What software do we want from the Rebirth Competition?

How about an app that crawls Facebook dev pages to index the download links in a useful, browsable fashion?

abpja.jpg

Seriously though:

- A guitar chord reference that works similar to this . Throw in a simple tuner function for bonus points.

- Some sort of MP3 DJing app like the many available for Android, but with USB controller support.

- Improved MAME 106 (GUI & controls)

- FBA

I also have high hopes for FlashMenu (see beta forum) which will be one of the entries.

Both Pandora MAMEs need work, 106 has a lot of games not working.

FBA would be a dream come true :eek: :eek: , its amazing in the xbox1 emulator so should run great on Pandora. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to see some sort of HTML5 Canvas -> SDL hack so we can have HTML5 games at a decent speed.
nice! I really hope something that is platform independend like HTML 5 will become a popular standard for game development.
No doubt about it in my eyes, see some of the google WebGL experiments to see what's possible.
Funny anecdote: about 9 or 10 years ago I knew a guy in university that insisted that JavaScript would be the way forward. At the time, JavaScript was fully interpreted, had no real error checking, the extent of graphics was the ability to manipulate the document to move an image around, there literally seemed no chance of anyone ever using it for major grunt work, especially for things like games. I am now coming to suspect that he was a time traveler.

Some things I would vote for:

• Sat Nav (with UK postcode support if poss.)
  • A crossplatform C/C++ 3D library that makes developing easier for Windows, Linux and the Pandora.
  • A simultaneous turn-based strategy game (something like Frozen Synapse or SteamBirds)
  • An addictive, "short and simple" (as in easy to pick up) game that has a lot of replayability (Some games I could consider "short and simple" in this context: Altitude, spout, rRootage, AAAA, Street Fighter)
  • Somebody writing my game for me ;)

Here are two things I'd like to see (and am planning to get around to - eventually - if no one does them) that should be possible to get right in the time allotted:

• An open-source/free-as-in-speech replacement/workalike for PictoChat with Gravatar support
  • An open-source/free-as-in-speech replacement/workalike for Hatena

I've already got too many 'secret' projects going at the moment, so I'm not going to attack either now, but if anyone wants to try either and needs help, I'd be happy to do what I could, and yes, I will vote for your competition entry. :)

As far as emulation goes this is a bit of an odd request...

Someone should write something that would allow you to use the touchscreen for games that would require a light gun or super scope or what have you. I think this would be really cool feature and to my knowledge has never been done with a hand held before.

I'd imagine this would be no more difficult than the way desktop emulation works using a mouse for games that require a gun or DS emulators for that allow you to use a mouse for the touchscreen on the DS. So just use that code and input it backwards :p

I haven't received my pandora yet and i haven't updated any emulators on my Gp2x wiz in almost a year so if this is already something that exists I apologize. lol

You'll hopefully be pleased to know that notaz has already sussed out and implemented lightgun translation to the Pandoras touchscreen in Pcsx-reArmed. :)

Thus, a host of guncon games work very well already.

Perhaps his code could be deployed in other emulators aswell? Or maybe a nifty piece of software, would allow for recognition of real hardware lightguns via usb and permit their useage via the Pandoras TV-out in relevant emulators?

Using CRT TV's only of course.

Unless you want to wave a WiiMote or PS3 ping pong ball about your lounge, in a simulation of helping a blind person let rip on a firing range? Still cant cut that frickin pizza in 'Serious Drivel' either :(

As sister products sporting the same physical controls bar the shoulder buttons, I also support the iCP / Pandora suggestions, at either the firmware level of the iCP's modes, or a configurable, mapping and scheme selecting GUI, that allows for fast useage of the Pandora via TV out, for anything not requiring text input. For which a wireless or BT keyboard can suffice via a hub.

In addition to the above ease of use of the Pandora via the iCP, I would love to see development of the Bluetooth capabilities of the Pandora, planned for Yar's iirc.

I want this:

Deep powersaving state using the third position of the power switch

Postion 1) normal/on

Postion 2) standyby

Postion 3) deep powersaving, either total shutdown? Maybe turn off everything but the kernel and saving the desktop state to the sd? ( can you do that) Or just better power mangement than we have, I know Wizardstan and a few others are already working very hard on this :) thanks guys

My wishes in descending priority:

- a descent NES Emulator (i know there are some around but sadly they all need more than a little polish)

- Implementation of standby and/or hibernation

- Emulation of Bluetooth / USB HID protocols => Pandora can act as a bluetooth/usb mouse/keyboard/joystick/whatsoever or even better in combination (but I don't know if hid device classes cover combinations). Imagine you have a pc in front of you that needs some servicing, but you don't have any (spare) mouse/keyboard available - you then just pull your pandoraman super usb kabel out of your jumpsuit and are good to go :D )

- possibility to use the pandora as a WLAN Access Point - mostly to share a internet connection via Lan/WLAN/UMTS

- utilization of the locked state of the power switch

DJ software has been mentioned, but I'm going to get specific and mention Mixxx. I added supporting information (for the happy porter) on the port requests wiki page.

Last edited by a moderator:
i would like to see faster loading version of angstrom. All angstroms boots like lazy snail compared to DINGUX where boots takes 3-5 second.

It has a lot more features and libpnd in comparison to dingux :)

How about an app that crawls Facebook dev pages to index the download links in a useful, browsable fashion?

abpja.jpg

Seriously though:

- A guitar chord reference that works similar to this . Throw in a simple tuner function for bonus points.

- Some sort of MP3 DJing app like the many available for Android, but with USB controller support.

- Improved MAME 106 (GUI & controls)

- FBA

I also have high hopes for FlashMenu (see beta forum) which will be one of the entries.
++2

Not really, since PND app are not on FB servers :) but its something like missing link between my apps [from FB] + pandorawiki apps + sebt3 beta repo.. basically everything thats not on official repo :)

Are there any Package-Managers with a nicely plugin based libraries list, so you could point it at any organized list of software and it would allow the user to browse is seamlessly?

Then anyone could setup a new repo/appstore and just provide a plugin for the client software.

Am I missing a point or two?

Are there any Package-Managers with a nicely plugin based libraries list, so you could point it at any organized list of software and it would allow the user to browse is seamlessly?

Then anyone could setup a new repo/appstore and just provide a plugin for the client software.

Am I missing a point or two?
The repo spec is open, isn't it? Anyone can setup a server which adheres to the spec and in theory the clients could be augmented to support multiple repositories.

Back