Understanding the lurkers

Are you a lurker or a poster?

• I'm a lurker. My Post/Month ratio is under 2. I have not ordered a Pyra.

Votes: 25 22.7%
  • I'm a lurker. My Post/Month ratio is under 2. I have ordered a Pyra.

Votes: 51 46.4%
  • I'm a poster. My Post/Month ratio is 2 or more. I have not ordered a Pyra.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I'm a poster. My Post/Month ratio is 2 or more. I have ordered a Pyra.

Votes: 25 22.7%
  • I like to respond to polls but have no interest in the Pyra.

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

That's an unusual position to have. I guess if you're a big Visual Studio fan I could just about understand you, but the weird-ass (and slow) Windows make system, the Windows paging strategy, and slow NTFS drivers just about swore me off using windows for anything serious. Linux might be obtuse at times, but once you've learned something, it's consistently applied, whereas in windows 10 I couldn't even edit a batch file in an installed app, despite being logged in as admin, and the file not being marked read-only, and the directory being writable. Somehow, in the end I managed to break that program entirely somehow and I had to reinstall it, so I still haven't been able to fix that bug.

No, I don't use VS at all - can't stand it. The only IDE I've ever really gotten into is Delphi - for C/C++ I tend to just use a text processor and the command line, but I don't do a lot of C. Maybe that's part of the problem - perhaps the IDEs you get for C/C++ on Linux really are amazingly good, and the ones I've tried for my Object Pascal work have been horrible.

I like Lazarus a lot too, although I left pascal a long time ago.

I code in Delphi professionally, and the IDE is pretty damned good - the debugger is sublime though. Lazarus is just a huge pile of unworkable mess compared to that. Inconsistent UI elements, broken debugging, a multi-window system on a desktop that doesn't really do windowing very well (Mostly using KDE here, but Cinnamon also is pretty bad) results in an unhappy Dunny. Fortunately Embarcadero provides PAServer, so I can develop in Windows and deploy to other platforms - though they're not going to be supporting Linux any time soon.

Delphi professionally, and the IDE is pretty damned good
back in the day I found it too expensive (as it is today too), I had this software ready, and I couldn't sell it because I had to buy a license (you can not sell your software if you have a student license). I rewrote it, used some stuff from sintel.net and it worked. I then used some C compilers that were free (I still hold on to my C++ Builder license, but have not done anything with it for... 20 years or so). Today, I still like stuff like TCC (Tiny C compiler) that allows C from the hashbang. But mostly it is perl or bash/gnu stuff. Data from a database or textfile, output is to excel, a browser or another database. The usual glue code using webservices.

[...] in windows 10 I couldn't even edit a batch file in an installed app, despite being logged in as admin, and the file not being marked read-only, and the directory being writable. Somehow, in the end I managed to break that program entirely somehow and I had to reinstall it, so I still haven't been able to fix that bug.
The permissions system in Windows is much more elaborate that in Linux, maybe that's where your problem came from. (Technically, by default every user is also one of the administrator types.)

If there were previous attempts at writing to the batch file, then the writing process might have been virtualized to the following directory:
Code:
%userprofile%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore
If that is the case, then altering the original file in its original location may not have the desired effect. Look around inside the VirtualStore folder, maybe you'll find a copy of the batch file.

And then, replace Windows 10 with a previous version because it's invasive and encroaching.

The permissions system in Windows is much more elaborate that in Linux, maybe that's where your problem came from. (Technically, by default every user is also one of the administrator types.)

If there were previous attempts at writing to the batch file, then the writing process might have been virtualized to the following directory:
Code:
%userprofile%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore
If that is the case, then altering the original file in its original location may not have the desired effect. Look around inside the VirtualStore folder, maybe you'll find a copy of the batch file.

And then, replace Windows 10 with a previous version because it's invasive and encroaching.

To evade the VirtualStore mess it is sufficient to install programs in a different directory than "Program Files" (and similar with x86/x64 etc...)
Personally I mainly use C:\Programs and C:\Games

back in the day I found it too expensive (as it is today too)

Oh, I hear that. Fortunately, my boss buys me the subscription every year so it's not a problem. Delphi 10 is unfortunately nowhere near as nice to use as its predecessors (I started with D1 and worked upwards from there - I think that either D5 or D7 was their absolute pinnacle) and feels bloated. But I suppose that's how all software goes if you don't just stop when it's done.

Back