A successor already? Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not dynamic. The way Tactus works is to set a configuration when the screen is built. Then you can get it to pop out when you want it to. It can not, however, dynamically change where those physical buttons are after the product is in the consumers' hands.
-God Ginrai
The keys are also quite visible when recessed.

I know the OP was thinking of a separate area just for keys and no screen at all but if  they're not configurable there's no point. This would also be absolutely terrible as a dpad substitute.

My first computer experiences were with MS-DOS.  I remember back in the mid 90s being quite against the idea of MS leaving MS-DOS behind...   I considered win 3.11 to be large and bloated, and couldn't comprehend why anyone would want that kind of overhead running constantly in the background rather than devoting all available resources to the running program.  While windows had its uses,  it was far from the be all and end all of my personal computer experience, and I had no problem shutting it down when it would get in the way of doing what I wanted to do.

- Neelix

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow this thread is weird. Too much to reply to. I'll just say that the secret of Apple software design is to sacrifice functionality to get better/more intuitive usability. The iPad is a good example: it's easy to use even for toddlers and demented elderly people, but it's not a Turing complete general-purpose computer anymore (the hardware is, but the software won't let you use it). It's like designing a steering wheel for a car that, like a train, can only follow a fixed track. Of course you can make it easy and fun to use. You can even put a toddler at the wheel. But if you ask me, it's no longer a real car, but just an amusement park ride.

Mouhaha, so now it's not just Jobs-Jesus Christ, but it's also Leonardo deJobs :) This is getting better and better. The original iPod was some awful kind of looking shit by the way: it was ugly, big, heavy, and certainly not "infused with art".
Someone else came up with the design the iPod is based on. Apple just used it. Later that guy went to court, won and Apple had to pay him. Its funny because the iPod saved Apple from insolvency xD

I think its natural that people build upon achivements of others. Everything we achive, innovations, inventions, improvements are only possible because of all the generations before us achiving and sharing konwledge. Nowdays you can put a sticker on everything claiming its yours and sue people. 

Anyway I just wanted to say I hate Apple because of their asshole attitude. I ain't a freakin potato!

I'm a big fan of simplicity. Maybe it's because I just got finished reading the Steve Jobs biography by Walter Isaacson, and Jobs's philosophy of simplicity resonated so much with me.
Reminds me of the Bauhaus style - form follows function. Its not a Steve Jobs invention,... or is it? xD

This thread is hilarious. My reaction to the news was essentially "A successor at last? Finally!"

I've lurked here on and off for quite a while as I'm very interested in the Pandora as a concept but could never really justify buying one. However, I am seriously considering getting a Pyra if it does actually go into production.

As for touch screen vs physical keyboard, the time and effort it took to accurately type this post on my phone is justification enough for the latter. Oh iCP2 where art thou? :(

Nowdays you can put a sticker on everything claiming its yours and sue people. 
Yeah, like Apple attacking Google for Android by claiming it had copied it! Yeah right, as if having Icons on a screen was something fundamentally new!

The saddest part of Apple is not the arrogant, crook-like Steve Jobs, it's the veneration he generates among Apple fans. No matter what he did or said, it's ok "because, you know, it's Steve Jobs". 

Are you literally trying to pass that off as a computer? The computer wasn't the computer until the GUI, mouse, and other innovations were introduced and made it what it is today.
Ok, so I know this horse is dead, but still:

No. Nonono. No.

No.

I'm a big fan of simplicity. Maybe it's because I just got finished reading the Steve Jobs biography by Walter Isaacson, and Jobs's philosophy of simplicity resonated so much with me.
Wow, there seem to be lots of the usual lies from Apple in this book, but it's an essential part of their successful PR, so no surprise.

Wow, there seem to be lots of the usual lies from Apple in this book, but it's an essential part of their successful PR, so no surprise.
I have the book in my bookshelf. Got it as a birthday present from my wifes' brother. Haven't read it, though.

Still, that is not really lies, more like a creative reinterpretation of reality :) Steve Jobs does go on a fairly consistent "philosophy of simplicity", only it is particularly focused on simplifying-by-limiting, and simple-in-visuals. And if you redefine "Simple" to mean "You can only do simple things with it", then it is true, just as if you redefine "Personal Computer" to mean "Mac", then indeed the Mac is the first personal computer.

Still, that is not really lies, more like a creative reinterpretation of reality :) Steve Jobs does go on a fairly consistent "philosophy of simplicity", only it is particularly focused on simplifying-by-limiting, and simple-in-visuals. And if you redefine "Simple" to mean "You can only do simple things with it", then it is true, just as if you redefine "Personal Computer" to mean "Mac", then indeed the Mac is the first personal computer.
Redefining "Personal Computer" to mean "Mac" strikes me as an odd concept given that Apple defined "PC" to mean a Windows box in all their advertising. :)

mac_pc.png

- Neelix

I have the book in my bookshelf. Got it as a birthday present from my wifes' brother. Haven't read it, though.

Its as much a creative version of history as when people say the holocaust never happened.

Its as much a creative version of history as when people say the holocaust never happened.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwins_law

Not to bash on you, op. Your view feels a bit strange. 

Apple's pushing out a new model of iphone, ipod, ipad every few seconds, there has only been one pandora. 

Not only that, but an updated pandora is much much needed, when Apple's overpriced bricks aren't. If you have an iphone 3gs, I don't see any reason to pay for an iphone 5s; iphone's only a toy whereas Pandoras are much more useful in so many situations. 

Even if pyra's coming out tomorrow, I would still buy it. 

Demand for OpenPandoras is always a bit higher than the current availability.

Important parts are out of production and therefore production of the current model is forced to stop very soon anyway while the demand is still there.

Logical solution: Designing a successor. It's as easy as that.

Apple throws extremely overpriced (WAY over production costs because of their Chinese slave workshops and the high quantity) successors of their toys on the market as often as they can while promoting the next artificial "need" for it with their PR just to earn lots of money and now an Apple fan-boy thinks, that it is silly to make a successor?

1357-ha.png

I think everything what is important has been said in this thread. Lets talk again about reicast, drastic, ppsspp, mupen64 and the dsp :) .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back