Benefits Of Pandora Over Psp?

samuhill

Still Fresh
I just came across this site today, and I've been looking around in excitement at this cool new gadget to add to my collection. However, I really don't understand why I should plop down $300 for this system when I already have a PSP. As long as the PSP is homebrew-enabled, they seem like pretty similar systems. I hope I don't sound biased here; I really would like to purchase Pandora, I just want to know why it's a good investment.

The best bet to find out the benefits would be to take a look at the information that's out there about the system (indeed, I would say that this is the first thing anyone should do when even remotely considering a large spend :p ), and compare it to what it is you've already got (in this case, your PSP).

I won't point out the obvious things - you can tell some useful elements simply by looking at the system. ;) Take a look at The Pandora Information Index, and the official website, and also bear in mind that you are free to do as you wish with the system, instead of having to wrestle with it to get it to let you run what you want. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
_S_ said:
I just came across this site today, and I've been looking around in excitement at this cool new gadget to add to my collection. However, I really don't understand why I should plop down $300 for this system when I already have a PSP. As long as the PSP is homebrew-enabled, they seem like pretty similar systems. I hope I don't sound biased here; I really would like to purchase Pandora, I just want to know why it's a good investment.

I am one of the people who created the Pandora, and you're already speaking directly to me.

That's just one of many advantages you have here. The Pandora is just a totally different set of ideas to the PSP, with many advantages, which I'm sure people will tell you about.

Welcome! I'll try to add something to this as it could turn into a @$%#storm soon. Firstly, you should look up what the gp2x was. Once you have a good grasp of that, you'll understand the community and what it's trying to accomplish. After that, try understanding that this is not only a community that's trying to squeeze the most out of their devices, but more so a community fed up with what's available and willing to support a device that will allow them to bring their homebrew/emulation/portable desktop computing with them in a comfortable environment. It's got a full qwerty keyboard and analog and digital controls making it a full computing environment for apps and games that require a keyboard and it's also small enough to fit in your pocket. If you're only after homebrew that doesn't require a keyboard, then maybe this isn't the device for you. This is something for those that want to choose their own path in portable computing. If you want to play an old text adventure, so be it..if you want to play sonic and knuckles paired with sonic 2 for genesis on the go and be able to pause your state, so be it...If you want to check your email while listening to some Blakroc, so be it. This is a device for the people who want to do what they want to do.

better screen resolution
bigger screen
bigger and better battery life
qwerty keyboard
dual nubs
clamshell design
open source/hackable (software) although everything hardware related will be documented. (this is to prevent clones)
OP even encourage hacks like a future keypad backlight, second shoulder buttons etc.
faster processor and gpu
top quality components throughout (excellent sound quality chips etc.)
you'll be cooler with one

Wow, thanks guys. As I've been looking through the community, I've found some very great, supportive people. I may just spring for the second production of Pandoras, since from what I hear the first is kinda full. Thanks again for your help :)

_S_ said:
As I've been looking through the community, I've found some very great, supportive people.
What what? Are you sure you're looking at the right forum? :blink:
I kid, I kid :)
Anywho, second batch is probably a good fit for you. If you're simply comparing it to a homebrew enabled PSP, I'm guessing you're looking for software. Much of the first batch will no doubt be used to build up the software collection, but by the time second batch comes out, I have no doubt that the quantity and quality will have surpassed the PSPs homebrew scene (speaking as someone who has also hacked their PSP)

WhiteBat said:
better screen resolution
bigger screen
bigger and better battery life
qwerty keyboard
dual nubs
clamshell design
open source/hackable (software) although everything hardware related will be documented. (this is to prevent clones)
OP even encourage hacks like a future keypad backlight, second shoulder buttons etc.
faster processor and gpu
top quality components throughout (excellent sound quality chips etc.)
you'll be cooler with one
You forgot about the touchscreen. PSPs don't have that. ;-)

Xian Long said:
and i was going to spew flames

fire%20kirby.JPG

im sorry, but i recall the size of the psp display to be the same

am i that wrong?

DroneB Dev said:

am i that wrong?
They're pretty close to the same physical size, but the Pandora has a much denser pixel count, almost twice as dense. That makes for some really sharp images, yo.

Actually i was thinking the same thing, i got a dsi and psp, but then i thought the pandora seem so cool.So i add it to my Christmas list, This thread help me a lot. thx
Hope i get it. ... Also i can not seem to find how much tv out cable cost. Would the psp one work for pandora?

DroneB Dev said:

am i that wrong?

http://www.kennyham.com/images/archos605-size.jpg

Vamp said:
Also i can not seem to find how much tv out cable cost. Would the psp one work for pandora?

errr, no, definately not. But the power supply will ;)

Edit: And i looked at my original order, at the time i paid 9,99 British Pounds for the TV/Audio out cable. Not sure if that price is still valid since currencies changed and the specs have upgraded in the meantime

Vamp said:
Hope i get it. ... Also i can not seem to find how much tv out cable cost. Would the psp one work for pandora?
The Pandora's TV out port isn't really a TV out port, per se. It's an external connector port. It has TV out on it, true (in both s-video and composite formats), but it also has line out, line in (no TV in, however), some serial ports and i2c lines I think... bunch of other stuff... basically it's got a lot of pins that will allow people to connect more than just the video cable to it eventually to do all kinds of (hopefully) fun and awesome things.
Anywho, because the port is capable of all these different inputs and outputs, a standard video cable won't work, you need the one specific for the Pandora unfortunately. We've been told it's a pretty high quality cable though: 10 feet long, gold plated connectors, definitely worth the $20 or so for it.

The Pandora should be able to emulate a PSP (it's a WIP) so you'll be able to use PSP homebrew on it.
Don't forget, we're open, and a community (sorta like a dysfunctional family ATM but family nonetheless).

WizardStan said:
Vamp said:
The Pandora's TV out port isn't really a TV out port, per se. It's an external connector port. It has TV out on it, true (in both s-video and composite formats), but it also has line out, line in (no TV in, however), some serial ports and i2c lines I think... bunch of other stuff... basically it's got a lot of pins that will allow people to connect more than just the video cable to it eventually to do all kinds of (hopefully) fun and awesome things.
Anywho, because the port is capable of all these different inputs and outputs, a standard video cable won't work, you need the one specific for the Pandora unfortunately. We've been told it's a pretty high quality cable though: 10 feet long, gold plated connectors, definitely worth the $20 or so for it.

I think this is allmost correct, but i recall reading somewhere that the i2c lines that were originally planned to be on the port, were used for the new analogue nubs. But i doubt that more than 2% of the users would have used them anyway

Jourdy288 said:
The Pandora should be able to emulate a PSP (it's a WIP) so you'll be able to use PSP homebrew on it.
While technically true, it's probably not a good idea to use this as a selling point yet. It might be a very long time before that software is released.

Back