The Day After E

Angel

"Nobody's gay for Moleman"
Website
www.brutallyhonestgaming.com
Regarding F day, wanted to get other opinions.

Do you think the GP32 will actually see any of these? I mean with the GPX2 on the horizon, and I've read in other posts that Ryleh might be a coder that is working on the emulators for the GPx2.

I was wondering what the hopes of some other members of the community were for these emulators. My hopes are very low since the GP32 is soon to be very obsolete.

Well I believe some of the time taken on his emu's was from the conversion to his new format he is developing. I believe you can read about it on his forums. It makes things extrememly easy for him to port them to and fro. So if you see them somewhere you can have hope to see them somewhere else. Also he is releasing the sources..so either way EVERYONE wins.

Yes, he developed HPL (Hyper Portable Library) on which all his emulators are based.

All he needs to do when a new system is out is, port his HPL to the new system.

As all his emulators use the HPL, all he needs to do then is recompile them with the newly ported library, porting the emulators is not needed :)

EvilDragon posted on Aug 31 2005 at 09:13 PM said:
Yes, he developed HPL (Hyper Portable Library) on which all his emulators are based.

As all his emulators use the HPL, all he needs to do then is recompile them with the newly ported library, porting the emulators is not needed :)

HPL...Rlyeh....I see a scheme here.... :p

Last edited by a moderator:
EvilDragon posted on Aug 31 2005 at 06:06 PM said:
He said he'll still release them for the GP32, so don't worry :)
My worry is the pack itself, i hope it wont be only one big, this could be a liitle bit big in size...

EvilDragon posted on Aug 31 2005 at 07:13 PM said:

This is good to make porting easy. Unfortunately it won't allow much in the way of system specific tweaking for speed increases. It doesn't allow for ASM cores for example.

Hanz™ posted on Aug 31 2005 at 11:07 PM said:
It doesn't allow for ASM cores for example.
I thought the GPX2 has the same ARM core as the GP32, shouldn't it be relatively the same?

Yes but the GP32 versions of his emus are "c" to keep portability. I think fGEN was an exception as it would have been unplayably slow in "c".

The gameboy, Coleco emus for example don't use any ASM Z80 cores. I asked him about adding ASM cores a while back and he said that he wasn't going to do that to keep it portable. Of course when the sources are released some uber l337 coder could aways add the ASM cores :)

Also as to the other comment here that the GP32 is "obsolete" well that is not true really. As long as it does what you want it isn't obsolete. Don't forget there are hundreds of these still out there. Just because the GPx2 comes out doesn't mean all GP32s will begin to evaporate into thin air. Some of you may sell them but the guy that buys it will be using it, so it is still in use. The price may come down for them but then those with little cash may be able to afford one and buy for the first time.

DaveC posted on Sep 1 2005 at 01:53 PM said:
Hanz™ posted on Aug 31 2005 at 11:07 PM said:
It doesn't allow for ASM cores for example.
I thought the GPX2 has the same ARM core as the GP32, shouldn't it be relatively the same?

Also as to the other comment here that the GP32 is "obsolete" well that is not true really. As long as it does what you want it isn't obsolete. Don't forget there are hundreds of these still out there. Just because the GPx2 comes out doesn't mean all GP32s will begin to evaporate into thin air. Some of you may sell them but the guy that buys it will be using it, so it is still in use. The price may come down for them but then those with little cash may be able to afford one and buy for the first time.

excatley!!
just look at nitendo, although the ds is out, theyE just released another gameboy.

People are still coding for the 16Mhz Gameboy advance, so how can you say the GP32 is obsolete, being 10 times faster, and supporting homebrew and emu's in a much bigger way? The only thing lacking is where to get SMC cards.

people still code for the Atari Lynx, Jaguar, 5200, and the 2600 so by your logic these systems are not obsolete. That makes no sense.

The hardware is obsolete. The GBA hardware is obsolete. The PSP has better specs, the GPx2 has better specs, the Gizmondo has better specs, the XGP has better specs.

There is no direct successor to GBA, Lynx, Jaguar, or, AFAIK, any of those consoles. Thus, in my opinion, they are not obsolete. Obso733t, if anything...

Angel posted on Sep 1 2005 at 01:38 PM said:
people still code for the Atari Lynx, Jaguar, 5200, and the 2600 so by your logic these systems are not obsolete. That makes no sense.

The hardware is obsolete. The GBA hardware is obsolete. The PSP has better specs, the GPx2 has better specs, the Gizmondo has better specs, the XGP has better specs.
In other words; the GPX2 is obsolete, since the PSP hardware is more powerful...

Squidge posted on Sep 1 2005 at 08:35 AM said:
People are still coding for the 16Mhz Gameboy advance, so how can you say the GP32 is obsolete, being 10 times faster, and supporting homebrew and emu's in a much bigger way? The only thing lacking is where to get SMC cards.

SMC cards can be bought real cheap online though.

Back