Benefits Of Pandora Over Psp?

Gruso said:
Jourdy288 said:
The Pandora should be able to emulate a PSP (it's a WIP) so you'll be able to use PSP homebrew on it.
While technically true, it's probably not a good idea to use this as a selling point yet. It might be a very long time before that software is released.
+1

Last edited by a moderator:
Jourdy288 said:
The Pandora should be able to emulate a PSP (it's a WIP) so you'll be able to use PSP homebrew on it.
Don't forget, we're open, and a community (sorta like a dysfunctional family ATM but family nonetheless).
jourdy :(

WizardStan said:
DroneB Dev said:
im sorry, but i recall the size of the psp display to be the same

am i that wrong?
They're pretty close to the same physical size, but the Pandora has a much denser pixel count, almost twice as dense. That makes for some really sharp images, yo.

This... the PSP's screen is only 4xx by 27x (can't remember exact numbers, been years since I worked with it). Pandora is 800x480, almost twice the pixel count.

Vamp said:
Actually i was thinking the same thing, i got a dsi and psp, but then i thought the pandora seem so cool.So i add it to my Christmas list, This thread help me a lot. thx
Hope i get it. ... Also i can not seem to find how much tv out cable cost. Would the psp one work for pandora?
The DS is quite... lame. I'm sure there are some games, but the console itself is so incredibly underpowered, which makes homebrew a pain to develop and use.

MarkoeZ said:
WizardStan said:
Vamp said:
Hope i get it. ... Also i can not seem to find how much tv out cable cost. Would the psp one work for pandora?
The Pandora's TV out port isn't really a TV out port, per se. It's an external connector port. It has TV out on it, true (in both s-video and composite formats), but it also has line out, line in (no TV in, however), some serial ports and i2c lines I think... bunch of other stuff... basically it's got a lot of pins that will allow people to connect more than just the video cable to it eventually to do all kinds of (hopefully) fun and awesome things.
Anywho, because the port is capable of all these different inputs and outputs, a standard video cable won't work, you need the one specific for the Pandora unfortunately. We've been told it's a pretty high quality cable though: 10 feet long, gold plated connectors, definitely worth the $20 or so for it.

I think this is allmost correct, but i recall reading somewhere that the i2c lines that were originally planned to be on the port, were used for the new analogue nubs. But i doubt that more than 2% of the users would have used them anyway

That's actually quite disappointing :(. But, not *too* big of a deal.

Gruso said:
Jourdy288 said:
While technically true, it's probably not a good idea to use this as a selling point yet. It might be a very long time before that software is released.

At the moment, the author of the PSP emulator broke his beagleboard (for no apparent reason, seems like a crappy device to me :), so who knows when it will be out.

Gary13579 said:
Gruso said:
Jourdy288 said:

At the moment, the author of the PSP emulator broke his beagleboard (for no apparent reason, seems like a crappy device to me :), so who knows when it will be out.

The way I understood it, it's a problem with his SDK and libraries now that he upgraded to a new version of Angstrom. However, I could be wrong.

-God Ginrai

The biggest advantage of the Pandora is that it will have fullspeed Amiga-emulation and ~fullspeed N64-emulation.

Also SNES-emulation will be better on Pandora than on PSP (even some non-SuperFX-titles like Mega Man 7 or Super Turrican don't run fullspeed on PSP).

Brandon72196 said:
Xian Long said:
and i was going to spew flames

fire%20kirby.JPG

kaendaaco.jpg

God Ginrai said:
Gary13579 said:
Gruso said:
Jourdy288 said:

The way I understood it, it's a problem with his SDK and libraries now that he upgraded to a new version of Angstrom. However, I could be wrong.

-God Ginrai

No, the USB port is fried. It *could* be a software issue I guess, but the USB port on it refuses to work. Which means no networking, which means no development (everything on the BB is almost dependent on the USB port).

Gary13579 said:
God Ginrai said:
Gary13579 said:
Gruso said:
Jourdy288 said:

-God Ginrai

No, the USB port is fried. It *could* be a software issue I guess, but the USB port on it refuses to work. Which means no networking, which means no development (everything on the BB is almost dependent on the USB port).

I think you're thinking of the developer of the N64 emulator, Ari64:

Ari64 said:
I sent my beagleboard in for repair, since the USB kept failing. They replaced one of the capacitors, and I just got it back. I noticed that some new SGX packages were added to angstrom recently, and I was going to try those, but maybe I should hold off updating my angstrom for now. What version of libstdc++ is broken? I have 4.3.3-r5.1.3 installed.

