The Rabbit Joint

yeah it is! I mean, sure it looks good... but still it's a waste of resources. Same goes for xgl and compiz... still looks fucking hot though.

It all depends. If you are going to be using it as if you would xp (i.e. no transparencies, special effects, etc) it's almost exactly the same resource-wise. If you want all the trimmings, then sure, it may use a few more resources, but it's still not a lot.

It seems fashionable to diss Vista at the moment, and it's unfair. Of course it wasn't designed for old hardware, that's not progress, is it? But nevertheless, it will still run on older hardware, and even with all the trimmings taken away, it still looks a damn sight better than fisherprice xp.

Nova said:
It all depends. If you are going to be using it as if you would xp (i.e. no transparencies, special effects, etc) it's almost exactly the same resource-wise. If you want all the trimmings, then sure, it may use a few more resources, but it's still not a lot.

It seems fashionable to diss Vista at the moment, and it's unfair. Of course it wasn't designed for old hardware, that's not progress, is it? But nevertheless, it will still run on older hardware, and even with all the trimmings taken away, it still looks a damn sight better than fisherprice xp.
I concure! B)B)B)B)B)

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest I have found if you turn all the bells and whistles on with vista, i.e. Running the Aero theme, vista is actually faster and uses less resources. I'm pretty sure this is because a lot of the desktop is handled by the memory and GPU on the graphics card. Freeing the main CPU and RAM.
It makes sense if you think about it.

If you're not running the Aero theme, then everything is done via your main RAM and CPU, and that is a heavy resource hogger.

Nova said:
Not really. XP on the same box uses about 200M of RAM during typical load whereas Vista uses ~300-350M. This is with all eye candy deactivated, btw.

It seems fashionable to diss Vista at the moment, and it's unfair. Of course it wasn't designed for old hardware, that's not progress, is it?

Depends on how you define 'progress' and - in essence - what philosophy you're building on. Some prefer being able to execute certain core tasks really well rather than being able to do a wealth of things poorly.

But nevertheless, it will still run on older hardware, and even with all the trimmings taken away, it still looks a damn sight better than fisherprice xp.

Most don't care. The vast majority computer users just want to be able to carry on with their business without having to fiddle with the OS.

WarmFluffyUK said:
To be honest I have found if you turn all the bells and whistles on with vista, i.e. Running the Aero theme, vista is actually faster and uses less resources. I'm pretty sure this is because a lot of the desktop is handled by the memory and GPU on the graphics card. Freeing the main CPU and RAM.
It makes sense if you think about it.

If you're not running the Aero theme, then everything is done via your main RAM and CPU, and that is a heavy resource hogger.
Compositing window managers (like Aero, Compiz, Beryl) do take the strain off your CPU somewhat. However, it doesn't free up any RAM - quite the contrary actually, it increases RAM usage, in some cases (Aero especially) dramatically. If you have the recommended Vista 1GB of RAM, you won't see this increased RAM usage having any impact on your system's performance.

I suspect a lot of you are just pulling facts out of your ass, but do go on...

*pulls out fact from his ass* Well, you see, I do not agree at all. Ofcourse windows bashing is fashionable. Especially in a community full of geeks. But on the contrary, I do not see your definition of progress anywhere near logical. Progress in the name of microsoft means: throwing out an OS onto the market which requires everyone to update their computers with ridiculous hardware monsters. I am not going to doubt that vista is way more stable than any prior releases of windows, but I think that forcing "progress" like MS is doing once again is nothing more than trying to make the most profit with a product that should not be sold at such a price. Take a look at the software industry: they get sponsored by MS to make the latest games use the latest directX which will obviously only be compatible with windows vista. Instead of optimizing, huge and bloated APIs are utilized which suck everything out of your hardware (and use the latest features, which is not a bad thing, per se). Of course it makes it a hell lot easier for the studios to make games, they do not need to care about limitations of hardware. But people are forced to get a new computer every half a year. In about a year, everybody will want to use the latest ms office. That will not work with xp. In order to properly use vista, they will have to fork over their cash for another ram upgrade, possibly a newer gpu and mainboard including cpu ("because you know, this computer obviously needs to last a long time right?"). I call this inflational hardware usage. Less optimization, more bloat, more hardware requirements every frickin time.

That's why I got my gp2x. I am sick and tired of following the computer gaming industry. With a new computer you can't even play the latest games fullspeed with all details switched on. It requires a high end, terribly expensive "gaming" pc... I'd rather get an xbox360, save money and be able to play the latest games for a few more years instead of 6 months.
[/rant]

EDIT: typos

If you complete the survey, you get a free imaginary hat!

Survey

Sorry about this disruption of the flow of conversation, but I need some results so I don't have to make them all up.

nickspoon said:
If you complete the survey, you get a free imaginary hat!

