Eta On 2Nd Batch?

Derek said:
You claim you want to have a community before creating the second batch or taking a so called break before hand, the last time I checked a community involved people so the bigger the community the more people you will have. A community of 100+ people that own the device doesn't ...

You do know the first run is 4000 don't you?

And also, most parts are over two months lead time... you just have no idea about manufacturing.

Last edited by a moderator:
ya know... nowhere can I quote craig on even remotely asking for advice on this what they wanted to do once the first batch is complete... what I do recall HOWEVER is him letting us know what IS going to happen. I do hear alot of people throwing their 2 cents in where it may not necessarily be needed.... or wanted as what appears to be clear from his comments. I don't know... that's just my unwanted 2 cents as well.

TWO CENTS! WHO WANTS'EM

(Did anyone of you get scared with the apostrophe bug?)

craigix said:
Derek said:
You claim you want to have a community before creating the second batch or taking a so called break before hand, the last time I checked a community involved people so the bigger the community the more people you will have. A community of 100+ people that own the device doesn't ...

And also, most parts are over two months lead time... you just have no idea about manufacturing.

OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAND!?!?!

... oh wait ... 4000.

QU/OTE (Phawx @ //September 23 2009, 11:38 AM//) <{/POST_SNAPBACK/}>

TWO CENTS! WHO WANTS'''EM/

/(Did anyone of you get scared with the apostrophe bug?'//)

I'm not sure what you're talking about/

Derek said:
Pleng said:
I never claimed to be a business expert.

I'm 99% certain though that in this case if you asked ten experts in the industry they would all agree with me.

Personally I believe your post was good. It made sense and was very constructive.

craigix said:
Pleng said:
I never claimed to be a business expert.

I'm 99% certain though that in this case if you asked ten experts in the industry they would all agree with me.

Brilliant. Sig worthy.
I believe your post should be more professional.

[tl;dr]
Please tell me your post is a joke.

As in my opinion, second batch should really wait at least until a nice base of software gets released,
if we all end up with a hardware and no software its going to be a pain to sell and to support it.

the second is that on a very slightly minimal (and hopefully this doesnt curse the project) small flaw
on any of the designed parts could be fixed before next wave so it hits the market with a more solid quality.

and as for the manufacturing times, well, after the hardest part that is/was the first wave, it is much more easy
to start production again, so it is not needed such a big bump in the time. (maybe those who are mad about the resting
time are mad because of the extra Two Months (tm) dose).

now, as for the case (and other spares for the future) im still interested to buy an extra one (for modding purposes), has the OPT defined a price?

DroneB Dev said:
As in my opinion, second batch should really wait at least until a nice base of software gets released,

I'm still confused about this sentiment.
What kind of software do you mean?
If there's a serious problem with something shipping on the NAND such as the Wi-Fi drivers, I can understand waiting for that, but the games and end-user applications for a console will always get better with time, that doesn't mean they delay later batches for it.

Pleng said:
craigix said:
The second batch will be in 2010 sometime, we will, quite rightly, be having a bit of a rest after this run is finished.

Seriously? You're going to release a system then deliberately delay production of new units just so you can 'have a bit of a rest'. Where's the commercial sense in that. You're not Nintendo... while there are people who will be willing to wait to order there will be others checking it out, finding out they can't get one now, and never bothering again. Lost customers. And for what?..

That's probably when the ebay value of a Pandora will sky rocket!

..an Ego trip to see just how high a Pandora goes for on ebay? It's a dangerous game to be playing with such a niche product. Have you run this plan by a business adviser? Because I'm keen to find out what feedback you'd get! Have your rest when Pandora's are selling by they hundreds or thousands of units per month, and there's little else to do other than dream of your next project - not now you've just got started that's INSANE.

In the few months gap we will be <snip> getting the scene going

Ok so you're going to spend a few months building up a scene by not providing any new hardware to expand the userbase? Have you been reading from the Amiga Inc book of business strategy?

My advise: Rethink.

Seriously.
Even God rested and there's more than one way to build a niche besides flooding the market. You can't buy back your life.

Good god.. Where's the hostility coming from?

I know some are getting impatient, but some of these belligerent posts are astonishing. You people, in all honestly, need to take a break from this forum. I'm not saying that lightly.

DroneB Dev said:
if we all end up with a hardware and no software its going to be a pain to sell and to support it.
I think there will be more software available early on than people think. The archive might look sparse for now, but consider what's out there:

- Pandora apps by devs who have Pandora hardware. A lot of this will probably go into the archive at the eleventh hour. No sense putting WIP stuff in there now.

- Pandora apps by devs who don't have Pandora hardware. Once they get their first batch Pandoras, their work will start appearing.

- Angstrom apps already in the Angstrom repository.

Guys, seriously, give Craig & Co. a break.

Read the first line he wrote again:
The second batch will be in 2010 sometime, we will, quite rightly, be having a bit of a rest after this run is finished.

They've been working hard for the past 2 years, aside from their normal jobs. Don't you think that once everyone who pre-ordered finally gets their device, they do rightfully deserve some nice time off? They're not robots. They probably want to play on their Pandoras too.

lulzfish said:
Of course they deserve a rest, but my mind is still being boggled that it would have anything to do with software maturing.

