Eta On 2Nd Batch?

Monk said:
Then bear in mind that, in fact, that "demand" (after the first 4000) has yet to be measured. It has yet to appear, so it's probably quite difficult to determine how large it is - when there are still a hundred or so first batch units to sell, it might be unwise to order a second batch of 4000.

Yeah, think of how hard it is to sell the first 4000... They haven't even done that yet.

-- The Pandora needs some market exposure first and some good "word-of-mouth" attention. I've already been spreading the word about the Pandora all over Minnesota. [I'm doing MY part...] ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The only real issue I can see with holding off on production of the second batch (delaying it more than the time it takes for production) is that some commercial developers demonstrated interest in porting software to the Pandora if its user-base is large enough. The longer between batches, the longer it takes for us to get large-scale commercial applications (yes, I'm considering pay-to-play indie games as commercial applications). I'm not saying that this is a deal-breaker or something that could cause massive problems, but it's something to consider. I guess the dev team could take pre-orders, then email developers saying "We've sold 4000 Pandoras already, and we've got orders for 5000 more. That's 9000 so far, and we're planning on producing more past those. Interested in porting your stuff over?".

MrBlais said:
Monk said:
Then bear in mind that, in fact, that "demand" (after the first 4000) has yet to be measured. It has yet to appear, so it's probably quite difficult to determine how large it is - when there are still a hundred or so first batch units to sell, it might be unwise to order a second batch of 4000.

Yeah, think of how hard it is to sell the first 4000... They haven't even done that yet.

-- The Pandora needs some market exposure first and some good "word-of-mouth" attention. I've already been spreading the word about the Pandora all over Minnesota. [I'm doing MY part...]
wink.gif

Yup. I think there are several causes for optimism - the kit itself looks quite nice on paper (yes, even a year later it STILL looks pretty good) and of course there's us lot (you're not alone in mentioning it in positive terms, though it's not made easier by being still a "virtual" machine) including the rather capable devs who seem to hang around all day being clever. But still, I wouldn't blame them for (say) wanting half the next batch ordered before they start manufacturing. At the very least, guage how well the tech sites like the Pandora when there is one to actually review.

There should also be all those people who would have LIKED to order from batch #1, but couldn't because they had to use credit cards and have not realised the OpenPandora will now take CC, or whose parents won't buy them one until they ACTUALLY exist and can be PROVEN not to be a con, beyond all reasonable doubt. We don't really know how large that group is, but I'm sure it exists to some degree.

Vorporeal said:
The only real issue I can see with holding off on production of the second batch (delaying it more than the time it takes for production) is that some commercial developers demonstrated interest in porting software to the Pandora if its user-base is large enough. The longer between batches, the longer it takes for us to get large-scale commercial applications (yes, I'm considering pay-to-play indie games as commercial applications). I'm not saying that this is a deal-breaker or something that could cause massive problems, but it's something to consider. I guess the dev team could take pre-orders, then email developers saying "We've sold 4000 Pandoras already, and we've got orders for 5000 more. That's 9000 so far, and we're planning on producing more past those. Interested in porting your stuff over?".

There are currently about 300 units unsold - these are 100 that they hope to sell from the first batch and 200 "spares" or 2extras" to take account of any failures. If there is a REALLY hot prospect (I don't know - iD or Microsoft or 2D Boy or something) then I suspect OpenPandora might stretch their rules just a tad to use one/some of those last 100 or even spare 200 from the first batch if it's really likely to help expand the market.

Oh yes - that's assuming that, as Craig has intimated, they "close" pre-orders on the first batch while there are some unsold. I'm not quite convinced on THAT point, having seen them use "closing pre-orders" as a stick to beat people who are on-the-fence before now and then extended the deadling by days...weeks...months...holy cow, nearly a year now!

But even if they don't extend the ability to buy from batch#1, they should still have SOME units (up to 200) in reserve for emergencies. "John Carmack wants to port Quake 4 to the Pandora" would probably count as an emergency.

Pleng said:
.....Yup and didn't God do a great job there! :D Nobody suggested flooding the market either....
I thought God flooded Palestine or somewhere in the Middle East

MrBlais said:
this isnt a problem. the demand is sufficient but the problem has been faith in delivery over the past few months. they pretty much sold out 4000 give or take a few but with the credit card situation and the delays people have pulled out. faith in the project has died but once it comes out and is no longer seen as vapour and also once its getting pimped around the various tech sites it will absolutely take off. it wont sell like PSPs or DSs but there will be oodles of demand.

Well, according to Craig about 3,700 of us still have faith so I wouldn't say it's died out completely ;)

Monk said:
Sit back, relax, and ponder the posts Craig has made over the year - he tends to issue short bleats which leave out more than they inform. Call it a personality flaw, but sometimes they are more fun to read than (say) my long rambles.

I like bullet points, which is good because I often only have the time to write very quick replies in between doing hundreds of other things during the day!

I'm not in to the internet argument scene, so long posts are rare. We just get on with things.

I do enjoy this thread though, the armchair manufacturers go well with the armchair engineers, and now and again something good comes from it.

Monk said:
I'm certainly not buying an armchair made by this lot! :D

i donno.... after all the analsys, cross analsys, disputing and argueing about which design and OCD nitpickers you would have the craziest chair in existance

41e-Rj7ZjSL._AA260_.jpg

imagine this but with lazers and shit

EDIT: i actually want one of these now... god damn these are expensive 270 pounds or whatever you uk guys use
http://www.digitalsales.co.uk/Renegade_Game_Chair.htm

EDIT2: HOLY CRAP! http://www.thegamingcollection.com/ULG_Deluxe_V3.htm

craigix said:
Derek said:
You claim you want to have a community before creating the second batch or taking a so called break before hand, the last time I checked a community involved people so the bigger the community the more people you will have. A community of 100+ people that own the device doesn't ...

