Finding a proper name and logo :)

Open Andora

Tried to squeeze an Android reference in... Now looks like Open Pandora with the P chopped off.

Ha!

OpenPlatypus

Because you can  play  and type on it .

The logo would have to incorporate a stylized - you guessed it - platypus. Our very own mascot, like Tux.

The logo would have to incorporate a stylized - you guessed it - platypus. Our very own mascot, like Tux.
a-zookeeper-cradles-a-platypus-as-part-jason-edwards.jpg

Will he be able to destroy the annoying paperclip and search dog?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's a bad idea to name the device DragonBox on its own for the simple reason that the name is already in use for ED's shop.  

It does make sense to me to combine it with another name as Brand+product (e.g DragonBox Myriad or DragonBox Pyragon as suggested earlier)  but I wouldn't choose colours to be the second word - Nintendo has been there, done that, and frankly it's gotten old.

- Neelix
Hmm.. I see calling it DragonBox and having that as the name of Ed's shop to be a great co-alignment.

I don't think Nintendo's use of colors ruins the idea. They simply put a different case color on the same console and tried to re-sell it to existing customers. It was more than a bit disingenuous.

The association of colors & dragons goes back to old school P&P D&D games - which gave rise to some of the earliest video games (text based MUDs and the like). Think of it as a meta-retro-gaming reference.

This idea for Pandora successor naming is based on the idea of having different color-named versions having actual hardware & release differences. Once the initial 'mainstream release' color is released, it could be a couple of years before an SoC or other hardware change would dictate another set of colors - alpha, beta, release. Then the 'color' would remain stable again for a few years.

The actual case color could always be black (or whatever) - regardless of the release color name.

Pyragon is also nice because it resembles the word paragon, which is very appropriate:

Noun
paragon (plural paragons)

1. A person of preeminent qualities, who acts as a pattern or model of some given (especially positive) quality. [from 16th c.]

In the novel, Constanza is a paragon of virtue who would never compromise her reputation.
     [quotations ▼]
  2. (obsolete) A companion; a match; an equal. [16th-19th c.]  

Verb
paragon (third-person singular simple present paragons, present participle paragoning, simple past and past participle paragoned)

1. To compare; to parallel; to put in rivalry or emulation with.
  2. To compare with; to equal; to rival.
  3. To serve as a model for; to surpass.
  4. To be equal; to hold comparison.

^I'm loving that name too.

So, what logo would be suitable for that?

A polygon that's on fire? (Pyro+polygon)

PS: Pyra's a iffy word, I think there was a company named pyra that was bought by google.

Pyragon is a nice name. Unfortunately .com and .de are already claimed.

94000 hits on google is not too bad. Pandora had a much worse starting point..

Ha!

OpenPlatypus

Because you can  play  and type on it .

Unfortunately it's already used (unofficially) by DarwinOS... but I'm not too sure that OS (at least OpenDarwin - the other one is still the base for OSX) is still alive. So maybe we're lucky. I really like the idea!

http://www.hexley.com/

What's wrong with pyragon-handheld.de ?
Nothing wrong with it, but it would be better to have the name of the device without extras as a url. Pyragon.de is for sale though so depending on the pricetag that still might be an option.  

Just a quick drawing of the logo of pandopyx that I mentioned yesterday. Pandopyx = openbox. Just like the name a minor adjustment of the current logo.  

pand_02.png

Funny thing is that pandopyx now has 3 hits on google and the no.1 hit is directing to this thread! Ha! :)

Hexan 

QubicDrive

PocketLynx

Lynx III , Lynx X-> Atari Lynx naming tradition

Panther? -> Atari Jaguar follow up :D

OpenDevice

Not Panther... it's the official heraldic animal of Ingolstadt (which is where OpenPandora headquarters are ;) )

Does someone want to go through the thread and make a collection of the useful names we found so far?

Back