$1 Pandora.

After waiting all this time and having absolutely nothing to show for it I can't bring myself to give you any money at all. not without losing my self respect any way. I might buy a T-shirt if I like the look of it and think it's worth it but that's as far as I'd go.

I will donate directly to developers and the gp32x.de forum when/if I finally get my Pandora but I won't pay a penny towards this forum or any other sites to do with OpenPandora as a business. At the end of the day these are company web sites and paying to use a companies web site or forum donating to help run a companies web site or forum just seems wrong to me for whatever the reason. Especially when it was Craig that wanted to split from gp32x.de and set up this forum in the first place.

I see this as a bit of a p*ss take in all honesty after the other ways that they've gotten money out of their supporters over the years :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do people have to announce that they aren't donating? It is really not something that is relevant or anything. If you're not donating, keep it to yourself, that's fine. Same with the people who say "I donated!"

Its not about looking for praise or giving a detailed description about why you did or did not donate, its about the donations themselves.

Can I suggest a 3 year pre-orderer icon for those who have waited the longest with nothing to show for it.

Definitely. An icon for those of us that pre-ordered on the first day would be nice - the earliest of adopters, if you will.

D.

I like the animated coin idea, but they should NOT bet set to loop.

Why do people have to announce that they aren't donating? It is really not something that is relevant or anything. If you're not donating, keep it to yourself, that's fine. Same with the people who say "I donated!"

Its not about looking for praise or giving a detailed description about why you did or did not donate, its about the donations themselves.
I think it's very important that OpenPandora know why people wont donate after all this time. How else are they supposed to make the best choices for the project if they don't get to see both sides of an argument?

Isn't this similar to the idea of having a badge if you donate? That inherently proclaims "I donated!" It also creates the idea of having two "groups" of users - those who donated and those who did not donate. It doesn't matter to me (I could really care less), but I don't think this idea has been thought through very thoroughly. It's obviously going to create some sort of separation, large or insignificantly small. That is not being pessimistic - it is being realistic.

After waiting all this time and having absolutely nothing to show for it I can't bring myself to give you any money at all. not without losing my self respect any way. I might buy a T-shirt if I like the look of it and think it's worth it but that's as far as I'd go.

I will donate directly to developers and the gp32x.de forum when/if I finally get my Pandora but I won't pay a penny towards this forum or any other sites to do with OpenPandora as a business. At the end of the day these are company web sites and paying to use a companies web site or forum donating to help run a companies web site or forum just seems wrong to me for whatever the reason. Especially when it was Craig that wanted to split from gp32x.de and set up this forum in the first place.

I see this as a bit of a p*ss take in all honesty after the other ways that they've gotten money out of their supporters over the years :angry:

ED mentioned a couple pages ago that the two forums are on the same server.

Right now on the board there is a post count, your group, weather you are a moderator or not. Doesn't that create separation? If everyone looked the same with non of this, just a name and picture, There would be no separation. But the point is there is very little separation with that, and the little separation is productive and informational.

Icons just make it more fun and colorful. On pretty much every forum I've used, there's tags for donators and stuff. Having a tag is a kinda like a reward from the creators of the board. Its their way of giving you acknowledgment for doing something good, like how on this site you can put a custom text tag once you have a certain amount of posts.

Or if we wanted to be gits and write something silly.

Not that we would. ;)

I dont have a problem with this.Donate if you want or dont.Any exclusive info will just end up on pandora press and plastered all over the forums anyhow.Nobody will miss out.I just finished college and when i get a job soon i intend to put a huge bounty for someone to get amiga 500 and 1200 emulation nigh on perfect on the pandora.

Right now on the board there is a post count, your group, weather you are a moderator or not. Doesn't that create separation? If everyone looked the same with non of this, just a name and picture, There would be no separation. But the point is there is very little separation with that, and the little separation is productive and informational.

Icons just make it more fun and colorful. On pretty much every forum I've used, there's tags for donators and stuff. Having a tag is a kinda like a reward from the creators of the board. Its their way of giving you acknowledgment for doing something good, like how on this site you can put a custom text tag once you have a certain amount of posts.
I'm really just trying to voice some thoughts on the subject a bit. A devil's advocate is good to have when there is some possible groupthink taking place here.

I understand your view of the subject changes being insignificant to the community, but I believe valid arguments have been made on the other side of the discussion. I don't believe that having a badge for the donation, in the current state that it is in, is the ideal immediate route to take.

I understand completely. That is your opinion and I respect that, and I also have mine. I'm just giving my 2 cents.

I probably wont make much since but here goes. I think the best that should have been doen at the beginning and can still be done is just to simply start over and ask for donations to help with any kind of expenses with the pandora project. Some will donate and some wont, but that is the with most places. Money shouldnt be spent on things right now like key rings and such. Jus tlay it out that the team needs money if it can be donated to handle upsoming expenses, such as any possible litigation in case it comes to that in dealing with the CC bunch. So many chariesties now adays, and the open pandora isnt a charity , is trying to do the same hting in order to acquire funds. Caues have chosen to offer all kind sod incentives to get people to donate. But there is the problem, the money they have already taken in needs to be put towards its intended prupose and that is to help what ever cause it supports. Wasting money on offering shirts, coffee mugs and other things is counter preductive. / When they take in money, is crazy to turn around and use to buy caps to offer as incentives. I have read that a light of people will donate to whatever cause it may be, but will let the charity know to keep whatever promos it offers, in order to help save them money. Here, taking precious money away from the project to make up key chains and such is counter preductive. People have trusted the open pandora for several years now with their money in the hopes that one day they will get their pandora, and in time they will,. Let's get back to trusting the people and they will donate if they bekive in something, but offering incentives to donate is baed when money is so tight , that it needs to stay within the project.

There is no Russia in counrties list :(

Does it mean no shiny little pandora for me?

Right, thanks for letting me know that, I had no idea.

I'm glad, and yet surprised, you know our business better than we do.
Well the facts I stated about ED are all from his posts on this forum. Getting facts about your business is just impossibly, because you won't say anything about it. And if you said anything pandora related in the past (I do understand that currently there is not much going around on your side because of the lack of boards) in most cases it turned out to be rubbish. So what do I want from you ?

Just make me look like an idiot (which should not be too hard, i guess) and get some more transparency into this matter.

As long as that is not the case, my statement that "this donations wont help the project at all" is simply not disproved.

I just made a couple of icons. I'm not that great of an artist but I did my best. ^_^

I made a coin, because people suggested it and I thought it was a good idea.

I also made a heart because I (and many will probably agree) love the Pandora!

SHxKl.png
DlNKU.png
Like it :) Simple, clear and beautiful (and far better then animated ones for me) =)

Back