Craigix Discloses Information On New Gp2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You almost had me, up 'til here:

criagix said:
This time round, GPH is going to take an active role in the life of the GP4Q. They will be answering questions and taking requests
EDIT: I am so dumb, 'criagix', ha!

Last edited by a moderator:
Exophase said:
Doesn't matter if it's fully programmable or not, to be an FPU it has to be a coprocessor directly mounted on the CPU. Anything else would have too much latency to emulate an FPU (it'd be much faster to do it in software)
It is directly mounted on the CPU, but is accessed via registers rather than arm's co-processor standard. This isn't necessarily a bad thing though as, like I said, its completely programmable (as in, you can upload your floating point code to it and run it there, bypassing the main cpu completely).

yodaofborg said:
This thread kinda made me think a lil, we aint even got as far as the gp2x can go yet, that is true, but I do not think competition is a bad thing. I would love for a gp2x competitor to arise, cos right now its a *single market* unit.
Imagine the GBAX with 2 viable handhelds that are made to run open source stuff v NDS + PSP ;)

[edit]

Don't bring up GP32.
Buddy, it's called the PSP. Any "competition" for a homebrew device like this just dilutes the market, which is just nails in the coffin.

Squidge said:
Exophase said:
Doesn't matter if it's fully programmable or not, to be an FPU it has to be a coprocessor directly mounted on the CPU. Anything else would have too much latency to emulate an FPU (it'd be much faster to do it in software)
It is directly mounted on the CPU, but is accessed via registers rather than arm's co-processor standard. This isn't necessarily a bad thing though as, like I said, its completely programmable (as in, you can upload your floating point code to it and run it there, bypassing the main cpu completely).

Not buying it. There is no replacement for instructions. Loading registers (via memory, I'm sure) is never, ever going to be a fast enough solution to emulate an FPU.

Besides that, what'd you say it has, 4 vector FPU registers? Not good enough.

craigix said:
Ahh we might have to post some videos or photos for you all sometime soon :)
Of it blending????
That was fast, but dont you want to at least show what it can do first?

So 4 x AA batteries would not be enough ?, I have a WinCE device with a touch screen and a 300mhz ARM processor that runs on 4 standard AA batteries and easily get 10-12 hours of use runinng at full speed (No underclock) and screen on all the time. I'm sure there is still life in AA batteries, And could give enough power, Especially when using four of them ?, Mmmmm.

[Chant]
We want 4 double A's.
When do we want them.
NOW!.
[/Chant]

Trooper

Although it has been discussed to eternity just my .2c:

NiMH AA can be a way to go.. the 2x AA was a bit weak for the drainage the GP2X has. Better would have been 3x AA for it.

Lithium cells are usually said to have a better capacity to weight property, yet usual packs often do not carry more capacity than the 6,4 Wh one can get out of 2x NiMH (2700mAh) but are a bit slimmer although. Maybe the losses when converting the current level from 1,2v to the 3v needed to operate the main cpu can be attributed as a weak point which is prolly more costy than to degrade a voltage from 3,6v down to 3,0v.

My problem with lithium packs is that they are shaped into non standard sizes and thereforce expensive if not mass produced. For myself i would welcome the possibility to have an accu pack which can be opened and its cells could be replaced on the go. That means that an possible accu pack should utilize some common sort of accu packs available today cheaply. A common type of lithium cell found in abundand available accu pack would be a viable way to go. One could refit a whole accu pack or only parts of it on the go (cell wise) and replacement cells would and should be cheap enough.

[edit]
Additionally i would recommend a sort of peer review of the technical specifications and the plans of a possible future unit. At least it could iron out possible problems.

Mmmm if you want a brick like device which PSP owners will laugh at it might work, but they would still not be as efficient as a li-ion. It's much better to have that area set up properly with a proper charger so it all works out the box.

You get upto 10 or so hours and no one does the 'My batteries only last 20mins' dance' or the 'My PSU blew up my GP2X' Spandau Ballet.

We will use an off the shelf battery which will be cheap and not some custom only for profit thing.

And I'm sure if you really wanted to you could hack in some AAs anyway. :)

predatorramboxxx said:
i just want to know what company is making this
Are you serious? It really seems obvious to me that GPH is making this - Unless I somehow missed something. ;)

edit: OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 I can't believe this is actually going to come out!!

How come noone does a "hybrid" battery compartment, that can take either a custom powerful battery pack, chargable thru an adapter, or a bunch of std AAs if you're stuck without charging possibility? It shouldn't be too difficult to do imo..

Well if it works out of the box and lasts 8-10 hours, then Li-ion is the way to go, no question. Will the battery be easily detachable so as to be able to carry spares on travels?

Also, please make a hardwired volume wheel, don't rely on everyone implementing software volume control in their devices! It's also great for making sure you won't ever get your ears blown up when using earphones.

Bets of luck with this, exciting times once again :)

Zider said:
How come noone does a "hybrid" battery compartment, that can take either a custom powerful battery pack, chargable thru an adapter, or a bunch of std AAs if you're stuck without charging possibility? It shouldn't be too difficult to do imo..
Agreed! I would welcome the accu pack at least beeing as thick as 1cm + small bit to have the shell big enough to accomodate AAs if needed, an empty dummy accupack containing springs for the AA cells would do the rest i guess. The most important thing on an accu pack is that its easily *replacable* (unlike the iPhone which earned harsh critics for having its power source jammed inside the shell)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back