why are we talking about a 2nd batch?

Bigun

Website
www.pwnedclips.com
My spot in the first batch was @ 800 to 900. I may be mistaken (God knows I hope I am), but the OPT wouldn't be talking about a second batch unless the first was finished or close to finished.

I made a post on the last forum that calmed my nerves.. people in the 500 to 600 area didn't have theirs yet either.

But now that the second batch is being talked about I'm worrying again. To add to the worry, my mail server fell to a DDoS attack and I had to take it out of the rack (on a side note, if I can get a mod to get with me to assist with changing my e-mail address, I would appreciate it) so I can't get any emails.

Where is everyone in their queue and do you have a pandora yet?

Well your order place is just about the number of pandora's delivered i think, and that count for all 3 stores.

Yours will be coming soon i guess :)

(was between 400 and 500, had mine for about 2 months now, no joke ; )

My spot in the first batch was @ 800 to 900. I may be mistaken (God knows I hope I am), but the OPT wouldn't be talking about a second batch unless the first was finished or close to finished.

I made a post on the last forum that calmed my nerves.. people in the 500 to 600 area didn't have theirs yet either.

But now that the second batch is being talked about I'm worrying again. To add to the worry, my mail server fell to a DDoS attack and I had to take it out of the rack (on a side note, if I can get a mod to get with me to assist with changing my e-mail address, I would appreciate it) so I can't get any emails.

Where is everyone in their queue and do you have a pandora yet?

Well, if we wouldn't be working on a second batch now, it would mean no Pandoras for the next 4 months after the first batch, as the parts have that high leadtime.

We want the Pandora production to be stable and steady, so it makes sense to have it as closely after the first batch as possible.

It doesn't delay anything in the first batch, too, as it will start after the first batch is finished.

Regarding your mail Adress: Want it changed here? Send me a PM with the new one.

I went out to breakfast with some in-laws this morning. One of the members of our partys food didn't come out with the rest of ours. It was some kind of omelet. I watched as 3 or 4 other tables' food was delivered over about 10 minutes before the missing plate came out. I know it's not the same thing, but when I worked in a restaurant and when an item was missing from an order, the fix was #1 on the list. I just thought it was strange to not get the food out for a painful 10 minutes (for her). How long do eggs take to cook? a few minutes? Get them out ASAP!

I was very lucky to be in the very low preorder queue, but I really think it would be a good idea not talk too much about batch 2 until more of the first batch are out. It was a frustrating wait and at this point only <%25 of people have their pandoras who ordered oh so long ago. We know it's not vaporware, but you gotta make some hardcore early preorders happy soon. (And yeah, obviously this is to keep the 2nd batch not so far off, but nobody who preordered cares about batch 2.)

yeah it's not a problem for me if they start getting preorders for 2nd batch.. why not ??

Mac

Batch 2 should be right behind batch1 - and by then it should be just a case of making more, not very much design work to do (maybe software tweaking).

I'm still waiting (and will be for a while :( ) but I'm quite happy for them to talk about the second batch. It's better for all of us that the Pandora is as successful as possible as soon as possible.

I've ordered late, so I'll get my unit toward the 2nd batch, and as far as I know I'm happy to know about the status of the upcoming 2nd batch. In my opinion, all information on the current status and the upcoming part shipments are always welcome.

I went out to breakfast with some in-laws this morning. One of the members of our partys food didn't come out with the rest of ours. It was some kind of omelet. I watched as 3 or 4 other tables' food was delivered over about 10 minutes before the missing plate came out. I know it's not the same thing, but when I worked in a restaurant and when an item was missing from an order, the fix was #1 on the list. I just thought it was strange to not get the food out for a painful 10 minutes (for her). How long do eggs take to cook? a few minutes? Get them out ASAP!

;) If it would just be 10 minutes, it's fine. But we're talking about 4 months at least here.

And there is one difference: Batch 2 won't be delivered before Batch 1.

And I'm pretty sure even in the restaurant where you've been the waiters took orders from other guys before they have delivered all the old ones. :)

Just imagine: You go into a restaurant and can't order because someone else is waiting for his food which takes about 5 minutes to make.

