The case of the case.

^

For my own benefit, could someone explain how the Sega layout is good for N64? On the N64, like on all Nintendo consoles the A and B buttons are laid out like the B and X buttons, and additionally it has the C button diamond. If you take away two buttons in that layout from a Sega layout, you're left with a 'tetris L' shape, not a diamond.

Subtracting the top and bottom left most button from a six button genesis controller does give you a cross shape, just not at an angle that is as favorable as the N64 C buttons.. But dare to say would be more favorable than the proposed layout... I however would be fine with ED's layout if it came to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
that we use say Y and B as the N64 A and B buttons leaving a perfect diamond for the C buttons?
I think that's the proposal, the diamond remains a diamond and the "bottom" two buttons are the A and B button. Why doesn't that sound ideal to you? I'm not disagreeing, just seems that if GG does get his way, that tthis is effectively how the N64 controller was actually laid out so it would seem more ideal than having to stretch for keyboard buttons.

For my own benefit, could someone explain how the Sega layout is good for N64? On the N64, like on all Nintendo consoles the A and B buttons are laid out like the B and X buttons, and additionally it has the C button diamond. If you take away two buttons in that layout from a Sega layout, you're left with a 'tetris L' shape, not a diamond.
I have given my 6-button layout N64 colors to help illustrate to you how it matches up with the N64 layout.

6button_N64.png

-God Ginrai

Why are the rightmost buttons not equidistant like the 4 leftmost are? Can't you even out the gaps so there is consistency? Even if you apply a very gentle curve to each row, I'm aure the buttons could be balanced a bit better.

=~. O =

Nintendo has always laid out it's A and B buttons on a line so they're equidistant from the base of your thumb (since the SNES anyway). As did Sega FWIW, except they have the B button right and up from the A button, while the SNES is down and left. None of them have the secondary button up and left, which is why I see that arrangement as less than ideal.

None of them have the secondary button up and left
Except for the N64. The proposed layout is the same as the original N64, at least in terms of approximate position. Wrong sizes and not quite the right position, but pretty close.

Why are the rightmost buttons not equidistant like the 4 leftmost are? Can't you even out the gaps so there is consistency? Even if you apply a very gentle curve to each row, I'm aure the buttons could be balanced a bit better.

=~. O =
 It is impossible to apply a curve and have the points be equidistant with so few points.

Nintendo has always laid out it's A and B buttons on a line so they're equidistant from the base of your thumb (since the SNES anyway). As did Sega FWIW, except they have the B button right and up from the A button, while the SNES is down and left. None of them have the secondary button up and left, which is why I see that arrangement as less than ideal.
You do realize that the actual N64 layout has the B button up and left from the A button, right? This is exactly what my layout is doing.

-God Ginrai

I have given my 6-button layout N64 colors to help illustrate to you how it matches up with the N64 layout.

attachicon.gif
6button_N64.png

-God Ginrai
 Nice, but will not happen. ;)

Recent pic of the current Keymat prototype from ED:

BnHzC2qCAAEByu8.jpg

Wow, that is indeed DENSE! I see no way to arrange the keys in a different way, already looks pretty crowded. And I already have concerns that the 2 extra action buttons cold be already to much to play comfortably.

Nice, but will not happen. ;)
We'll see...

Recent pic of the current Keymat prototype from ED:

BnHzC2qCAAEByu8.jpg

Wow, that is indeed DENSE! I see no way to arrange the keys in a different way, already looks pretty crowded. And I already have concerns that the 2 extra action buttons cold be already to much to play comfortably.
Can't see that, twimg is blocked here.

-God Ginrai

Why are the dpad contacts so much smaller than the action button contacts?
I guess because the dpad is not just made from the keymat itself (there is a plastic piece that still needs to go on top of that), while the keyboard and action buttons are keymat-only: unlike the Pandora where the action buttons are actual buttons, on the Pyra they will probably be like regular keys to simplify things and to allow backlighting.

Wait, wait ... keymat-only action buttons? From what I understand the action buttons will have keycaps just like in Pandora. And the plastic prototype case seems to confirm this (it has guides for the keycaps in similar fashion as in Pandora).

I would be worried if action buttons are keymat-only, don't think they would feel very good without a plastic keycap.

Thanks, Natsu.

Fusion_Power, it does not seem impossible at all. As evidenced by the Dpad contacts, the contacts that the buttons fit around can be made smaller.

_wb_, ED has specifically mentioned there would be plastic action buttons that go on top of the keymat. Using keymat-only action buttons would be a very bad mistake.

-God Ginrai

That's something I want to actually test. As you known from the Pandora, you can put epoxy on top of the keys - and it would also be possible with the action buttons. However, the epoxy on top needs to be thicker than for the Pandora, it needs to be fixated by the plastic surroundings of the case.

If that works fine, we'll keep it like that - but if it feels too squishy, we'll switch back to Pandoras design.

That's something I want to actually test. As you known from the Pandora, you can put epoxy on top of the keys - and it would also be possible with the action buttons. However, the epoxy on top needs to be thicker than for the Pandora, it needs to be fixated by the plastic surroundings of the case.

If that works fine, we'll keep it like that - but if it feels too squishy, we'll switch back to Pandoras design.
You can try it. But if it feels like the Pandora keys did, I know that I at least will dislike it in comparison to real plastic caps.

-God Ginrai

Hey EvilDragon, any chance that I can get ahold of that keymat model? FOR SCIENCE!

Back