Where did Craig actually say that?

lulzfish said:
Of course they deserve a rest, but my mind is still being boggled that it would have anything to do with software maturing.
it is not like that, but as in "my opinion" it should also delay it (the second batch not the first!) and they deserve a rest!

yes i see and believe theres a general pop of software ready to run after the first 105 boards gets delivered, and even after the 4K gets delivered and more software get leased on, theres a general issue and it is that as a general rule a software will still be on testing even after V1.0 gets released. thats because most of the bugs are found under intensive user feedback. (if not, the world of the software would be so nice and happy, and maybe windows wouldnt get yelled at so much).

this is more a way of thinking of a general retailer rather than a dev feedback. and its because you really dont want to sell something that has the posibility (small one but still possible)of having some smaller middle and larger issues (even such a large CO as DELL had the faulty batts crisis). plus the second wave will be more directed towards the general User rather than the advanced DEV/PROGRAMER/IT people and so on if panda makes a hit, more "common User" are going to buy it.

I don't know why, but I lol'd at each of Craig's posts. This is a wonderful thread, amusing on so many levels.

craigix said:
Derek said:

OK your arrogant attitude is seriously starting to irritate me. Whenever somebody upsets you, rather than defend your position you start attacking your customers/associates. You realise that everybody you mock are not only potential customers, but ambassadors for your products. People who might have introduced friends and colleges to the Pandora, and shown it off when it arrives. Friends and colleages who just might decide to pre-order from the second batch (who of course, could show their units to other fridns and colleages... you get the picture). People you are insulting might even be potential distributors for your products in other parts of the world. I know that if I had been thinking about distribution of promoting your products in any other physical or market area I certainly wouldn't want to do business with you after some of the comments you have made in this thread.

It's not even about having an idea about manufacturing. You said the team was planning to take a 'deserved' break. If you meant that you were going to arrange pre-orders for the second batch and take a break while waiting for parts to arrive and units to be manufactured then that would have been a whole different story. But that is not what you said. You simply stated that you were going have a rest, insinuating that you were planning to sit around twiddling your thumbs, rubbing your hands at the prices of Pandoras on e-bay (assuming that they do go for any considerable amount of money).

alec said:
They've been working hard for the past 2 years, aside from their normal jobs. Don't you think that once everyone who pre-ordered finally gets their device, they do rightfully deserve some nice time off?

It's well quoted that there really is no such thing as a day off when you're self employed. And if you want to take a break then you need to find the right time to do so. When your product is finally being produced and there is demand for more (the longevity of said demand being undetermined) is not such a time, no matter how hard you feel you've worked and how much you think you deserve a break.

alec said:
They're not robots. They probably want to play on their Pandoras too.

To be fair, they've had Pandora's to play with for quite a while. Sure, not the finished thing, but they certainly looked playable to me.

Sphinxter said:
Even God rested and there's more than one way to build a niche besides flooding the market.

Yup and didn't God do a great job there! :D Nobody suggested flooding the market either, simply providing supply to match demand.

Esn said:
Monk said:
I'd like to point out another angle. Supposedly although our money paid for the first batch to be made
That was certainly the original intention, but I remember someone saying that due to a number of unforeseen events (e.g. the nub manufacturer going belly-up), the first batch will no longer be paying for itself and the break-even point will be somewhere in the second batch.

Luckily for us, Craig and ED have a business aside from the Pandora and can afford to take some temporary losses (I think ED said that he mortgaged his house against the money needed, too...).

You know, I HAD completely forgotten about that - which is kinda bad about me. I suspect it emphasises my point even more tho, that the OpenPandora team might not want to throw more money into the pit until they see some preorders suppkying that money (it also helps make more sense of the wording - "preorders" - on the revamped web site).

craigix said:

Ignorance is bliss! We can fill up that void with random speculation, which is a LOT mroe fun!

jb0yx said:
ya know... nowhere can I quote craig on even remotely asking for advice on this what they wanted to do once the first batch is complete... what I do recall HOWEVER is him letting us know what IS going to happen. I do hear alot of people throwing their 2 cents in where it may not necessarily be needed.... or wanted as what appears to be clear from his comments. I don't know... that's just my unwanted 2 cents as well.

All this American money - why does no-one ever throw money that I can use in THIS country? :lesigh

Meanwhile, Craig is a convenient sitting duck/target. He's there, he's loud, and he's brightly coloured. There's nothing more satisfying, as far as I can see from the last years worth of posts, than telling him HOW and WHY he's wrong. How on EARTH he got to be part of a team producing the Pandora is absolutely beyond me... ;)

Pleng said:
OK your arrogant attitude is seriously starting to irritate me...

It's not even about having an idea about manufacturing. You said the team was planning to take a 'deserved' break. If you meant that you were going to arrange pre-orders for the second batch and take a break while waiting for parts to arrive and units to be manufactured then that would have been a whole different story. But that is not what you said. You simply stated that you were going have a rest, insinuating that you were planning to sit around twiddling your thumbs, rubbing your hands at the prices of Pandoras on e-bay (assuming that they do go for any considerable amount of money).

Yup and didn't God do a great job there!
biggrin.gif
Nobody suggested flooding the market either, simply providing supply to match demand.

Sit back, relax, and ponder the posts Craig has made over the year - he tends to issue short bleats which leave out more than they inform. Call it a personality flaw, but sometimes they are more fun to read than (say) my long rambles.

Then bear in mind that, in fact, that "demand" (after the first 4000) has yet to be measured. It has yet to appear, so it's probably quite difficult to determine how large it is - when there are still a hundred or so first batch units to sell, it might be unwise to order a second batch of 4000.

Back