Benefits Of Pandora Over Psp?

lulzfish said:
CC_machine said:
jaycee900 said:
Pro's and cons for each....main one for the time being which rule all other points invalid....Pandora still isn't out...

They should've kept the thumbs up/thumbs down system on the forum.

+1
If it would stop these pointless "+1" posts.
+1 :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Exophase said:
Personally, I think he's a little crazy for targeting OMAP35xx directly instead of working on it for PC first. There's so much to do that's platform agnostic before you should really work on before you can focus on the platform specific stuff. This is especially true for PSP emulation which involves HLEing an entire operating system and several libraries.

Jourdy288 said:
But I'll tell you one thing: PSP emulation is most certainly possible on the Pandora, it's just a matter of time. Thanks for the heads up, I won't use that as a starting point.

Where's the proof? Or even substantial evidence beyond trusting the word of others. In these cases it's best to remain skeptical instead of saying something is definitely possible. That is, unless your definition of possible doesn't require full speed for anything. Sometimes there are totally unexpected overheads and bottlenecks in emulators that make everything come crashing down.
As one of main coders of JPCSP and now of PCSP, I can only agree with Exophase's opinion. I don't think a psp emulator can be done by only one coder in a reasonable time. And I cannot even confirm a fullspeed is doable right now. I can easily reach several hundreds FPS in-game - intros and homebrew demos tend to be several thousands FPS - on a PC through my statical recompiler (not optimal though as it needs to be compatible with the interpreter). So using this psp emulation as a selling point for Pandora should be absolutely avoided.

Edit: by the way, by PSP emulation, I mean emulating commercial games. It is very easy to emulate homebrews as they are less demanding in resources. I must confess I don't care about PSP homebrews as they are very poorly done, so i wouldn't even try to emulate all of them except for some sdk demos regarding GE or IO.

borgqueenx said:
The pandora laughs in the face of the psp. Its not worthy to make comparisions.
Unicorns laugh in the face of horses. Its not worthy to make comparisons.

PoisonedV said:
borgqueenx said:
The pandora laughs in the face of the psp. Its not worthy to make comparisions.
Unicorns laugh in the face of horses. Its not worthy to make comparisons.
i hear unicorns are highly impractical unless you're a virgin. but then so can be sony's 'horses can be ridden only on main st., and not on fridays' clause.

God Ginrai said:
Gary13579 said:
No, the USB port is fried. It *could* be a software issue I guess, but the USB port on it refuses to work. Which means no networking, which means no development (everything on the BB is almost dependent on the USB port).

I think you're thinking of the developer of the N64 emulator, Ari64:

Ari64 said:
I sent my beagleboard in for repair, since the USB kept failing. They replaced one of the capacitors, and I just got it back. I noticed that some new SGX packages were added to angstrom recently, and I was going to try those, but maybe I should hold off updating my angstrom for now. What version of libstdc++ is broken? I have 4.3.3-r5.1.3 installed.
Two different USB problems. I have a rev C which has an unstable power supply to the USB host port. It works most of the time, but sometimes it will crash when transferring data over the USB. Replacing the capacitor did not completely fix the problem.

JayFoxRox has an older beagleboard and his USB port broke, probably due to a bad solder joint.

Anyway, there are no new beagleboards available right now. They had to do a new PCB layout to fix the USB power supply issue, and these will not be in production until sometime in December.

Ari64 said:
Two different USB problems. I have a rev C which has an unstable power supply to the USB host port. It works most of the time, but sometimes it will crash when transferring data over the USB. Replacing the capacitor did not completely fix the problem.
I just sent mine in for RMA. I have no problems soldering my own projects; if I mess up I've usually got a few spare whatevers lying around. I'm a little less confident when putting a soldering iron next to the only $150 whatever I happen to have :p
I remember when I first reported the problem and was told it was a software issue, and upgrading the kernel should fix it. Then it was a known hardware issue with a software workaround. I've been dealing with this since April: you have no idea how many hacks I've written into my kernel and software to make it work with minimal downtime. Still, going down 5 minutes every 3 or 4 days is too often for what I wanted it for, especially when the odds of it going down increased when I was actually using it.
Fortunately, MWeston has assured me that the Pandora will not have this problem. Hopefully there aren't other unforeseen hardware issues. I'm kind of miffed that the BB guys aren't more... apologetic?.. about the problem. But the beagle board is, by design, a hobbyist device: it's not entirely unexpected for something to be wrong with it. I'm kind of afraid of what might happen if such a major hardware bug were to sneak into the Pandora; it's a lot more "professional", even in its niche group. Will users be as accepting of "this may fix it, but if not, too bad, buy the next revision which fixes it" or will the stack hit the heap?

WizardStan said:
Ari64 said:
I just sent mine in for RMA. I have no problems soldering my own projects; if I mess up I've usually got a few spare whatevers lying around. I'm a little less confident when putting a soldering iron next to the only $150 whatever I happen to have :p
Have you looked at C97? It's between the TPS65950 and the audio out. It's tiny, and I know I don't have the right equipment to solder something like that.

I sent it back, and they soldered a new capacitor. It now crashes about once or twice a week instead of a few times per day.

WizardStan said:
Ari64 said:
I remember when I first reported the problem and was told it was a software issue, and upgrading the kernel should fix it. Then it was a known hardware issue with a software workaround. I've been dealing with this since April: you have no idea how many hacks I've written into my kernel and software to make it work with minimal downtime. Still, going down 5 minutes every 3 or 4 days is too often for what I wanted it for, especially when the odds of it going down increased when I was actually using it.
Fortunately, MWeston has assured me that the Pandora will not have this problem. Hopefully there aren't other unforeseen hardware issues. I'm kind of miffed that the BB guys aren't more... apologetic?.. about the problem. But the beagle board is, by design, a hobbyist device: it's not entirely unexpected for something to be wrong with it. I'm kind of afraid of what might happen if such a major hardware bug were to sneak into the Pandora; it's a lot more "professional", even in its niche group. Will users be as accepting of "this may fix it, but if not, too bad, buy the next revision which fixes it" or will the stack hit the heap?

I have a feeling that users will not be very accepting. Btw, kudos for the stack and heap comment. ;)

-God Ginrai

Back