Survey

Sorry about this disruption of the flow of conversation, but I need some results so I don't have to make them all up.

Write a function to make them all up for you. Oh the randomness!

Edit: filled it in.

Ah, the old chestnut of having to upgrade your PC to keep up with the OS eh. Actually don't you think the industry as a whole is also responsible for this not just MS. i.e. Why bother buy the XBox 360 if the old XBox should be good enough, simply for the games me thinks.

So is it the OS or the games that force us to upgrade? I think both, and I bet a load of people who have a machine running Vista will upgrade their machines further just to get the latest game that requires more RAM, more HDD space and a better GFX card to run smoothly with all the features turned on. I know I bought a new graphics card and more RAM just so I could run DOOM III and get the full experience, basically I am a Doom Fangirl, and I really wanted to play it as it was intended by the games creators.

To sum all it up, computing is always advancing, and at such a fantastic rate. We as a people love to keep up and have the latest thing, bitch about it all you want, it's the nature of technology, if it wasn't then we would still be playing Manic Miner on a ZX Speccy. And like a blind mugger I will take a mad stab in the dark and say, if it didn't, we would all be bitching about how technology never moves forward :D.

Nova said:
I suspect a lot of you are just pulling facts out of your ass, but do go on...

xnopasaranx said:
*pulls out fact from his ass* Well, you see, I do not agree at all. Ofcourse windows bashing is fashionable. Especially in a community full of geeks. But on the contrary, I do not see your definition of progress anywhere near logical. Progress in the name of microsoft means: throwing out an OS onto the market which requires everyone to update their computers with ridiculous hardware monsters. I am not going to doubt that vista is way more stable than any prior releases of windows, but I think that forcing "progress" like MS is doing once again is nothing more than trying to make the most profit with a product that should not be sold at such a price. Take a look at the software industry: they get sponsored by MS to make the latest games use the latest directX which will obviously only be compatible with windows vista. Instead of optimizing, huge and bloated APIs are utilized which suck everything out of your hardware (and use the latest features, which is not a bad thing, per se). Of course it makes it a hell lot easier for the studios to make games, they do not need to care about limitations of hardware. But people are forced to get a new computer every half a year. In about a year, everybody will want to use the latest ms office. That will not work with xp. In order to properly use vista, they will have to fork over their cash for another ram upgrade, possibly a newer gpu and mainboard including cpu ("because you know, this computer obviously needs to last a long time right?"). I call this inflational hardware usage. Less optimization, more bloat, more hardware requirements every frickin time.

That's why I got my gp2x. I am sick and tired of following the computer gaming industry. With a new computer you can't even play the latest games fullspeed with all details switched on. It requires a high end, terribly expensive "gaming" pc... I'd rather get an xbox360, save money and be able to play the latest games for a few more years instead of 6 months.
[/rant]

EDIT: typos

WarmFluffyUK said:
Ah, the old chestnut of having to upgrade your PC to keep up with the OS eh. Actually don't you think the industry as a whole is also responsible for this not just MS. i.e. Why bother buy the XBox 360 if the old XBox should be good enough, simply for the games me thinks.

So is it the OS or the games that force us to upgrade? I think both, and I bet a load of people who have a machine running Vista will upgrade their machines further just to get the latest game that requires more RAM, more HDD space and a better GFX card to run smoothly with all the features turned on. I know I bought a new graphics card and more RAM just so I could run DOOM III and get the full experience, basically I am a Doom Fangirl, and I really wanted to play it as it was intended by the games creators.

To sum all it up, computing is always advancing, and at such a fantastic rate. We as a people love to keep up and have the latest thing, bitch about it all you want, it's the nature of technology, if it wasn't then we would still be playing Manic Miner on a ZX Speccy. And like a blind mugger I will take a mad stab in the dark and say, if it didn't, we would all be bitching about how technology never moves forward :D.

You know what, all three of you are right!

WarmFluffyUK said:

Stupid moore's law :p

I love the backlight on my macs keyboard..

*keyboard goes light!*
*keyboard goes dark!*
*keyboard goes light!*
*keyboard goes dark!*
*keyboard goes light!*
*keyboard goes dark!*
*keyboard goes light!*
*keyboard goes dark!*
*keyboard goes light!*
:lol: :lol: :lol:

whatever... as you all know. argueing on the internet is like running in the special olympics.

so yeah... hmm, I think I wll drive down to the squat now and get drunk. maybe not. argh. los fastidios are playing in hannover atm. I could also go there and get drunk. or just sing along... i hate life, it's so random. also I really need one of those decision making eightballs (no I am not talking about cocaine).

I think it's clear who has the superior House avatar.

Back