Benefits Of Pandora Over Psp?

All very good points Exophase, and I know we're not going to agree on them exactly. But I do see where you're coming from.

Sitwon said:
There are even a lot of 3D games on the DS. If the commercial developers can pull off games of that quality I see no reason (barring the two excuses I pointed out before) why homebrew can't do the same.
The NDS Games (2D AND 3D) looking very good for this (compared) weak hardware (my opinion). I don't think Pandora-Homebrew will reach this level that soon ( I know its unfair to compare Commerial Coding with homebrew but I also know it is not impossible to have great Homebrew-Stuff. :) ).
I don't know anything about NDS Homebrew-Scene but maybe the Devs there don't have all the Hardware Access that Nintendo has to do graphical equal Games like Mario Cart DS or the "Mario64-Game" for NDS?
I mean, if such games are possible with only (4?) MB RAM and a small 60MHz ARM Processor, what would be possible onto the Pandora and her 600MHz SGX OMAP Power? ^_^ I would be already very happy If we could see "simple" 2D games like the "Advance Wars" games for the NDS onto the Pandora. :)
...of course the problem with the lacking of full Pandora-Harware Accesss has to be solved first or we will have mostly "software only" Games until the end of all time. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
fusion_power said:
...of course the problem with the lacking of full Pandora-Harware Accesss has to be solved first or we will have mostly "software only" Games until the end of all time. :(

Not quite sure what you mean here, we do have full access, apart from the SGX could probably do GL2 not just GLES2.
Or you talking about something else or am I missing something?

Na-Noo said:
mali said:
He means the console itself ;)
:lol:

He's gonna get the PDForce set on himself.
Not yet, PDF Central Dispatch is still trying to figure out what he means.
The usual meaning of "hardware" and "software" is "CPU rendering" vs. "GPU rendering".
But possibly he means, "None of you have the hardware yet". But that's not... ??

lulzfish said:
Na-Noo said:
mali said:
He means the console itself ;)
:lol:

He's gonna get the PDForce set on himself.
Not yet, PDF Central Dispatch is still trying to figure out what he means.
The usual meaning of "hardware" and "software" is "CPU rendering" vs. "GPU rendering".
But possibly he means, "None of you have the hardware yet". But that's not... ??
jeahjeah...everything and nothing... ;)
OK, my english is not the best under the bright sun but I meant the full Access to the SGX unit and other OMAP specific Hardware features that make the big difference between Software- and Hardware-rendering, also including Power-Saving features, Auto-Clocking of the Chipset, Hardvare Video Acceleration, Hardware Sound Acceleration... and so on. But I'm not sad if I wrong there, I only read so much about "still software-only-mode" but I know that SW Development usualy starts this way.
I've read alot about the Problems with the effective access to the SGX core (NDA here, NDA there) so that's why I mentioned it. I don't know if it is fast enough to go through a Driver-level (we know from PC graphic cards for example) or accessing every register directly over "hardcore assembler-stuff" (AFAIK this is how gaming Consoles do their stuff, at least the older Consoles),but I'm not sure, I'm not a coder.

All I hope is that the Coders can use the Pandora Hardware like they wish and don't need to always do compromises with slow Software-Rendering etc... :) I mean it would be very sad if we have so much Chipset-Features and nobody can use them. ^_^

Fusion, it seems I've misinterpreted what you were saying. Right now I wonder where you are coming from, as many projects are already using SGX and OpenGL ES.

Maybe your thinking about the binary blob for the SGX, but that still gives you full access to OpenGLES2.
The SGX could possibly support Standard OpenGL2 but that's the only thing not available as far as I'm aware.
As an example the N64 Emu is already using the SGX and is hardware accelerated.
The only real thing that's not out yet/provided is a DSP accelerated codecs to hopefully give us h264 720p decoding.
Otherwise all essentially open and available. AFAIK

Edit: Spelling

Yeah, no, we already have GPU rendering. It's been on the BeagleBoard for a while:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuVwh_VrIxk

OP wouldn't have paid for a GPU that we couldn't use. :p

mali said:
Fusion, it seems I've misinterpreted what you were saying. Right now I wonder where you are coming from, as many projects are already using SGX and OpenGL ES.
Yes, I've seen N64 Emu Videos and Q3 running onto the Pandora. So I think the "problem" isn't that serious at all. Maybe I thought the "DSP" was so important for everything but I think even for this part it will have Access soon.
Na-Noo said:
Maybe your thinking about the binary blob for the SGX, but that still gives you full access to OpenGLES2.
The SGX could possibly support Standard OpenGL2 but that's the only thing not available as far as I'm aware.
As an example the N64 Emu is already using the SGX and is hardware accelerated.
The only real thing that's not out yet/provided is a DSP accelerated codecs to hopefully give us h264 720p decoding.
Otherwise all essentially open and available. AFAIK

Edit: Spelling
There once was an discussion in the other english board about reverse-hacking the Drivers for the Chipset to have better access to the hardware - pretty much technical stuff I've not completely understood. But to me it sounded like the available SGX Drivers are pretty poor and unoptimized so I feared a possible disadvantage for the Pandora-Development.
If everything is OK now, I indeed can relax. :)

fusion_power said:
There once was an discussion in the other english board about reverse-hacking the Drivers for the Chipset to have better access to the hardware - pretty much technical stuff I've not completely understood. But to me it sounded like the available SGX Drivers are pretty poor and unoptimized so I feared a possible disadvantage for the Pandora-Development.
If everything is OK now, I indeed can relax. :)
The desire to reverse engineer the driver stemmed from a (questionable) desire for all software to be completely open source, and also to enhance it with OpenGL2.0 and 3.0 support. The SGX is capable of more than just OpenGLES, if only the driver supported it.

That discussion took place before the binary driver was available IIRC. I wonder if Maciek is still working on reverse engineering. I suppose that he needs a real Pandora now to progress.

Exophase said:
JayFoxRox's Beagleboard problems, while unfortunate for him, seem like a pretty minor issue as far as the development of his PSP emulator is concerned. Real Pandoras are supposed to actually be out soon (knock on wood) and chances are he's not going to be anywhere close to ready to releasing it then, at least not in a way that would satisfy most of you. [...]

<Moved to Pandora-PSP Blog>

jaycee900 said:
Pro's and cons for each....main one for the time being which rule all other points invalid....Pandora still isn't out...

They should've kept the thumbs up/thumbs down system on the forum.

+1

CC_machine said:
jaycee900 said:
Pro's and cons for each....main one for the time being which rule all other points invalid....Pandora still isn't out...

They should've kept the thumbs up/thumbs down system on the forum.

+1
If it would stop these pointless "+1" posts.

The benefits of a Pandora vs a PSP as I see it is that the Pandora can be used to write, code, draw and similar things. You will also find it very easy to blog, post on forums etc with a keyboard. The screen has a much higher resolution so it will be far better for both emulation as well as web browsing and application usage. The Pandora is not just for gaming, I see it as a replacement to my laptop that I can carry around and use wherever I want (likely horizontally in a bed or on a couch).

Back