Then there are probably 4 more customers waiting before you... so that would mean you would have to wait 25 minutes before you could even order :)

I get the analogy, and I think we all can figure out 'breakfast plate<>pandora'.

So, ED, are we looking at 4 months before another Pandora ships? Or until all first batch orders are finished?

I'm asking only because it's hard to filter through the chaos sometimes to establish some sane order.

I am under the impression there's still 500 boards to build Pandora's old-style.

then real mass production begins. (with probable delay first)

I'd really like to be corrected / confirmed.

There's an Official OpenPandora News section now Bigun, have a look there ;)

See, that's the thing, it's hard to tell if its just because they haven't got to the spot in the queue yet, or if they did skip me somehow. That was the original intent of the post anyway. I'm sure some other people are probably curious about their own order as well.

The whole "batch" concept is kinda lost on me now that the units are trickling out a few at a time over a long period anyway..

My understanding is that they will be going out at about X per week (can't remember the number) once things are rolling again until batch 1 is complete, and then will continue rolling out at about X per week when starting batch 2. The seperation is kinda moot at this point if you ask me :)

OK it was a bad analogy. I was just thinking how, even though I had my meal, it was hard to watch other people receive theirs before my friend... I guess it's not the same thing at all... LOL - whatever, I just remember hearing about batch 2 and it was a little annoying. I am just "understanding" the original poster. I'm not saying don't worry about batch 2, just saying that none of the people who ordered so long ago want to hear about batch 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
The issue here, and the reason why it is appropriate for OpenPandora to be talking about batch 2 already, is one of... process, I guess.

The first batch is taking forever because it is just that, the first. We've been talking about the first batch for years, because EVERYTHING had to happen before it could ship, but with the second batch, all that so-called "EVERYTHING" is already done, except the actual production of the individual second-batch units.

They have to talk about the second batch now so that they have orders to ship when the first batch is over, in other words. They don't want to sit idle for two months while they wait for people to order second batch units, when they could have just taken the orders beforehand and had work to do and units to sell.

As far as I can tell, the second batch order discussions aren't taking anything away from the first batch production (I trust that getting all the first batch units out is OP's first priority), and in fact taking more orders for the second batch might even SPEED UP the first batch, because it allows OP to place larger orders with their respective factories, granting them a better place in line. Buying in bulk saves time and money, so we shouldn't complain if that is what they want to do.

Yeah, i get it. I completely understand the 2nd batch... It was just false hope for some later first batchers when they were shipping 200 in a week. They "should" be long shipped by now, but that's not the case, and like i said, i totally get why someone in the 1st batch doesnt want to hear about the 2nd.

I have the same feeling. People are talking about 900 shipped, but by all the polls and so forth that were made, I should be somewhere from 400-600 in line (never asked for my position). Now I know these are rough estimates, but I also know that at least one person who ordered at around the same time as me has received theirs (my confirmation e-mail came at 15:47 UTC, and at least one happy Pandora owner got their mail at 15:48). Even accounting for ED's units, Craig should have shipped more than 600 Pandoras by now.

I had to re-order twice, the first time due to the Paypal issue, and the second to the bank problems. The many assurances notwithstanding, I suppose I have to hope that these affected my queue position, because the alternative seems to be that my order slipped through some crack.

I have the same feeling. People are talking about 900 shipped, but by all the polls and so forth that were made, I should be somewhere from 400-600 in line (never asked for my position). Now I know these are rough estimates, but I also know that at least one person who ordered at around the same time as me has received theirs (my confirmation e-mail came at 15:47 UTC, and at least one happy Pandora owner got their mail at 15:48). Even accounting for ED's units, Craig should have shipped more than 600 Pandoras by now.

I had to re-order twice, the first time due to the Paypal issue, and the second to the bank problems. The many assurances notwithstanding, I suppose I have to hope that these affected my queue position, because the alternative seems to be that my order slipped through some crack.

I just got an e-mail stating my queue number has changed from 800-900 to 1100-1200, she may have low-balled the estimate accidentally. She's estimating about 3 to 4 weeks for delivery. So I feel better now. See everyone in about a month to dread over it again. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back