Get ready to rumble!

Heh, I don't get excited about much these days. Gotta have something!

It's all good. I would be right there with you if I hadn't been down that road once before. At least your getting to do it along aside a pretty "solid" looking piece of tech. Although I'm not saying the Pandora was bad, as it was rather Awesome when everything is said and done, but the Pyra sure does look better in every way, shape and form.

Chris

I am super excited. I'd love to be able to replace my Android smartphone eventually, or at least use the android phone just as a wireless hotspot, so I can use VPN on Pyra and get some privacy back.

You only need your smartphone then tho shoot photos, because there are Pyras who have a 3G Modul for Wireless Internet Surving..
I think i will make Photos whit the Ipod Touch, and replace my Note 2 whit the Pyra, but im not that sure until yet, so i will get me a 3G Pyra, i can use the 3G somethimes, but it ditnt harm if its onboard but not beeing used..

Dang :( I missed my chance at preordering a 3G/4G model...dang I guess I will have to wait until later.
FWIW, there were no specific models up for prepreordering in this round - this was just putting down some money to reserve your space.  You'll be able to preorder a device at the same time as the rest of us, when preorders open, just that the earliest unit you'll be able to order by the looks of it is the 201st produced retail unit.

Your guess is as good as mine how long it will take to produce the first 200 units, and get on to the non-pre-booked preorders.  But you shouldn't miss much, I suspect.

The Pyra may be more successful than the pandora ever was.

I don't want to jinx the project, but just these preliminary Pyra efforts are better than almost the Pandora's whole life(at least until ED took over). As long as the Pyra doesn't run in to any serious defects or production issues down the road, I would guarantee the first 6-12 months alone should eclipse the Pandora.Chris
I think so too - the investment spent on better design and thinking everything through should pay off in terms of user acceptance in the end - and hopefully financially as well for ED so that we can see more developments in the future too. 
Yes, ed will certainly do a better job than Craig ever did. Crucially he's much better at customer relations and upfront about everything. The pyra's daughterboard is a good failsafe device for the future, and presumably not too expensive to upgrade.

Because it's based on Debian, there will be some ways in which the initial Pyra software stack is more complete than the Pandora one is even now. However, for the primary uses it will take some time to catch up to the Pandora. I suspect it will progress significantly faster than the Pandora did because of the experienced community involved and more advanced starting places for the software (that is, it will be easier to port software to the Pyra that's already been ported to the Pandora than it was to port the original software to the Pandora), but it will still take a while. The toughest part will be getting all the drivers working properly.

Is there any way to pre-order without necessarily needing one of the first 200, or should I just pre-order one of those?

Is there any way to pre-order without necessarily needing one of the first 200, or should I just pre-order one of those?

These 200 are gone already. The regular preorders will begin with the first working prototype.

Damn I arrived too late. Congrats to the lucky 200. I will just have to jump on the normal pre order train.  Oh well I still have my first batch Pandora to play with :)

The pre-preorders won't get the units a lot faster than the normal preorders (maybe 1 - 2 weeks), and the preorder will not be be limited, so no worries.

So on the offizially preeorder day, do whe prepreorderers anything, or how dos this works now??

Or do we order a Pyra when its ready to ship whit this voucher??

Its a bit diverent from the Pandora Preorder..

But mybe its enought time until then to explain..

You received a discount code in your email, if you bought a pre-pre-order.  I assume you'll be able to enter that in either as a voucher code or something else when you purchase the pre-order on Dragonbox (or Ithic, perhaps, dunno) so that the actual money you pay at that point is less the 290EUR you've already paid.

Yes, it's different from the Pandora preorder, where craig made up a number which was massively under the actual cost of producing a unit (especially after a few of the problems in production he had), then couldn't afford to supply them at that cost and panicked. Thankfully different.

Dang :( I missed my chance at preordering a 3G/4G model...dang I guess I will have to wait until later.
FWIW, there were no specific models up for prepreordering in this round - this was just putting down some money to reserve your space.  You'll be able to preorder a device at the same time as the rest of us, when preorders open, just that the earliest unit you'll be able to order by the looks of it is the 201st produced retail unit.

Your guess is as good as mine how long it will take to produce the first 200 units, and get on to the non-pre-booked preorders.  But you shouldn't miss much, I suspect.
So if I preorder now, I should be able to choose which model I want? Even if I select the non 3g/4g model?

So if I preorder now, I should be able to choose which model I want? Even if I select the non 3g/4g model?
Last time I checked, you weren't able to preorder anything at the moment. The preorder items are up on the shop, but out of stock - they're only there so you can sign up to be notified when they're available (and for that purpose, it shouldn't matter which one you pick, as both the 3/4G and Wifi only models will probably come up for preorder at more or less the same time).

Last time I checked, you weren't able to preorder anything at the moment. The preorder items are up on the shop, but out of stock - they're only there so you can sign up to be notified when they're available (and for that purpose, it shouldn't matter which one you pick, as both the 3/4G and Wifi only models will probably come up for preorder at more or less the same time).
Alright, thanks for letting me know. It is a shame I missed out on the 200 club though...

Man ED should just open up regular preorders...sounds like a lot of people (myself included) would jump on it.

Back