All Refunds Not Sent Yet

Chip said:
Daryoon said:
Are ALL US CC orders being refunded?
No, not all. You may be fine.Chip, do you know if OpenPandora have processed them all at their end yet? It would be nice for that element of it to get closure.

Last edited by a moderator:
An estimated guess on when the CC re-re-reorder page will be up would be great :)

My refund is there now. It may have appeared a few days ago or more, I haven't checked in a while to be honest, and was traveling a bit the past couple of weeks.

Only$326 though, and IIRC my original order cost close to $400 (Pandora + TV Cable + Dev Donation).

I really haven't been keeping up with all this stuff, so if anyone can explain what happened again there I'd appreciate it. Exchange rates etc. I suppose...? I sent a reorder email, so I'm hoping things will be even after that.

Prophet said:
I really haven't been keeping up with all this stuff, so if anyone can explain what happened again there I'd appreciate it. Exchange rates etc. I suppose...? I sent a reorder email, so I'm hoping things will be even after that.
Yes. Your $400 was converted into GBP when you ordered. Since the GBP vs USD rate has changed so much in the last couple months, when it was converted back into USD it is now considerably less. As long as you are reording, it won't make any differnce for you, since you will only have to pay the exact amount you were refunded. The currency conversion works both ways, so when the new, smaller amount of USD gets converted back, it will be the same amount in GBP as before.

Chip said:
Prophet said:
Yes. Your $400 was converted into GBP when you ordered. Since the GBP vs USD rate has changed so much in the last couple months, when it was converted back into USD it is now considerably less. As long as you are reording, it won't make any differnce for you, since you will only have to pay the exact amount you were refunded. The currency conversion works both ways, so when the new, smaller amount of USD gets converted back, it will be the same amount in GBP as before.
Honestly the way this is working out is very shady. If a larger corporation tried half the stuff Craig and Co is doing they'd have a class action lawsuit pending. I'm not saying I think they are shady people, but they are operating within our "good faith" which is a VERY gray legal area.

Still as long as I can reorder without adding any more money (EVEN if the exchange rate changes), I'll be happy.

What you're saying is not true at all. Craig and co have been doing perfectly legal things and you paid your Pandora in GBP, and that was the currency displayed in the checkout page. If you didn't agree with paying in GDP you should've cancelled your order when the confirmation page showed.

I think the issue is the fact that we paid, but received no product nor guarantee of an equal refund. If we were dealing with a "larger corporation" we wouldn't have to take a loss if we decided we didn't want it after all.

But, if we were working with a "larger corporation" we wouldn't see a product like this for ten years after it became possible.
I mean, this thing is twice as powerful as similar big name handhelds in a similar price range. (cf. iPod Touch)

Well... If you want to go into it...

Craig and Co issued a forced refund. I didn't ask for that. If I had asked for the refund it would have been marginally reasonable to do the currency exchange.

They did this because they wanted to move money around. I'm guessing the money was in some sort of escrow account which is why the bank didn't want to mess with it (and legally they shouldn't).

Since they forced the refund they should have at least had the credit card reorder page up when the refund was issued, this would have allowed me to reorder for the same amount of money. Since they didn't and they still don't I'm pretty darn sure they are legally liable for any negative changes in the price between when the refund was issued and when it can be reordered.

Now after saying all that I still trust Craig and Co. However if I was invested in their company I'd be raising hell right now.

MagicPants said:
If I had asked for the refund it would have been marginally reasonable to do the currency exchange.
Transaction transpired in GBP. The only currency exchange was done by your bank/CC issuer.

salasq said:
MagicPants said:
If I had asked for the refund it would have been marginally reasonable to do the currency exchange.
Transaction transpired in GBP. The only currency exchange was done by your bank/CC issuer.

The point was though, that it was initiated on their end, not at the customer's request - had anyone asked for a refund they would have had no cause for complaint.

I was going to add this to the AMEX thread, but figured it would get more exposure here.

I am U.S. based and payed with an American Express card. I got my refund email on 11/26, but haven't yet received my credit. I figured that almost 4 weeks was a little long to wait, so I responded to my initial refund notification and asked about my status. I got a reply from Jacquelyn stating:

"I have just been in informed by HSBC that they are unable to refund American Express transactions and the only way to receive the refund is for you to initiate a chargeback.

I am so sorry about this. They only informed me within the last ten minutes when I contacted them again, I have contacted them numerous times over the last month with regard to refunds not received. Over the last week the majority seemed to be only American Express refunds and I insisted on receiving a reason for this."

I replied and told her that I knew there were some financial penalties for the team associated with chargebacks, and I asked if there was any way to keep the original order. Haven't heard anything yet.

My desire is not to do a chargeback, so I'm on hold for now....

Daberk said:
I got a reply from Jacquelyn stating:

"I have just been in informed by HSBC that they are unable to refund American Express transactions and the only way to receive the refund is for you to initiate a chargeback.
In that case, if HSBC is refusing to give a refund, can't they just give the received money to Craig and Co. and be done with it? Then all the Amex users won't have to worry about reordering?

Found out this morning that I got a refund, which was surprising considering I didnt get an email haha <_<
What was even more surprising was that I got refunded the exact amount I paid for it :p
I guess Ill be reordering then :)

zilt said:
Daberk said:

In that case, if HSBC is refusing to give a refund, can't they just give the received money to Craig and Co. and be done with it? Then all the Amex users won't have to worry about reordering?

That's what I am trying to wrap my head around. Also, isn't there a time limit to issue a chargeback? and didn't that window go by like..last month? Chargebacks are only allowed within 60 days of the transaction.

http://www.ncosc.net/SECP/Exhibit2-AmexInq...2005univers.pdf

Can someone answer what will happen with Amex members please.

I've heard back from Jacquelyn at Pandora sales. They are saying that reorders will be at the same price as the refund.

I trust this and don't think anyone there is trying to rip me off in any way. I will say the preorder process could have been a lot smoother, and I get the feeling Craig and Co are in a bit over their heads. So yeah we could raise a big stink about it, and yeah there might be a legal basis for doing so BUT... that would just be a very effective way to make sure the Pandora never comes out and I don't think anyone wants to do that.

Phawx said:
zilt said:
Daberk said:

In that case, if HSBC is refusing to give a refund, can't they just give the received money to Craig and Co. and be done with it? Then all the Amex users won't have to worry about reordering?That's what I am trying to wrap my head around. Also, isn't there a time limit to issue a chargeback? and didn't that window go by like..last month? Chargebacks are only allowed within 60 days of the transaction.

http://www.ncosc.net/SECP/Exhibit2-AmexInq...2005univers.pdf

Can someone answer what will happen with Amex members please.
Chip has mentioned that they are still trying to resolve the AmEx on his mini update.

I have to say it is very bizarre - so a bank is saying "we can't accept your payment and we can't refund it either and now you can't chargeback because we took too long to tell you."

Really, the only thing that would make sense at this point would be for them to accept the payments and give us the money. Unfortunately that would require an admission on their part that they screwed up in the first place, and that is probably not going to happen.

Do you wait with shipping the pandoras untill all these Bank-Crap is solved or do we get the Pandora as soon as possible? I'm asking because many people are not involved into this payment problems, especialy people who have preordered over ED's shop.

Back