This is the only problem I know of that JayFoxRox currently has:

JayFoxRox said:
Thats possibly the worst excuse ever..

But its not that bad anyway. It just sucks to see this topic ruined.

I was going to record some zelda gameplay but my current angstrom (everything which follows happens on the beagleboard) didn't have a new enough libstdc++, I tried upgrading the kernel and found out that the old SGX modules don't work with it anymore so I wanted to bitbake a new one and that doesn't accept the old SGX SDK neither. Now I'm left alone with a non-working libstdc++ which gives tons of errors while booting and once I'm logged in my SGX modules strike with no way to run this emulator at all (or Pandora-PSP, my other projct for that matter).
I requested my new SDK from TI now but last time it took weeks for them to accept my process even tho I was told it only takes a few hours. - So no more updates by me for now (Pandora-PSP could only work on beagleboard at the moment as the recompiler has priority and mupen64lpus doesn't work at all because of libstdc++ issues and the failing SGX modules) :(

-God Ginrai

SONY said:
_S_ said:
Benefits Of Pandora Over Psp?
I could list a billion things (but I won't) that Pandora has over the pathetic PSP.

And this is coming from SONY! So you know it HAS to be true! :lol:

EDIT:

Confirmed: SONY states Pandora is the superior console, and deems the PSP "pathetic".

God Ginrai said:
Gary13579 said:
God Ginrai said:
Gary13579 said:
Gruso said:
Jourdy288 said:

-God Ginrai

-God Ginrai

You just don't give up, do you ;)

gary@snuggles:~$ cat .xchat2/xchatlogs/FreeNode-#openpandora.log | grep JayFoxRox | grep -i usb | grep broke
Nov 15 06:14:55 <JayFoxRox> the only working mini usb to usb host cable I had broke
Nov 16 11:28:37 <JayFoxRox> I gave up looking for the mini usb to host cable which work with BB a long time ago and broke a few cables while building my own
Nov 16 11:49:08 <JayFoxRox> yeh looks like the usb port is broken completly now
Nov 16 13:54:12 <JayFoxRox> I'm really sure now that the usb port is completly broken

shame about the psp emulator, but not to big a deal, if u wanted to buy psp games u can just buy a psp, u can get em pretty cheap now.

would be awsome if one day it could be emulated at fullspeed tho

Just solder pins 1&2 together of the mini-USB on the Beagleboard, then you can use whatever USB cables you like without stress .. I did it to my Beagleboard, and it has a hub plugged in now and functions just like a great, normal little PC ..

My understanding is that JayFoxRox BeagleBoard USB stopped working, he got it replaced, then tried to upgrade the software (bitbake newer version etc) which he couldn't get working fully.

All from memory and could be wrong. So you both could be right :D

Gary13579 said:
God Ginrai said:
Gary13579 said:
God Ginrai said:
Gary13579 said:
Gruso said:
Jourdy288 said:

-God Ginrai

-God Ginrai

You just don't give up, do you ;)

gary@snuggles:~$ cat .xchat2/xchatlogs/FreeNode-#openpandora.log | grep JayFoxRox | grep -i usb | grep broke
Nov 15 06:14:55 <JayFoxRox> the only working mini usb to usb host cable I had broke
Nov 16 11:28:37 <JayFoxRox> I gave up looking for the mini usb to host cable which work with BB a long time ago and broke a few cables while building my own
Nov 16 11:49:08 <JayFoxRox> yeh looks like the usb port is broken completly now
Nov 16 13:54:12 <JayFoxRox> I'm really sure now that the usb port is completly broken

Wow, it looks like you win. ;) It's a shame that happened to him.

stephen0205 said:
shame about the psp emulator, but not to big a deal, if u wanted to buy psp games u can just buy a psp, u can get em pretty cheap now.

I should think it would be a big deal to JayFoxRox, seeing as how he can't develop and test his emulator. You really have to think of all perspectives when you say something like that. Also, there are reasons people may want to have the PSP emulator for the Pandora rather than carrying a PSP around.

Na-Noo said:
My understanding is that JayFoxRox BeagleBoard USB stopped working, he got it replaced, then tried to upgrade the software (bitbake newer version etc) which he couldn't get working fully.

All from memory and could be wrong. So you both could be right :D

Nah, look at the dates on what Gary and I quoted. His is more recent, meaning the USB broke after the update.

-God Ginrai

Back