Finding a proper name and logo :)

How about Sangreal?

it's old french for "holy grail", it's kinda plays on the pandora's box as a inanimate object with supernatural forces tied to it.

hopefully this is the "emulation holy grail" that the pandora has been commonly nicknamed in the past

EDIT: another concept art

Untitled3_zps14d1eba0.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice logo SNES! Lots of very nice names in this thread. I like a lot of them, even Elvis Piss ;)

ED requested a name that is available for most top level domains though + not too much google hits and I am not sure if everyone realizes that. 

Name should also be pretty easy to remember. I think that is one of the best advantages of dragonbox. You see it once and I am sure most folks will remember it a day later. Certainly when you have a good logo that gives you an additional mental picture.

I agree dragonbox is not very mysterious, fancy or even interesting but it does the job. I then thought about using EDs P1 => P2 approach. No radical changes, same concept but improved.

So my day's suggestion ( © vcoleiro ) is pandopyx

Pretty easy to remember - not as good as dragonbox though but only 2 hits on google! and all toplevel domains available.

There is also a 'story' with a happy end :)

Pando - open - unfold  

Verb

present active pandō, present infinitive pandere, perfect active pandī, supine passum

1. I spread or open (out), extend
  2. I unfold or expand
pyx

pyxis [ˈpɪksɪs]n pl pyxides [ˈpɪksɪˌdiːz]

1. (Historical Terms) a small box used by the ancient Greeks and Romans to hold medicines, etc.

2. (Christianity / Ecclesiastical Terms) (Economics, Accounting & Finance / Banking & Finance) a rare word for pyx

3. (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Botany) another name for pyxidium

Not 100% accurate, but with a bit of imagination you could say pandopyx = openbox

Interesting. I first read it as pando-pyx like you're suggesting but corrected myself immediately and thought it must be pronounced pand-opyx (like oryx, but with a P). Not sure having a word where it's not obvious how to pronounce it is a great idea.

Dragonfly edge.

Dragonfly one.

Dragonfire is good.. real good.

(+1 for Dr.Who Reference)

How about Sangreal?

it's old french for "holy grail", it's kinda plays on the pandora's box as a inanimate object with supernatural forces tied to it.

hopefully this is the "emulation holy grail" that the pandora has been commonly nicknamed in the past

EDIT: another concept art

Untitled3_zps14d1eba0.png
Domain is already in use: http://sangreal.org/?hg=0&nr=0

Also for Dragonfire

Just a quick info:

Please also check that the main domains are still available (like .de, .org, .com)

It won't help much if we cannot get the domains ;)
Not to derail this brainstorming session by overstating the obvious but...

Call the overall device (clamshell handheld computer), "The DragonBox".

You already own the domain.

Different models of the DragonBox could be readily distinguishable by having each edition be a different color.

Green DragonBox - Beta testing & developer gear. Pre-general release. Sell a dozen or so on Ebay to the highest bidders.

Red DragonBox - First general release. Sell them via auction (Ebay) for the first 200 or so with 10 auctions concluding daily for 20 days.

Blue DragonBox - Mainstream release. Set a price and allow open ordering at the DragonBox shop. This is the first unit that can get stocked and ordered by sales channels in the USA, France and Japan.

This leaves lots of colors (models) to move to as time goes on. Updated SoC, memory or whatever can be added and a new colored DragonBox produced to go with it.

Grench, I like your idea... except for one thing.

When it comes to electronic gadgets, I like black, white or grey. I certainly wouldn't want a green, red, or blue device... I would be rather put out if a version of the device came out that I wanted but it came in a colour I didn't like.

By all means offer special edition coloured devices - but I think different versions should be differentiated by a simple sticker inside the battery compartment.

When it comes to electronic gadgets, I like black, white or grey. I certainly wouldn't want a green, red, or blue device... I would be rather put out if a version of the device came out that I wanted but it came in a colour I didn't like.

By all means offer special edition coloured devices - but I think different versions should be differentiated by a simple sticker inside the battery compartment.
OK - then have it on the sticker and two options for colors?

Give a choice between 'Blue DragonBox in blue' and 'Blue DragonBox in black'.

Give black case as an option regardless of the 'version'. Heck, he could even charge $10 extra for the non-black version matching casing.

OK - then have it on the sticker and two options for colors?

Give a choice between 'Blue DragonBox in blue' and 'Blue DragonBox in black'.

Give black case as an option regardless of the 'version'. Heck, he could even charge $10 extra for the non-black version matching casing.
Sounds good to me.

I think it's a bad idea to name the device DragonBox on its own for the simple reason that the name is already in use for ED's shop.  

It does make sense to me to combine it with another name as Brand+product (e.g DragonBox Myriad or DragonBox Pyragon as suggested earlier)  but I wouldn't choose colours to be the second word - Nintendo has been there, done that, and frankly it's gotten old.

- Neelix

FireBox

DrakenBox

Drakonia

DrakoniaBox

Dragonfire

Firedragon

FiredradonBox

Dragonflame

DragonflameBox

Draco

Dracon