Faster delivery upgrade-Information (2012-03-06)

I'm glad to see so much enthusiasm for the project even after all this time, but isn't anyone else bothered by how vague this post is? Some important questions need to be answered before I would commit to handing over any money on that page.

How much sooner does this get me the Pandora I preordered?

Can you guarantee me a date when the unit in question will ship other than "Two Months™ from now?"

Does donating (make no mistake, this is a donation: we are not being sold a tangible product or well defined service) more get you placed higher on the priority list?

This is just as vague as the "developer fund" that used to be offered alongside the Pandora in Craig's store.

I've never taken donations, or rather never tried to obtain them.

I have always given something in return, Apps, metal Pandoras etc.

As for the Devfund - what do you think paid for all the initial Pandora software? The Devfund. That is where all those preproduction Pandora units (etc.) came from which were sent to devs.

The first 8 Pandoras cost over $10,000 to make.

Last edited by a moderator:
Devfund. That is where all those preproduction Pandora units (etc.) came from which were sent to devs.

Ooooh, now I finally understand what my DevFund donation was used for. :D

Before, my idea of what happened to that money was a bit abstract. Not that I objected to donating it, or anything. Now I simply understand the process better. I think that was a great way to invest in the development for the platform, and I'm proud to have made a contribution.

Nokia did something similar with the N950 (for MeeGo Harmattan), handing them out to developers before the release of the N9... Except OP's dev units were community-funded. Yay! :wub:

People often make little remarks about the devfund without thinking about how those first Pandoras and the first software got developed.

In actual fact the devfund didn't come even close to covering all those costs - but it helped a lot.

Maybe we do need to make a giant FAQ covering all this at some point.

"For doing this you will get a new icon and member status, as well as early access to future products and news."

I have always given something in return

...eventually? Someday? One day, perhaps? Or are the haters misquoting you again?

Y'know, even if you just threw up your hands and said "mea culpa", that'd be something.

This is all on going, you can quite clearly see the final metal Pandoras have been delivered and right now we're trying to, you know, get the new Pandoras shipping.

Once that's up and running you know fine well we will be doing as we said with the forum, we know we are behind of various aspects of website and forum work, have said this SEVERAL TIMES of late.

What I don't understand is you know this, or at least it's easily found information on the forum, so either you're just ignorant of the facts, or you have chosen to try a bit of poor quality trolling. I really can't tell which it is.

It's me. Of course it's me. It couldn't be you. It's ALWAYS someone else.

But okay.

I'm here several times a day, every day, reading almost every thread that looks vaguely like anything I may be interested in (like what we're discussing). I'm happy to say that I've never come across this information that "easily found on the forum" nor have I seen anyone mention that the various items we paid for many months ago (and that's not even counting the Pandoras themselves) are being worked on, apologised for or even still coming. Let alone SEVERAL TIMES.

So at least this time you've made me aware of something, or perhaps that there's information somewhere that might answer my question or concerns. This is a step up for you, so thankyou for at least blessing me with a reply of sorts.

And if I need to be labelled a troll (and a poor quality one at that) in order to gain such a blessing, then so be it.

PS: If you'd said any of this in this thread specifically set up to ask about it, ignorant trolls like me wouldn't have to keep asking.

PPS: Turns out I'm really bad at the internets; I've been searching for the easily found information you refer to and I'm having no luck at all. I'm certain it's there somewhere and easily found - you're not known to be misleading - so I'll try harder.

I have always given something in return, Apps, metal Pandoras etc.

As for the Devfund - what do you think paid for all the initial Pandora software? The Devfund. That is where all those preproduction Pandora units (etc.) came from which were sent to devs.

The first 8 Pandoras cost over $10,000 to make.
I'm not here to start or participate in an argument, Craig. I ordered a Pandora from your shop, and am still patiently (and eagerly) awaiting its arrival. You did, however, strengthen my point: the dev fund's purpose was not made clear from the outset, regardless of what purpose it ultimately was put toward. I'm not criticizing you for establishing, accepting money, or using the dev fund; I'm simply pointing out the similarity of vagueness between its stated purpose and the vagueness of the stated purpose for this topic. Similarly I am simply expressing my hesitation to commit to contributing more money (which is scarce and precious, even in Alaska's economy) to the project without being given a clear idea of what kind of result I can expect in return for the expenditure.

I understand you're under a lot of stress and in some amount of pain, but seriously man, I would think you'd have developed a thicker hide by now. Comments of this nature shouldn't even register on your radar, much less ellicit this kind of defensive response.

a little more info would be nice though.....say, who has received these 8 pandora devkits?

Upgrading the pending order helps the classic preorder queue move faster in 2 ways:

1. It removes the pending order from the classic preorder queue.
  2. the extra funds then allow more of the un-upgraded classic preorders to be shipped per batch.

Simply making a donation would only accomplish the second of these.

- Neelix

My very simple point here was that this upgrade is to jump the queue and get your Pandora quicker. He really doesn't need it quicker since he already has a Pandora, and it's very minisculely affecting the rest of us. I don't really care that much at all about it, I was trying to make a joke-ish statement.

In Michigan, if an online purchase doesn't charge sales tax, you are responsible for declaring it on your state income tax return. I imagine most people don't, which is why they've been pressuring online retailers to do it.

Edit: I'll have to look up my 2010 return to see if I declared it. I found out recently that it's declared in the year of sale, not payment. But how often does that issue really come up :p
Back in the US, I am supposed to pay sales tax on any purchase I make, but since we don't have an income tax, there is no tax form to add the amount to. I'm not even sure where I'd go to find the information to pay the tax. Plus, I'd be expected to itemize those items and track which ones I have and haven't paid tax on.

Suffice it to say that nobody does so because it's such a ludicrous set up.

I don't care what state you live in, there is a Federal income tax that you are paying whether you know it or not. Usually it's auto-deducted from your paycheck, but it's not always accurate so on tax day you might have to pay or receive some amounts money. This is usually discovered when you file your taxes every year.

Getting my pandora 2 or 3 months more faster as I'm waiting since october 2008 isn't really a good reason to upgrade the order...

Anyway, if it can help (and be less slower anyway, why not)...

I just filled the form.

Since I don't have the money to upgrade, looks like I'll be waiting even longer for my Pandora (October 2008 and counting) *le sigh*

Since I don't have the money to upgrade, looks like I'll be waiting even longer for my Pandora (October 2008 and counting) *le sigh*

You should check out the Vita. I've never been more impressed by a piece of hardware. Can't wait to see how things develop in the next 2-3 years. If only the PSP had a screen like that.

You should check out the Vita. I've never been more impressed by a piece of hardware. Can't wait to see how things develop in the next 2-3 years. If only the PSP had a screen like that.

Blasphemy!!!

Back