intro music sounds like the smurfs are singing it :) the game loads fine and the music plays fine on the Mac, the music is in OGG format.

Has anyone else had the same problem?

Cheers

A happy 2x user.

azurege said:
Great emu, I loved the gp32 for its PC Engine emu which was almost perfect, now I can enjoy the 2x even more with this emu.

I have only encountered one issue so far, the music on Dynastic Hero plays way too fast, the intro music sounds like the smurfs are singing it :) the game loads fine and the music plays fine on the Mac, the music is in OGG format.

Has anyone else had the same problem?

Cheers

A happy 2x user.
It's probably not encoded at 44.1KHz.

Exophase said:
Volume is lowered in this version to avoid clipping issues after mixing a bunch of different things.
Could there maybe a way to get the volume back to where it was in the previous version? It sounds low to me too. If it clips it clips, then the user will know to lower it a bit. I really didn't notice much clipping before. The thing is some games are recorded lower than others and you need a bit more volume for those.

You are the man Exophase. :)

Question: Was that really you who was posting on Gamefaqs on the PSP hardware board a long while back, or someone just using your name? :blink:

Just one that I was wondering for a bit now.

DaveC said:
Exophase said:
Could there maybe a way to get the volume back to where it was in the previous version? It sounds low to me too. If it clips it clips, then the user will know to lower it a bit. I really didn't notice much clipping before. The thing is some games are recorded lower than others and you need a bit more volume for those.

You didn't notice clipping because it wasn't mixing 3 audio sources. It's not a matter of the user making the volume too high there, it's a matter of having enough bit-space to mix things in. I'll see what I can do though.

A possible problem is if rips are reducing the volume to try to account for other emulators....

You are the man Exophase. smile.gif

Question: Was that really you who was posting on Gamefaqs on the PSP hardware board a long while back, or someone just using your name? blink.gif

Just one that I was wondering for a bit now.

Yeah that's me, you'll notice the account is from like 2002. That place was pretty terrible.

Exophase said:
You didn't notice clipping because it wasn't mixing 3 audio sources. It's not a matter of the user making the volume too high there, it's a matter of having enough bit-space to mix things in. I'll see what I can do though.
Hmm Ok.

Maybe there could be a way when playing HU card games the volume can be louder than the CD games?

Also is it possible to have adjustments per CD game that could lower the chip sounds and raise the CD music? Some CD music is real low and the chip sound is so loud that the CD music is hard to hear. That is not a bug but just the way the games were.

Or maybe all of that is too much trouble, just an idea though.

One thing would be nice if the HUcard games could be zipped. That would save some space.

DaveC said:
Exophase said:
Hmm Ok.

Maybe there could be a way when playing HU card games the volume can be louder than the CD games?

Also is it possible to have adjustments per CD game that could lower the chip sounds and raise the CD music? Some CD music is real low and the chip sound is so loud that the CD music is hard to hear. That is not a bug but just the way the games were.

Or maybe all of that is too much trouble, just an idea though.

Yeah, I'm considering all those things. At the very least the PSG rate for non-CD games. Some CD games use PSG a lot though, so it might be a little off balance.

DaveC said:
One thing would be nice if the HUcard games could be zipped. That would save some space.
Already supports bz2ed HuCard games.

Thanks exophase, I've waited so long for a decent Turbo emu for the 2X, and it goes beyond any expectations. Most CD games work perfectly but Sidearms Special can't play past the Title screen, Exile 1 has stage scrolling problems, and Shadow of the beast doesn't boot at all. All in all a great effort just the same. One more thing, Will the PC version of this emu be made available anytime soon? :ph34r:

Exophase said:
grahf said:
Exophase, i've tested with different system cards, and dumps from original CD. No matter what I tried, I was unable to get the bram to save. It seems that it is held in memory while playing (since I can switch games, reset, etc) but when I exit the emulator it is not saved to disk. Also, hucard games such as Neutopia II exhibit the same problem. Not saved on exit.
It DOES save a file, but the file is always 0kb. The "seperate bram for each game" does not help. I get different save files then, but they are all still 0KB.

Any advice? I have a MK1 1st edition with 2.1.1 firmware.

That's very strange. Can you run from telnet? We can do some more involved testing. I don't think this is general problem that affects everyone.

Do savestates work? Does your configuration stick?

Configuration and savestates work fine. SD is not full either, and ample time was given for it to sync after exiting. I save, exit, wait, restart the emulator and nothing.

I can telnet into my gp2x. I'll play around with it later and see if I see anything obvious, but I don't know exactly what I'm looking for. Let me know what you need me to check and i'll be glad to.

Looks like I forgot the fclose afterall. Oops. >_>

They're supposed to be closed when the app exits of course. Maybe this is a problem in different firmwares (somehow I've been able to get it to save OK here)

I'll release a touchup version within a few days addressing these issues. In the mean time stick with savestates.

Exophase said:
Looks like I forgot the fclose afterall. Oops. >_>

They're supposed to be closed when the app exits of course.
No they are not, because you execve menu on exit, all your files are left open.

tried almost 60 CD games, right now the ones with problems are Shadow of the Beast that doesn't go past the "press RUN button" screen (too bad because it's the best version of this game, beast also the amiga one in all the aspects) and Might&Magic 3 that freeze and crash the emu

:( Yeah true, Shadow of the beast don't work, when push RUN, i see only a BLACK SCREEN, exophase can you fix it?
Shadow fo the beast is great in PC ENGINE CD, thank you. :)

I found a minor bug. In the chip game Final Soldier on the title screen, the earth is jumping around a little on it's own. Also when you start the game there is this little window that comes up and itis flickering. The game seems to work fine though.

Back