Eta On 2Nd Batch?

Xicor

Still Fresh
Last year when the team started taking preorders, I took the unfortunate decision to wait until the 2nd batch went into production to buy a Pandora.
So my question is, what's the current ETA on the next batch, considering all the delays that occured?

Alec  said:
That depends on the ETA of the first batch :)

Indeed. Thee are still a few spots left in the first batch, though, so if you want one, e-mail openpandorasales@gmail.com for ordering information...

Last edited by a moderator:
If the wording is correct on the official site, you can pre-order as soon as the first batch ships. Not too sure about that though...

there are still some available from the 1st batch

(unless in 3 days they have received 100~ preorders)

They'll have the moulds for the cases, keymats etc. The design for the PCB and nubs is finalised. The complex stuff is done and should not need to change.

So I suppose that the production of the second batch depends on how quickly they can obtain the other components. Hopefully the production of the second (and subsequent batches) should not be anything like as problematic as the first batch (touch wood, cross-fingers, <insert superstition of choice>)

I'd say with a couple of 100 from the first batch not beeing sold, there is a good chance there wont be a second batch untill they get sold. The good, that might give the new owners time to use there units, and spread the buzz. The bad... If it takes as long to get the second batch brewed, the unit will be dead. And there will never be a follow up.
B!

Alec  said:
That depends on the ETA of the first batch :)

No. That depends on the TA of the first batch. We had enough E's already.

I sent a PM to Craig a week ago asking about getting on the pre-order track for the first batch... He replied (maybe a few days ago), and also gave me a tidbit about expected arrival for the second batch:

There are indeed some left, we will be doing a final newsletter on the remaining units then closing preorders.

The batch after that will be available in 2010.

Thanks,

Craig

Gilrad said:
I sent a PM to Craig a week ago asking about getting on the pre-order track for the first batch... He replied (maybe a few days ago), and also gave me a tidbit about expected arrival for the second batch:

There are indeed some left, we will be doing a final newsletter on the remaining units then closing preorders.

The batch after that will be available in 2010.

Thanks,

Craig

Well, it would seem to be almost impossible for a second batch to occur before then - we don't even know FOR SURE that that first batch will be before then! Then there's all that pesky building up new orders then actually manufacturing to take place before a second batch could ship.

Honestly - asking when the second batch will occur is a little like asking when we will make contact with a second species of intelligent aliens.

"we will be doing a final newsletter"

Wait, there were newsletters already?

The second batch will be in 2010 sometime, we will, quite rightly, be having a bit of a rest after this run is finished.

But everything will be in place to run a second batch off in 2010, I should think we will wait a few months at least before doing it. That's probably when the ebay value of a Pandora will sky rocket!

In the few months gap we will be looking after the current customers, getting the scene going, having a coding competition, things like that, well I suppose just sort of hanging out with you on here making the Pandora awesome.

Mr B said:
If it takes as long to get the second batch brewed, the unit will be dead. And there will never be a follow up.
It shouldn't take nearly as long, hopefully there won't be anything to tweak, so they'll just have to produce the parts and assemble them, easier said than done, but much easier the second time around.
Also, I'd like to think that with the first batch finally done, not only will people want to buy it who held off making sure it wasn't vaporware, but a few months of awesome reviews and buzz should ensure a second batch. :)

craigix said:
The second batch will be in 2010 sometime, we will, quite rightly, be having a bit of a rest after this run is finished.

Seriously? You're going to release a system then deliberately delay production of new units just so you can 'have a bit of a rest'. Where's the commercial sense in that. You're not Nintendo... while there are people who will be willing to wait to order there will be others checking it out, finding out they can't get one now, and never bothering again. Lost customers. And for what?..

That's probably when the ebay value of a Pandora will sky rocket!

..an Ego trip to see just how high a Pandora goes for on ebay? It's a dangerous game to be playing with such a niche product. Have you run this plan by a business adviser? Because I'm keen to find out what feedback you'd get! Have your rest when Pandora's are selling by they hundreds or thousands of units per month, and there's little else to do other than dream of your next project - not now you've just got started that's INSANE.

In the few months gap we will be <snip> getting the scene going

Ok so you're going to spend a few months building up a scene by not providing any new hardware to expand the userbase? Have you been reading from the Amiga Inc book of business strategy?

My advise: Rethink.

Seriously.

I never claimed to be a business expert.

I'm 99% certain though that in this case if you asked ten experts in the industry they would all agree with me.

Pleng said:
I never claimed to be a business expert.

I'm 99% certain though that in this case if you asked ten experts in the industry they would all agree with me.

Brilliant. Sig worthy.

craigix said:
Brilliant. Sig worthy.

Clearly my italicization of the words in this case failed to emphasize the difference between the assumed belief that I am an expert in all areas of business, and the belief that I am right in one particular situation.

It's your business at the end of the day Craig, it was your vision that brought the project into being and well done for that. Take a break if you really feel it's the right time to do so.

Pleng said:
Clearly my italicization of the words in this case failed to emphasize the difference between the assumed belief that I am an expert in all areas of business, and the belief that I am right in one particular situation.
So... you're not an expert in all areas of business, but you are an expert in this specific area of business?

Whilst I wouldn't put it quite so vehemently as Pleng, I think they may have had a point.

It makes perfect sense to allow a period of time for any faults in the first batch to emerge, but at the same time I'm pretty sure there's going to be quite a lot of new interest in Pandora once everyone who has ordered one starts showing them off all over the internet.

I'm not going to do an un-boxing video myself, although I'm sure others will oblige, but you can be pretty damn sure I'll be extolling Pandora's virtues to basically everyone I meet for a good while, in particular those who thought it was all a scam.

Additionally, with an actually finished, on the market product in hand, I think it would be relatively easy to get some good mainstream press coverage, especially with the triumph over adversity story that goes along with it.

I would in no way want to be so presumptuous as to think I know better than any of the team, as I think they've already done an amazing thing, but it would seem a shame if they let a big marketing opportunity slip through their fingers. Much as they all undoubtedly deserve a rest, I think they would be wise to start taking orders for the next batch sooner rather than later, and ride the initial buzz that the Pandorks make in the wild with their new toys.

But who knows, may be the eBay sky rocketing prices is all part of their master plan, why not sell the next few thousand at double or triple prices, and laugh all the way to the bank? I don't think too many first batch-ers would be too worried about that; those who didn't have quite so much faith might be a bit pissed off though!

edit: typo

Back