The Second Batch Info Thread

Are the 2nd batch's SoC be 720Mhz standard or are TI still making the standard 600Mhz?

aesir911 said:
chris_merris said:
I wonder what the possibility is that the OpenPandora team is running low on funds?

very very high... this first batch is not designed for profit though. first batches never gain much (if any profit). they will just make up for it in the upcoming ones after that.

Actually, I would speculate that they're doing fine right now. If they can afford ordering a second batch, it means that the people in charge of whatever additional financing that is required see that the Pandora project is not just vaporware and that OP is a safe investment.

Unless, of course, they start taking pre-orders for a second batch soon... Then we know we're screwed XD

Last edited by a moderator:
Gilrad said:
Actually, I would speculate that they're doing fine right now. If they can afford ordering a second batch, it means that the people in charge of whatever additional financing that is required see that the Pandora project is not just vaporware and that OP is a safe investment.

Unless, of course, they start taking pre-orders for a second batch soon... Then we know we're screwed XD

What additional financing? I'm pretty sure this is all coming out of Craig, ED, and MWeston's pockets.

Kramy said:
Gilrad said:

What additional financing? I'm pretty sure this is all coming out of Craig, ED, and MWeston's pockets.

mainly craig...

Gruso said:
Maybe, but that's just speculation. They've all got finances on the line.

no, not speculation, fact. check it out. says he took all the risk (money is one of the examples of the risks).

Gruso said:
Well, there's more to it than that but let's not lead this thread too far off topic.

true. so it appears that the second batch will be the exact same thing as the first, since they've ordered more cases. when will they start selling them?

I guess they start surely AFTER the first batch has been shipped.

In the past, the line Craigx has passed in the forum was "we will ship before Christmas, then we will pause a bit and rest our nerves as the community provides all the addictional pandora juice, then we will start preorder for the second batch, that has a lead time of 6 months for some parts."
I think that, as the china company made them miss this deadline, they had to start rush things for the second batch, or else we would have a drop of pandoras every year .-D

I wonder if they would be taking preorders anyway... and if they would pause after this shipping before doing so.

One thing I think they should clear is about these procs 720 or 600. I think eveyone around here would like the extrajuice (mainly extra DOSBOX juice for me it would be .) )

People will be suspicious if they start taking preorders before batch 1 has at least started to ship out to customers. Preferably they wait until all Pandoras have either shipped or been receieved. There is now 4-6 months of waiting for parts for the 2nd batch so there's no hurry to take preorders unless they're running low on money.

If you walk into a bank with a fully functioning Pandora and say "Soon we start shipping 4000 of these that have already been paid for." I'm sure they are quite positive about funding the production of more. It's so much better then "Hi, we have this idea...".

BTW, aren't the 720 MHz CPUs the same as the 600 MHz, only tested and guaranteed to run at a higher speed?

Awakening said:
BTW, aren't the 720 MHz CPUs the same as the 600 MHz, only tested and guaranteed to run at a higher speed?
Correct. They're the same hardware, just "binned" according to test results.

aesir911 said:
Gruso said:

no, not speculation, fact. check it out. says he took all the risk (money is one of the examples of the risks).

"He did most of the organization with all the companies, the money, etc." -- I read this as saying he took on the responsibility of organising the money, not that he fronted the majority of the money.

WizardStan said:
They have to. There's a huge lead time for some of the parts. If they don't order now, those waiting for second batch will have almost as long to wait as those waiting for the first batch ;)
Exactly!
It's the right decision to order the parts for the second batch now and if they didn't do it, the whole Pandora project could have failed, imo.

WizardStan said:
craigix said:
The order is for 4000 + 4000 later in the year. The lead time is 4months+
What are you planning to do with the 2000 odd excess cases? Order another 10'000 made before the third batch? Better get started on that now ;)
Spare and replacement cases. PLus you know, some might get damaged under shipping or manufacturing. Better have a few extra, than find out that you might need 5 more due to unforeseen events and you just ordered 8000 cases.

wasn't it primarely coz 10000 was the minimum you could order?

that it covers extra cases and second batch would just be a plus

WizardStan said:
craigix said:
The order is for 4000 + 4000 later in the year. The lead time is 4months+
What are you planning to do with the 2000 odd excess cases? Order another 10'000 made before the third batch? Better get started on that now ;)

See if the Pandora 2 board fit's? And then have a 2000 pieces preorder? B)

4000 + 4000 + 3800 = 11800

that makes 1800 cases short not over, am I missing something here?

MonkeyChops said:
am I missing something here?
By the time they need more cases they will have ordered another load ;)
I suppose that it will get more fluid the more batches they produce and hopefully they can build up stock next year.

if 10,000 is the minimum then perhaps they will just order 12,000 to make it all nice and neat.

carlgeorge said:
aesir911 said:
Gruso said:

"He did most of the organization with all the companies, the money, etc." -- I read this as saying he took on the responsibility of organising the money, not that he fronted the majority of the money.

"Craig Rothwell ... is the one guy who took most of the risk of the project onto his shoulders. He did most of the organization with all the companies, the money, etc."

1) what other major risks could there be besides finances?
2) and why would all the developers let him move the money around if most of it wasn't his?
3) it appears that he is the only one with a store (at least what it says on the about us page), so would it be too presumptuous to say that he has the most money to invest, since he will be selling them on his store?

(don't really believe the second question, just thought it was another thing to think about.)

@MonkeyChops: perchance they have extras for spares? in case there are complaints, some are flaws, or in case people want to buy spares. just a thought...

Back