Torrentrawl

This topic made me LOL so hard, it's a shame the pirate stuff is removed. aha.

@peca google "freenet" basically it is an encryped internet that is totally decentralised and uncensored (yes that can be very bad....)

Uhhhh...the kind of application you are describing would be wayyyyy illegal.

There's nothing wrong with having a client like Deluge running on a port of Python and having a port of MoBlock, but you really can't defend an application like this.

quadomatic said:
Uhhhh...the kind of application you are describing would be wayyyyy illegal.

There's nothing wrong with having a client like Deluge running on a port of Python and having a port of MoBlock, but you really can't defend an application like this.
Only in some countries. It all depends whether auto-connecting to any available wireless network and downloading some of whatever it is you're trying to get in the longer term, even if only a couple of packets, is illegal. In some countries (including my own) it is, of course. But I'm quite certain in others it isn't.

Now, if you were to implement packet sniffing into the program such that it would try and crack into any nearby closed networks as well, then that becomes far less defensible.

The benefit of this program would be something like
- torrent, http, ftp, ed2k, and limewire downloads from the same app
- downloads take place even when you don't explicitly connect to one wireless network; rather the whole system acts more like Spiderman, swinging from network to network, and gradually making progress at each.
- side effect of partial anonymity.

You could also set up the program to do things like update offline caches of particular websites when possible. So if I want to read BBC news on the tube, then I'll still have an up to date version stored locally on Pandora as long as I've passed a WiFi connection on the way in to the station, despite there being neither WiFi networks nor cellphone reception down there. Which, I think, is kinda snazzy, and perfectly defensible.

The only thing that isn't defensible about the app is its original stated purpose of being enabling pirates to do piratey things. But once you get to thinking, there are many more uses for it than that!

Last edited by a moderator:
This does actually sound like a useful app. I go to a lot of places with free WIFI access - running this sort of thing with the Pandora still in my bag would be ideal.

Don't forget, Bittorrent is used for legal files too!

nubie said:
Brilliant. That is funny.

I never exactly got the point of the anti-piracy ads, it seemed to be inviting the guys who stole cars to try out pirating movies. It is a kind offer, but if they are stealing the cars maybe they pay for their movies, and the solid gold player/HDTV to watch it on.
Lol, that's brilliant, I never thought of it that way!

Well anyway, maybe we should use a very secure encryption protocol like rot13

Last edited by a moderator:
Erm... rot13... is that Caesar cipher, with an offset of 13?

*no comment*

hey

Hmm, and worse of all you may actually be causing harm to many others, as who has to pay the bill for all the downloads you make for those who forget or don't know how to encrypt their wifi connection :p.

I mean, over here I think it can add up to a great amount for folks with a bad ISP who have plans that don't shape/slow the connection, but rather make you pay for excess downloads.

cyas

what if i want to download a new Pandora firmware on the move? or... download the latest Ubuntu ISO file from bittorrent before i get home? this app would definitely be useful for legal means as well as piracy. there's no more reason to believe this app would encourage people to believe the Pandora is a "piracy device" than µTorrent for Windows makes it look like a "pirate OS"

torrent != piracy

Back