Wait The Initial Release Is Only 3000 Units

Arialia said:
And i think than many people who want a Pandora don't have the money for :( ( i'm hope i'm wrong )

I'm in that catagory.

I do however have a credit card! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
JakeK said:
Craig said that if there is enough demand for it they will make more.
oh goody, after a week they sell out then we're waiting 2 months for them to manufacturer more.

Paradox said:
JakeK said:
Craig said that if there is enough demand for it they will make more.
oh goody, after a week they sell out then we're waiting 2 months for them to manufacturer more.

That may or may not be accurate, but a week is more than enough time to get your order in if you really want one.

Paradox said:
Well, that's the risk you take. I'm not planning to buy one immediately (because I won't have time to actually use it), so if I miss out on the first batch then I'm willing to wait however long it takes until the second. If you don't want to wait "2 months" (which really is a short time), then you should get your order in fast.

joshwaan2k said:
I want to be on the 3000 list also :)
I think 3000 should be plenty. Given there are around 50-100 frequent posters on the pando forums, say another 500-1000 active readers (anyone got the forum stats?), I think these people should be covered if they pre-order. Who knows, the number of interested people may skyrocket one it gets closer to release - I hope it skyrockets! It'll be good for everyone in the end.

Svartalf said:
kneehighspy said:
as long as i am one of those 3000, it will all be good ;)
Perversely, I hope I'm one of the first 100, myself... ;)

i wouldn't mind being one of the first 100, but since i'm not really a 'dev', i'd rather have someone that can do some productive things (write apps) to have the initial 100. i'm thinking of just going ahead and getting a gp2x-f200 just to get my 'feet wet' with developing apps and software for these types of units. i know the two aren't compatible, but i am interested in writing some demos and intros for the units to get my skills up.

i used to write demos and intros for the apple 2e, c-64 and amiga 1000 back in the early to mid '80s for a couple of 'software' groups, of course i programmed in assembly then (6502, 65c02 and 68000) and the processors in the gp2x and pandora are nowhere near or even close.

but it would be great to get back into some sort of programming habits once again. i have written little programs on my atari 2600, colecovision and vectrex consoles. so i think i'm gonna go ahead and leave here and order me an f200 to tide me over till june / july when pandora releases, then hopefully make the preorder list (hell i'll prepay up front if i could).

but like the rest of you guys, i'm waiting :)

when the pandora talk first started i didn't have as much $$ saved up and had just shelled out for an f200. but let's just say the future looks "open".

rokdcasbah said:
when the pandora talk first started i didn't have as much $$ saved up and had just shelled out for an f200. but let's just say the future looks "open".

i'm really wanting to get back to doing some form of programming again, so i did order an f200 on 05/09 and it's supposedly shipped (according to fedex) and i'll have it on 05/13.

i'm hoping that the f200 will get me adapted to programming on these units and i'll be more comfortable when pandora ships (preorder please :) ) cause as soon as preorders start, i'm there and i'll be probably handing my f200 down to my daughter, she seems to need one of every handheld i purchase, which is why she has a gameboy sp, ds lite and a psp. but we both have one each so we can multiplay alot.

i may end up ordering two pandoras cause i know she's gonna want one also.

but i'm really looking forward to programming again, but my mind isn't like it used to be when i was programming on the 2e, c-64 and amiga 1000. i think it has something to do with age ;)

I think 3000 is way too little
my reasoning:

I have a friend who knows nothing about hand held gaming or the GP2X and he linked me to the pandora while shitting his pants.

Of course, he does use linux so he is into open source, but still, I think the market is going to be bigger than expected.

Peoples expectations for early sales figures are decidedly non-optimistic- a bit too much so I feel as I think people are totally underestimating the size of the target markets for this device and a number of important factors seem to be being overlooked, such as:

The most important issue that most people in this thread are overlooking is that the GP2X/GP32 audience =! the number of people who will be potentially interested in Pandora. Being a handheld used mainly for playing emus the GP2X is about as niche as it gets for consoles. Yes, the GP2X could play MP4s on some TVs but its delivery on that front was/is lacking (what with it needing a custom TV-out cable that broke easily, lack of supported formats etc.). Sound like these video issues will be no more on the Pandora with a full mplayer and standard AV out socket. The GP2X wasn't good at much else really. THe potential market for a powerful, cheap pocket-size computer is HUGE- the PSP and 2X don't address this segment and the Zaurus is dead so...

The GP2X wasn't released until almost a full year after the PSP so on release it was inferior as a gaming device with no real chance of ever being able to compete with the PSPs gaming gusto. By the looks of things this will not be the case for the Pand come June/July- Pandora is a unique device. People are also being very pessimistic on Pandoras chances of attacting commecial, big name support but I think Pand's super-spec and open development will make a lot of devs and companies sit up and take notice.

