Vektar Review

nickspoon posted on Aug 25 2006 at 05:08 PM said:
You can't copyright a game mechanic. Clones are perfectly safe.

I was just wondering, at what point does a game maker consider it infringement? Is it the use of a character that they have a trademark on? I remember Atari suing someone over the direction a game scrolled. I forget what the results was of that one. I also recall Nintendo getting all uptight about the Giana Sisters. I remember that I had a hard time getting a hold of that game at the time. When I finally did, it was great on my old Commodore 64. (tear comes to eye) I can still remember that first time. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
darkman posted on Aug 26 2006 at 12:01 PM said:
I was just wondering, at what point does a game maker consider it infringement?
People can consider anything they want to be "infringement", whatever you mean by that. If you mean what the law says is copyright infringement, I suggest you consider the number of "clone" games in the market and the number of successful court cases where a judgement has found one game to infringe on another game. People with more money will sometimes try to bully other people with lawsuits, but except for trademark issues or the direct use of copyrighted game assets I don't know if there are any cases where a court has found anything more vague like gameplay or concepts to be protected under copyright law.
I remember Atari suing someone over the direction a game scrolled. I forget what the results was of that one.
That was a patent dispute which is a different animal. It was settled and the details never made public.

At what point does a cartoonist consider another cartoonist's drawings to be infringement? :)

darkman posted on Aug 26 2006 at 07:01 PM said:
nickspoon posted on Aug 25 2006 at 05:08 PM said:
You can't copyright a game mechanic. Clones are perfectly safe.

I was just wondering, at what point does a game maker consider it infringement? Is it the use of a character that they have a trademark on? I remember Atari suing someone over the direction a game scrolled. I forget what the results was of that one. I also recall Nintendo getting all uptight about the Giana Sisters. I remember that I had a hard time getting a hold of that game at the time. When I finally did, it was great on my old Commodore 64. (tear comes to eye) I can still remember that first time. :)
Suing someone for the direction a game scrolls is a load of crap. I'm no copyright law expert, but I think that if you use the trademark or directly copy the media, it's a copyright infringement; otherwise, you're generally good to go. Well, I hope so, else I might get a cease-and-desist from Nintendo at some time in the future ;)

Anyone who remembers the "Fighters History" debacle can tell you that even if your game is a direct copy of another game, you can get away with it if you have money to fight it out in court.

Why can't we have a downloable version?
It would cost less and allow user to have more than 1 game in 1 card.
with 2GB or even 4GB card, where is the point soldind 64MB cards?

see you :lol:

washo posted on Aug 26 2006 at 10:42 PM said:
Why can't we have a downloable version?
It would cost less and allow user to have more than 1 game in 1 card.
with 2GB or even 4GB card, where is the point soldind 64MB cards?

see you :lol:
Craig is working on it already.

Dzz posted on Aug 26 2006 at 01:48 PM said:
At what point does a cartoonist consider another cartoonist's drawings to be infringement? :)

Fan art seems to be acceptable. It is only when you package it and sell it for a profit is at the point they become disturbed. ;)

darkman posted on Aug 27 2006 at 01:36 AM said:
Dzz posted on Aug 26 2006 at 01:48 PM said:

Fan art seems to be acceptable. It is only when you package it and sell it for a profit is at the point they become disturbed. ;)

It's called "fair use."

I got my copy of Vektar yesterday - damned fine game and well worth the purchase

I made it to Skullduggery this morning, but got stuck on a wall and then lost all my lives... so close to taking out that boss...

By the way, when do the extra modes open up? I didn't see any menu apart from level select so far, though I picked up the Spectrum at the end of the first area. Perhaps I have to finish the whole thing :eek:

Looking forward to the downloadable version too!

If you got the spectrum (from level one) and killed the sheep the spectrum should appear under level 1 on the main menu, if you start the level again you will see a new option appears giving downtime.

So, is the jukebox option another 'unlockable', or can I just set up the folder and it will play my custom tracks automatically?

craigix posted on Aug 28 2006 at 02:34 PM said:
No, just put them in there and it will work.

Yes. YAY! Got the instrumental version of Firestarter on there now ... twitchin' !!! :D :D

hmmmm, that's strange - I tried to fly over the spectrum, but bounced off - so I shot it instead for 1500 points, and then took out Sheepie - I don't see anything on the level select screen... I think I'm supposed to keep crashing into it, right?

Finally made it to Hades this morning - jeeez, this is one hard set of levels to get through... :eek:

Shooting it might count as collecting it, i'm not sure, you won't bounce off it if you disable the shield when you goto it.

Back