wifi driver + kernel updated - please test

Ran update OS and now my desktop is black with no icons...  settings still say it's the default desktop and all still works Via the Pandora button?  just weird.  Anyone know how to recover the desktop?

Last edited by a moderator:
So far my experience with the update is that my WIFI is stable, runs faster and seems to be working much better.  I have only updated my Ghz model and will get my Rebirth unit back from a friend in a few days and will update and try on that unit then.   Great job.  Notaz you are simply amazing!

Wireless seems fine for me (Rebirth)... Just pulled a couple of updates with PNDManager and the transfer rate stayed pretty stable - before, it usually was wildly fluctuating over time.

On a different note - I know it's not a kernel thing, but did something change witch modeswitching for certain 3G USB sticks recently? I seem to remember that my Huawei E1750 used to "just work" with SuperZaxxon last year, but now it stays in mass storage mode.

May or may not be related but I'm posting my issue here just in case.

I forgot to charge for a few days and my battery went dead while it was sleeping. After I plugged it in and booted back up I could not get it to connect to wifi at all. I tried several times, disabled and re-enabled it, tried re-entering the password, tried my phone's AP, just wouldn't connect to anything. Shut down and rebooted properly and suddenly it's working again. I'll try to test this hypothesis more later.

Well, been awhile since I had my Pandora all updated and stuff and I gotta admit I'm glad I did... Really noticing a difference with this on mine, still slow as sin, but it's downloading a complete file in pandora manager and was snappy to bring up simple websites, can't say my pandora's ever done that... (cc) Mind you I also updated firmware today too, so that might've helped too.

I'm really tempted to try to solder a resistor over the other already there in my CC pandora to finally fix my poor wifi.

I have a solder, but not suitable for this type of smd dimensions....but i could try....or maybe find someone near me that have the dedicated hardware to solder it...but first i need to have this resistor.

Do you have some link to shop online that sell this type of resistors ? (i think 1000 Ohm ...0402 format...)

Thanks

Is there a way to make the following permanent?

echo 10000 > '/sys/bus/mmc/devices/mmc2:0001/mmc2:0001:1/ps_rate_threshold'

Is there a way to roll back to the previous Wifi driver configuration without losing the other post 1.71 OS updates?

Thank you for suporing the Pandora!

Thanks but I really need a way to roll back the latest Wifi driver changes.

I keep getting dropped from Wifi with this in dmesg:

Code:
[201360.107574] wlan0: deauthenticated from xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx (Reason: 7)

Same here, I just assumed that it was the router - dunno why, because I just reboot the panda and all is well again for an hour or so :)

I should really just stop using the wifi, it's nowt but trouble on my CC :)

D.

Rebirth user here. The update works super-dooperly for me. Wifi now works faster, is more stable, and connects faster. Also one issue is gone, that I had, that Pandora could not connect to Wifi in my home when my PC was connected. Now I can connect both at the same time. Thank you :)

I guess I'll need to add an option to revert to old behavior.
Hi notaz,

Is there something I can do/edit from a SZ 1.71 reflash to just not pick up this wifi update?

Thanks!

OK I've added a way to switch to old behavior, run the OS update and create a file named /etc/pandora/conf/wl1251 with this content:

Code:
use_fw_ps=N
The update now also comes with 3.2.69 kernel which has some other wifi fixes, namely related to association. I've also switched the default mac80211 rate control mechanism from "pid" to "minstrel", as that's what other distros use, and "pid" was removed from newer kernels completely (don't know why we used it in first place). Haven't noticed any changes here from this, but maybe it will help somebody.

This latest update works well! No more Reason 7 disconnections.

Thank you very much,

:)

It started working with the update alone. I am now testing the old behavior (use_fw_ps=N) to see if there is any noticeable difference.

The update now also comes with 3.2.69 kernel which has some other wifi fixes, namely related to association. I've also switched the default mac80211 rate control mechanism from "pid" to "minstrel", as that's what other distros use, and "pid" was removed from newer kernels completely (don't know why we used it in first place). Haven't noticed any changes here from this, but maybe it will help somebody.
That looks even better than before. PNDmanager on my Pandora is currently downloading the big LibreOffice update file, showing consistent 500-600K/sec (which is about the expected max on my DSL line). That's with the "new beahviour".

Btw., a couple of months ago, Linus wrote about a patch that lowers the rate of authentication packets being sent by the kernel in general - I guess that's exactly the association-related change you're mentioning: "[..] except for the fact that the UniFi APs are apparently quite picky at authentication time, and really don't like clients that optimistically connect using authentication packets at high data rates. Which the Linux 802.11 layer does by default. [..] I have a patch to make Linux just connect at slower rates, and that makes it work well.", here: https://plus.google.com/+LinusTorvalds/posts/HQF92MY5y8o

Back