According to http://slashdot.org/faq/slashmeta.shtml

"How much traffic does Slashdot serve?

Slashdot typically serves 80 million pages per month. We serve around 3 million pages on weekdays, and slightly less on weekends.

Answered by: CmdrTaco
Last Modified: 7/12/04 "

Notice the date- those stats are from back in 2004 and you can bet that /. traffic has only increased in the last 3/4 years. So back in 2004 about 3M geeks visited /. every weekday. A large percentage of those are die-hard Linux or Free Software advocates, or at least it would seem that way judging on the articles they post and the comments they produce. So, if slashdot traffic hasn't increased but remained relatively static in that time but only 1% were motivated to buy the P were still looking at 30,000 salivating Linux geeks who have always dreamed of a cheap pocket Linux box with a good spec. This is JUST /., what about all the digg'ers, the Amigans, computer hobbyists and students etc. etc. From what I understand digg gets even more traffic than /.

The eeePC effect- there's a little Linux laptop thats been doing the rounds and I hear its doing quite well- that being the understatement of '08. The eeePC proved there is a massive market for sub-notebooks and therefore I would imagine 'pocket desktop' devices too. Thanks in no small part to the combined effect of the eeePC, Vista's smelliness and the ever-advancing Linux desktop, interest in Linux is booming.

Taking all those into consideration, Pandora features good hardware build quality and comes with a well-configured default OS setup then we'll be onto a WINNER which will have a sizeable effect on the computing industry I predict. eeePC has really shook MS up- they ain't seen nowt yet! ;)

danboid, you could be right. From my perspective, the Pandora is THE dream device, and I can see it appealing to a wide variety of people.

The addition of a keyboard means husbands/kids can justify its purchase to their wives/parents as a cheap pocket computer, much like an Amiga was a "business machine" :) It will never replace say a Blackberry for serious business users, but it offers the versatility to do basically everything, alongside dedicated gaming controls.

That's before even considering its media use... being clamshell makes for a great desk-based video player, along with the long battery life, full mplayer and great storage potential (2xSDHC, USB HD, Wireless streaming???) -- I just hope someone ports SIDplay and/or Oldplay!

To have all of this in such a small size is a great achievement.

I totally agree with the above 2 posts IF it cost £100, the fact is its costing £200, which of course we all hear know its a great price for what you are getting, but it IS a niche market and alot more research is done when spending £200 compared to £100 when buying things.
As I've said in another thread, we all know the 3000 will sell out quickly be it a week or a month they WILL all sell out, but I think people are expecting too much, even the guys making the thing don't expect the servers to crash with orders of all 3000 in 24 hours! Hey I don't mind being proving wrong! but the developers have got their heads firmly on their shoulders when it comes to sales figures and they have done their research in what is likely to happen.
Just a shame they don't come in ltd edition boxes each numbered and hand signed by the crew!

We all know Craigix and co has ploughed a lot of money into this console so far. If the cost price is £100 (NOT FACT, absolute guess), then that means £300,000 required for the first production run. I'd say its more sensible to sell those 3000, get £300,000 profit (again, a guess, and not taking expenses into account) then they could manufacture another 3000 for 'free', or 6000 if they have the orders.

Borrowing a million pounds from the bank today to make 10,000 Pandora's might not be practical, considering the banks will not even lend each other money currently.

Pocket computers that can do 90% of what a laptop can do will NOT be a niche market- the fact of the matter is that no-one has done it properly yet. Also, unless you've seen pdaXii13 or pdaXrom running on a Zaurus cxxxx series device you probably have no idea just how capable the Pandora will be- you will be surprised what you can do under Linux with 128MB RAM and a 600/900Mhz CPU!

The Z never reached it full potential as Sharp weren't bothered about supporting it and never created an X11-based OS for it. On top of this they never 'got' open source and were pretty hostile to devs wanting any info or help. It was more like a flashy advert for their screen tech. This is not the case with P, we know that. OK, so it will come with a closed GFX driver but there's the hope one day they'll be a FOSS GFX driver and most people aren't bothered about hacking their display driver, I think.

£200 is a massive, massive bargain. You're currently paying about £300 for a Nokia N810, which is about the nearest comparable device currently available. In fact, to do everything that the Pandora does in a portable form factor you would need to lug a N810 and a PSP around - thats 2 pockets filled and about £450 removed from 'em.

Still think £200 (at release!) is too much?

Ireally want one asap but I think I'll wait for the second batch.... just so every one can test thiers and the feedback iron out the little niggles if any ;)

Well, I don't know about the market and such (though I think it'll catch on once CNET reviews it ;) ). All I know is I want one, so I'm not going to wait an hour past the release date to find out what the demand is. :D

Back