Volcano?

"Airspace in Scotland, Northern Ireland and parts of northern England is due to reopen on Tuesday after days of travel chaos caused by a volcanic ash cloud."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8630455.stm

WOOHOO!!!!! :lol:

Oh dear. Looks like the volcano has started erupting again, ash being ejected up to 15,000 feet. That's high enough to start affecting UK airspace again. If it continues, then we have maybe a 12 hour window before it covers the UK again. Subject to no change in the upper wind direction. Latest London VAA

VAG_1271698103.png

Since 1999, geologists have been uneasy around the Katla volcano as it showed signs of waking up and historically, every time the Eyjafjallajökull volcano erupts, Katla soon follows. The past two days has seen an increase of 200% in Katla’s activity. This isn’t something to just worry the residents of Iceland, but of the whole world too. Smog, famine, floods and freezing were just some of the things the last Katla eruption caused.

Monk said:
Since 1999, geologists have been uneasy around the Katla volcano as it showed signs of waking up and historically, every time the Eyjafjallajökull volcano erupts, Katla soon follows. The past two days has seen an increase of 200% in Katla’s activity. This isn’t something to just worry the residents of Iceland, but of the whole world too. Smog, famine, floods and freezing were just some of the things the last Katla eruption caused.
Yay! We're doomed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Want to see where the planes are? A little digging and voila: http://travel.flightexplorer.com/snapshot.aspx?imgIndex=22

Has a delay of a few hours, but it's the best next thing to actually seeing planes land with your own eyes :)

edit:
Oh wait, times are in EDT, so maybe this is real-time after all

throbber said:
Oh dear. Looks like the volcano has started erupting again, ash being ejected up to 15,000 feet. That's high enough to start affecting UK airspace again. If it continues, then we have maybe a 12 hour window before it covers the UK again. Subject to no change in the upper wind direction. Latest London VAA

By the information I was told, from a reliable source, they'll be opening the airspace and keeping traffic above FL200 starting early Tuesday morning. Volcanic ash at 15,000ft shouldn't be a problem for these flights, from my understanding anyways.

Overflying isn't the problem. However when you want to take off or land, you have to climb and descend through the ash cloud which starts at the surface and reaches 20,000 feet. Therefore any airports under this ash cloud are unusable. Latest from National Air Traffic Services:

"Statement on Icelandic volcanic eruption: Tuesday April 20, 0245

Since our last statement at 2100 (local time) yesterday, the volcano eruption in Iceland has strengthened and a new ash cloud is spreading south and east towards the UK. This demonstrates the dynamic and rapidly changing conditions in which we are working.

Latest information from the Met Office shows that the situation is variable. The information shows that Scottish airsports should be available from 0700 (local time) and more airspace over England may become available from 1300 (local time) although not as far south as the main London airports.

We will continue to monitor Met Office information and the situation is likely to change during the course of the day. We will make a further statement at approximately 0900 (local time), today, Tuesday 20 April.

NATS is maintaining close dialogue with the Met Office and with the UK's safety regulator, the CAA, in respect of the international civil aviation policy we follow in applying restrictions to use of airspace.

We are working closely with Government, airports and airlines, and airframe and aero engine manufacturers to get a better understanding of the effects of the ash cloud and to seek solutions."

If this continues, I'd like to invite the Pandora team to come to Austria to do the assembly - it seems it won't be so easy to get stuff shipped into the UK any time soon, and we here in Austria are fully ready to support the assembly team! :)

@Open Pandora Team ...Turkey is a option to consider now i think...

What do you think about it ?

Farox said:
@Open Pandora Team ...Turkey is a option to consider now i think...

What do you think about it ?

lol, why? what make you think you can reroute a packet already sent and bloqued in a random airport

i don't know if possible to reroute this package ...but this is a possible solution for the packages to be shipped from china..a flight to Turkey and sent by truck to UK.

i will swim to China and meet you on the beach - you can then hand me my pandora wrapped up water tight in a carrier bag - and i will swim back to blighty

There's already a large portion of stuff sitting at Craig's place waiting for the rest of it. If they suddenly find they can't ship stuff in, they'd still have to ship this stuff out in order to do assembly elsewhere.

It's getting to be a joke now ,i mean wtf this pandora will never happen at this rate as theres always something to cause delay and no one can do anything about a volcano so we are up shit creek untill this blows over pun intended,mabe OPT should look into other methods of travel for at least the stuff already in production as it is looking like a true possibility the volcano could be causing problems for quite a while and we really don't know if further problems will arise.

I really thought it was premature of some people to start topics with ideas of different shipping methods but now this is reality and i don't think flight paths will be open fully for quite some time and it could simply get worse.

Act of god - NO
Nature's Force - YES
Paddy

It's not OPTs responsibility to look into other methods of shipping. They paid UPS to get it there in a reasonable timeframe, UPS will find alternative methods of delivery if this keeps up too long. I don't know why everyone is so worried. UPS is a big company and, unlike OPT, they can throw money at a problem to find a solution :)

WizardStan said:
It's not OPTs responsibility to look into other methods of shipping. They paid UPS to get it there in a reasonable timeframe, UPS will find alternative methods of delivery if this keeps up too long. I don't know why everyone is so worried. UPS is a big company and, unlike OPT, they can throw money at a problem to find a solution :)

and most specifically i doubt openpandora can modify UPS alternative method of delivery... they are much too small clients...

Back