You do know the first run is 4000 don't you?

And also, most parts are over two months lead time... you just have no idea about manufacturing.
I will be quite honest, when you said you were taking a break after the first batch I honestly thought you meant after the 105! Sorry my ignorance of this caused my post to be more of a waste of time. Your right, I have no idea about manufacturing.

My point still stands, even with your post quoted here, that you should try and be more professional. Instead of saying "... you just have no idea about manfacturing" You could of easily said.....

Most parts are over two months lead time so with that said it wouldn't work out exactly how you think it should. Manufacturing a device is not as easy or fast as some people would think. I understand everyone wants a Pandora and wants it now, but the more we rush things the bigger a chance is for something to go wrong. We are working hard to get the Pandora out to people. We can't wait until we see the community flourish with developers, programmers, and owners writing about how much they enjoy the Pandora.

Thank you,
Craig
Man in Charge (change to offical title or leave as is)
Pandora Team

That would make anybody feel way better about purchasing your device. You will gain more customers this way than being a big ass and having an ego to match. Hopefully you will heed some of the peoples advice here and stop being so cocky, cause not to sound like an ass but really anyone could of created the Pandora.

Anyone could've created anything, but someone has to have the idea and actually create it.
Craig was the one to make this machine come true. If he didn't, someone might have done it, but maybe not. Or maybe they would but years from now.

I kinda like craigix's cutting replies - at least it's genuine (as in, he speaks his mind off the cuff) and not some PR BS. Some people take him waaay too seriously.

Oh, and for armchairs you can't go past this.

It's easier to read a short reply that says, "You don't understand, you're wrong, we need two month's lead time" than a long one that gives all the reasons.
It is a little insulting, but at least it's not too long to even bother reading.

As for armchairs...

http://reviews.bestbuy.com/3545/7675456/reviews.htm

Roller skate wheels.

lulzfish said:
It's easier to read a short reply that says, "You don't understand, you're wrong, we need two month's lead time" than a long one that gives all the reasons.
It is a little insulting, but at least it's not too long to even bother reading.

As for armchairs...

http://reviews.bestbuy.com/3545/7675456/reviews.htm

Roller skate wheels.

Honestly if people think what I typed was to long to read than the world is filled with simple minded people. I can read what I typed in less than 1 minute. I don't want him to write a novel just be more professional with his short comments. I only gave an example of what I would write if I was in his position. Personally I am trying to help bring more people to this community. The Pandora is more of an adult device but yet most of the people here act childish. If someone like a 42yr old man came to the forum looking for more information on the Pandora, a device that he thinks might be what he is looking for, and he came across multiple post by the owner/maker of the Pandora being unprofessional he might change his mind.

jb0yx said:
Monk said:
I'm certainly not buying an armchair made by this lot!
biggrin.gif

i donno.... after all the analsys, cross analsys, disputing and argueing about which design and OCD nitpickers you would have the craziest chair in existance

41e-Rj7ZjSL._AA260_.jpg

imagine this but with lazers and shit

EDIT: i actually want one of these now... god damn these are expensive 270 pounds or whatever you uk guys use
http://www.digitalsa..._Game_Chair.htm

EDIT2: HOLY CRAP! http://www.thegaming...G_Deluxe_V3.htm

Aw, now my "Command Chair" does seem as neat as I once thought it was! (no electronics AT ALL! Never mind lasers...)

Yes, we use Pounds Sterling for our currency
smile.gif
though I know someone who saw a Euro earlier in the year.

Derek said:
Hopefully you will heed some of the peoples advice here and stop being so cocky, cause not to sound like an ass but really anyone could of created the Pandora.

It is every man's inalienable right to sound like a complete dick on The Internet
biggrin.gif

Etinin said:
Anyone could've created anything, but someone has to have the idea and actually create it.
Craig was the one to make this machine come true. If he didn't, someone might have done it, but maybe not. Or maybe they would but years from now.

Craig seems to have absorbed ED, MWeston, Faith and a few other peeps! Run fer your lives!

OR

No man is an island. Because then it would be far too easy to avoid tax.

Derek said:
Honestly if people think what I typed was to long to read than the world is filled with simple minded people.
Welcome to The Internet, friend!
biggrin.gif

Derek said:
I can read what I typed in less than 1 minute. I don't want him to write a novel just be more professional with his short comments. I only gave an example of what I would write if I was in his position. Personally I am trying to help bring more people to this community. The Pandora is more of an adult device but yet most of the people here act childish. If someone like a 42yr old man came to the forum looking for more information on the Pandora, a device that he thinks might be what he is looking for, and he came across multiple post by the owner/maker of the Pandora being unprofessional he might change his mind.

But it takes him longer than a minute to write it. And more when writing to ED. And longer posts to answer each and every daft e-mail asking "Can I have a pink case please, since it's for my 5 year old daughter?" and so on. These things mount up. Anyone who can impolitely tell Craig that he has no business sense can surely take a slightly abrupt response without going overboard. can't they?

Oh - I was a 42 year old man when I decided I wanted a Pandora. I am now a 44 year old man, and I STILL want a Pandora even though Craig can be annoying! I don't want a Craig - I want a Pandora!

CriagIX can be professional, but I don't think he wants to comply with idiocy, as previously stated, by impatient persons.

To this I bit him a nod in mutual agreement that internet bandits don't deserve the time of day.

Back