Eta For End Of Batch 1?

Gruntfuggly

Mostly Harmless
Website
www.zaonce.com
Without wishing to start any slanging matches I was just wondering if there is a rough idea of when the end of batch one is likely to be delivered. The latest information I can find in the blog suggests that the rest of the first 4000 cases will arrive around about when the 1000 delivered units mark is hit, but from everything else I can work out we're only going to be up to 900 at any time soon.

I know that it is hoped that batch two will start shipping in October, so I assume that batch one would be complete by then. It just seems that they are shipping 100 here, 200 there at the moment, so I can't really see how that's going to happen?

Please note - this is not supposed to be a bitch/moan/gripe thread - just a simple question.

a simple answer :

when it ends.

an elongated answer :

when it ends, nobody knows. Sooner rather than later hopefully, before Christmas maybe?
You have as much information there as anybody else and we are all working on the same supposition.

well i say "we", i dont really mind since i have one of mine already... want to smell it? touching costs more ;)

Nobody really knows.

Before the nubs problem Craig mentioned that he wanted to have the first batch shipped by the end of October. The nubs delayed stuff about two months(TM) I think, so December is my current optimistic estimate.

The team will probably come in here and claim they will ship sooner (all credits to them if they can manage that), but so much has gone wrong already that I don't believe it until it actually happens.

Threads like this make me sad :(

It looks like 200 per week is the optimistic view of what might happen from now, speeding up to maybe 350 a week once the nubs are completely fixed. So between October and December seems about right. Cases should not be a problem, they have 1500 arriving next week or something, with the rest following by sea.

Well, since the boards itself are really sturdy, the only problem left seem to be the nubs.
New prototype samples of the nubs should be there next week and will be stress tested very hard.

If they work fine, they can produce them. We're trying to get smaller batches from them to speed up getting the nubs - and when they are there, things could masively speed up.
500 units a week might even be possible - though I think 300 would also be okay for a start (and a realistic assumption).

When Batch 2 parts arrive in time, production would seamlessly continue after Batch 1.

EvilDragon said:
500 units a week might even be possible - though I think 300 would also be okay for a start (and a realistic assumption).
I hope this starts to happen in the next few weeks. It is now 'two more weeks', things are getting better!

Last edited by a moderator:
Since Craig seems to be planning to start batch 2 production in late October, I'm guessing he's planning to have batch 1 finished by then...

Seems a little optimistic to me... I'm just hoping I get mine before the end of the year :(

--Zero

Ze_ro said:
Since Craig seems to be planning to start batch 2 production in late October, I'm guessing he's planning to have batch 1 finished by then...

Seems a little optimistic to me... I'm just hoping I get mine before the end of the year :(

--Zero
Well, there is likely to be some overlap in the start of production (pcbs) and the finishing of shipping batch 1 - Meaning that by then, finished PCBs are arriving in the hall faster than they can be put in cases and shipped out. That is probably what he means. He has to plan for this to happen, otherwise there will be a gap between the runs.

When should I abandon waiting and ask for a refund?

I'm at the end of batch 1 but it seems to be taking an inordinate amount of time to ship.

k2

That's entirely up to you, as it's your money and not ours. It is not something we can advise you on.

Thunder7 said:

I'm at the end of batch 1 but it seems to be taking an inordinate amount of time to ship.

k2

I like to think about it like this: even though we'll be the last ones in the first batch to receive our Pandoras, the amount of time we wait will be less than that of those up front. Also, the build quality will be better, too.

I know that someone will respond to this concerning an assumption I've made. I just want to point out this is how I like to think, not necessarily reality.

Thunder7 said:

k2
Depends how you view it. I've been in since October 1 '08 (the original mail mentioned shipping in December, but again, it didn't say which December), and I think I'll just see how it goes. I've basically written off the money mentally, and swing from not giving a monkey's to being really peed off with the total information vacuum - I don't want to be following people on twitter, etc. But clearly I'm in the minority there. Just come here once every two weeks, then it won't be too bad. Unless you need the money for crack or something.

djaychela said:
being really peed off with the total information vacuum
I do not think that word means what you think it means. :p

Here is what I think is the best reply to the question posed in this thread. I don't wanna sound mean or anything... But there is no reason to create topics like this one and the thousand that came before. You will get no conclusive answer from the OP team members because they are busy trying to get the damn things finished and even they don't know for sure when that will be. Take comfort in the fact that they are working on it and haven't fled to countries with no extradition laws :p

EDIT: Outsourcing to China may be cheaper, but that don't make the manufacturing process any faster. In fact, from what I have seen IRL it is alot slower, especially when taking into account shipping and the fact that chinese manufacturers make larger orders a priority.

Back