Release DeaDBeeF

That would have saved me some bother when it was crashing on me fwiw. I had a playlist with three or four CDs queued up on it, but after crashing it would always have the third track on the first CD highlighted, and I'd have to guess which CD and how far I'd got through it before it crashed.

For normal use, quitting the app causes the playlist state to be saved correctly, but as far as I can tell, programmatically killing the program (via either kill -2, -3 or -9) doesn't trigger that save, so I've not found any scriptable ways of stopping the process nicely.

The new build (tested by Levi) is on the repo.

@pmprog: I tried something in this build, but I don't think it worked as expected... I'll re-check later.

Build 14:

• In synch with latest git repo => now v0.7

So new build on the repo.

Thanks to @Levi, the current play list is saved at each change of music.

Also, fixed a segfault when refreshing a covert art when no covert arts exists in the folder.

Build 15:

• save current playlist at each change of track
  • fixed a segfault when refreshing covert arts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Opus files seem to be played as 44.1 kHz, no matter what the input frequency is. Didn't check a whole lot of other formats, but they seem fine in that regard.
Would that be fixable? All my files are 48 kHz. Thanks.  :D

Hmm, I didn't even know deadbeef could play Opus files.  I tried experimenting with that format for encoding my music, but found playback support to be limited.

Consequently, all my test files, having come from CD are 44.1kHz.  Have you got a 48kHz test file to reproduce this?  Or perhaps I could regenerate a wav file from my flac store, tweak that then opus encode it.

Afaik Opus actually doesn't even support 44.1 KHz, at least not with the standard tools and they don't recommend it either. It's always upscaled to 48 kHz. My original sources were 44.1 kHz as well, nothing I can really just legally share around, though.

I could look up some free sounds and convert them, of course, but by that time you got something else to test already I guess.

The official Deadbeef build for Debian x64 plays my files just fine. They're played through FFMPEG, so I guess an updated version of that could help... maybe.

Ah, thanks.  If they're played through ffmpeg then there's unlikely to be much point in digging through the deadbeef code again.  Yeah, given how new Opus is, an updated ffmpeg might be worth trying.

So new build on the repo.

Thanks to @Levi, the current play list is saved at each change of music.

Also, fixed a segfault when refreshing a covert art when no covert arts exists in the folder.

Build 15:

• save current playlist at each change of track
  • fixed a segfault when refreshing covert arts.
I know this was a good time ago, but I've finally migrated the change you made for me out to a plugin for deadbeef instead. So it doesn't require a custom deadbeef build :)

So when it comes to the Pyra version, I'll be good with the default :)

Huh, seems like this doesn't work on my laptop any more... Makes me wonder if it ever worked, but I'm sure i tested it a few times.

Where the table flip emoji? :(

Really sorry to revive this, but I've been having and issue with both DeaDBeeF and Audacious where certain albums won't play, and they are different on each player, though I'm mostly using DeaDBeeF.
What happens is that a majority of my music will play, but when it jumps to a certain two albums (which play fine on my mac and on audacious on the pandora) the music just stops, and then it won't play anything, and I have to restart DeaDBeeF to play anything at all.

In Audacious the same thing occurs, but with different albums. It is happening with songs that are all .mp3 format, so it doesn't seem to be a format or codec issue, since other mp3's play fine. I've also tried removing special characters, but not all the songs that won't play have special characters, but that doesn't help either. Would really appreciate some help :)

Hmm, I've never noticed that with any of the podcasts I listen to from the internet. I assume the tracks load into the playlist just fine, it's only when it comes to playing them that audio stops.

I wonder what the differences can be. If the tracks load in then it's not a problem with the m3u playlist file or anything like that. I guess there might be small differences, like some tracks from CD source being recorded at 44.1kHz and other stuff at 48kHz, but I'd be surprised if that causes a problem. You should be able to run ffprobe on a sample set of files to discover the codec used and the bit rate from a terminal.

I recommend re-creating your playlist.

I've noticed that on SD cards you get bit rot, and some files get slightly corrupted, enough that some textfiles suddenly contain yunk, or that an MP3 suddenly skips and pops.

DeadBeef indexes all song, and puts many fields of an MP3 into it's binary structure (you can view it with vi, but mousepad will refuse to open these files.
Deadbeef requires a dbpl file (playlist), usually 0.dbpl (the default). You can find and delete this file in ./appdata/deadbeef/deadbeef/playlists/

Did you try to copy just 2 albums (one that works, one that doesnt into a new playlist and use a hexeditor to look at the .dbpl file? Does it still stop playing your "bad album"?
Did you copy a fresh album directory from your source onto the SD card? Maybe an MP3 contains control characters in it's fields that break the database?
Did you try to use a new playlist?

Other things I am thinking about: an MP3 that have weird bitrates/samplerate/channels, that breaks the DeadBeef-to-soundcard and I vaguely remember that the Pandora had a problem returning from bitrates or something like that.

Else, try searching here (but keep in mind we have an old DeadBeef, so the issue might be closed/fixed already):

It also could be because you are trying to fetch album information from freedb.org (sunset in april), but that couldn't be because you run offline, right?

Back