Finding a proper name and logo :)

I came up with a name when i was out walking.  Dragonode.

It has dragon, it has node, and its an ode to the dragon, which is ED.

Ode is the same word in all major european languages, in spanish its oda. And it comes from ancient greek.

Node is also the same across the board, its geeky but not in a bad way, it translates nicely to computer device and it begs the question of what greater network (community) it belongs to.

Also i think it comes from knot, which goes nicely with my logo idea.

Dragonode is available on every top-domain. :)

3-4 syllable that roll along nicely and play on each-other. They cut off where the word-play is. It is easy to spell, and it works in many languages, the dragonode, dragonoden, etc.

It sounds not overly complex, and its not embarrassing to say.

I was out walking in the dark listening to the german version of radio-activity by kraftwerk. And my mind was with things pandora when i looked up at a LED lightpost, it had a matrix of shiney bright lights, and then i thought cluster, but then i thought about an individual thing which makes up a network.

Last edited by a moderator:
how about

dbx_d500_idea.png

would love this light-sand colour for the case! :)

how about

dbx_d500_idea.png

would love this light-sand colour for the case! :)
I Like it . Just drop the D-500 and make the DragonBox name/logo fill the space

Just a quick idea for the logo:

I know there is no theme to it other than a play on the 'box' motif, that will also link this device to it's predecessor... 

My objective? To make it as simple and striking as possible.

(It looks great even as a tiny icon for I.e. the start menu)

What I like about it? It's a fractal system, The center box is clearly visible even though it's nothing but empty space - I.e. Pure Potential!

It's radiant. Many shapes can be formed from this structure.

This would make a potent symbol for the device because not only does it tie-in with the Pandora logo in a way... this logo is also completely in-line with sacred geometry.

In fact - the geometric structure of space itself can be mapped on this logo.

Ok... that's probably too much information, but keep looking at it for a while... it simple, elegant, powerful...

Pyragon01.jpg
Would you believe that I have a nearly identical doodle on my notepad for a pyragon logo? :D

My thinking was first to make a polygon of pyramids with the bases forming the outline. The outer dark area is the base, and inner area a cross section of each pyramid. Think of seeing the bases "through" the pyramid and you'll see it. :)

There's also the box illusion it gives out to reference its predecessor. I was also thinking about making it somehow fire-themed (possibly just a suitable hue of red) to play with the "pyro" angle of Pyragon and the red hair of Pyrrha.

Would you believe that I have a nearly identical doodle on my notepad for a pyragon logo? :D

My thinking was first to make a polygon of pyramids with the bases forming the outline. The outer dark area is the base, and inner area a cross section of each pyramid. Think of seeing the bases "through" the pyramid and you'll see it. :)

There's also the box illusion it gives out to reference its predecessor. I was also thinking about making it somehow fire-themed (possibly just a suitable hue of red) to play with the "pyro" angle of Pyragon and the red hair of Pyrrha.
Great minds think alike. ;)

Would love to see what you have there...

I have a few variations in mind, but I had a lot to get done yesterday... will upload more soon.

Idea: would it be a good idea to create a subforum for the successor?

We are no longer in spam territory.

All of us who feel like taking a crack at logos could start our own threads.

Likewise, some enterprising mod / (or member) could sift through the p2 spam and put together all the serious suggestions/conciderations... so we can have everything usefull all in one place.

Just a quick idea for the logo:

I know there is no theme to it other than a play on the 'box' motif, that will also link this device to it's predecessor... 

My objective? To make it as simple and striking as possible.

(It looks great even as a tiny icon for I.e. the start menu)

What I like about it? It's a fractal system, The center box is clearly visible even though it's nothing but empty space - I.e. Pure Potential!

It's radiant. Many shapes can be formed from this structure.

This would make a potent symbol for the device because not only does it tie-in with the Pandora logo in a way... this logo is also completely in-line with sacred geometry.

In fact - the geometric structure of space itself can be mapped on this logo.

Ok... that's probably too much information, but keep looking at it for a while... it simple, elegant, powerful...

Pyragon01.jpg
I really like that :)

Nice logo, as long as nobody thinks its too close to the gamecube one...

Pyragon does indeed have two possible pronunciations in English (Peer-agon and Pie-ragon), but in most other languages (at least German, Dutch, French) I think its pronunciation is not ambiguous.

Ambiguous pronunciations didn't stop GNU and Linux from becoming popular either by the way ;)

I dislike Pyragon.

but in most other languages (at least German, Dutch, French) I think its pronunciation is not ambiguous
Which one is it in those languages? Peer or Pie?

I dislike Pyragon.

but in most other languages (at least German, Dutch, French) I think its pronunciation is not ambiguous
In German it's neither.

The pronounciation does not even exist in English, because it's "Pü" and may be the same in Latin and old Greek.

Great minds think alike. ;)

Would love to see what you have there...
Basically the same hexagonal shape you have with the dark edge parts, a less pronounced inner hexagon and a small hexagonal dot in the center to show the pyramid tops and box corner. It's just a penned doodle, yours is much better :p
In German it's neither.

The pronounciation does not even exist in English, because it's "Pü" and may be the same in Latin and old Greek.
Same in finnish, btw.

Nice logo, as long as nobody thinks its too close to the gamecube one...
TBH, it was the first thing I saw within that logo.

-----

I agree with pmprog.

Pyragon doesn't feel "comfortable" (don't know how to explain that better). 

Maybe because a pokemon has almost the same name, or because in french it sounds bad (IMO).

Let's search something else… (still think Myriad would be a good choice, around here myriad doesn't sound at all like myriam [and I know a few myriam that aren't dull at all if you know what I mean *wink* *wink*])

I don't know … NCom : Nano Computer (reference with no subtlety to Tron's Encom :p )

Pyragon is neat.

And FaeMinx logo is also nice.

In German it's neither.

So it potentially can be called three different names, so much for unambiguous.
How about:

MUPOD (Multi-Use POrtable Device)

PoLiBox (Pocket Linux Box)

pmprog: Within a language, save for english, it so far seems to be unambiguous. Between languages I'd wager you simply can't find a name that would be pronounced the same.

pmprog: Within a language, save for english, it so far seems to be unambiguous. Between languages I'd wager you simply can't find a name that would be pronounced the same.
Not sure I agree with that. Pandora seems pretty consistant, I imagine DraStic, DOSBox, Gameboy, Dragon all have a consistant pronunciation (even if they have minor accent inflections).
Either way, I still dislike Pyragon. That said, it's not my choice...

Back