Gmenu2x V0.8 Released

Ryo posted on Dec 9 2006 at 03:25 PM said:
2. Text manuals.
This is a manual written in simple text with a special syntax to define multiple pages.
Define a page by writing it's title in square brackets and the text under it.
No limit for the number of the pages.
To be recognized the name must be "nameofgpe.man.txt"

very cool, thanks for the update!!!

however, there is a bug with text manuals: if you are switching between pages, each page does not have it's own position, so it's possible to scroll very far down on one page, switch to the next page, and it will appear blank.

i suggest that each page have it's own position OR switching pages always starts the user reading at the top.

edit: i noticed that old links must be re-created for the man/readme blinking icon to show up, that's a little janky but i'm not sure the best thing to do about it ... check for a readme.txt every time a link is highlighted? or a flag in the config for version, where running a config with an older version that the current one will search for the man/readme of every link that already exists?

also, would it be possible to have gMenu run in the background of any application you are running and take over when a certain button combination is pressed? this would allow for gMenu to display the help file for a program that is running! would be very useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
starpause posted on Dec 12 2006 at 10:44 PM said:
however, there is a bug with text manuals: if you are switching between pages, each page does not have it's own position, so it's possible to scroll very far down on one page, switch to the next page, and it will appear blank.
Don't worry starpause, I pointed this out to Ryo ealier on today & he's on it :)

EDIT: It should be easy enough for the devs to view the manuals from within the programs they make too (if they want). Having Gmenu2X running in the background would slow the programmes down :( Good idea though :)

Damn, where'd Ryo get those transparent system icons? Did someone use Troy The Great's pack to make transparent ones?

I tried to do it myself but they sucked

johnz1 posted on Dec 13 2006 at 01:40 AM said:
Damn, where'd Ryo get those transparent system icons? Did someone use Troy The Great's pack to make transparent ones?

I tried to do it myself but they sucked
Can't you do that by turning the icon into a brush & then just bringing the transparency down a touch?

I could, if i was any good at photoshop. Unfortunately for me, I am not so it would be a lot easier to get them from someone else.
Please?

johnz1 posted on Dec 12 2006 at 09:57 PM said:
I could, if i was any good at photoshop. Unfortunately for me, I am not so it would be a lot easier to get them from someone else.
Please?

Send me a PM with your e-mail addy ... I have a bunch I made ... waitaminnit! Hang on a sec ...

I made a topic some time ago:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=31097

I don't know what happened to the Intellivision one, but there they are.

Thanks for those, they're real nice.

Sorry to be picky, but what about the transparent ones Ryo uses in the screenshot?

THANKS

I made those after some icons posted on this board. I removed the white background and added a nifty semi-transparent shadow ;)

I could post them in one of the icons threads when I have a little time.

The page issue with text manuals has already been fixed in the development tree, but I won't release another version just for that one.

Make gmenu2x check for manuals everytime would slow down the startup process cause it won't just simply search for a readme.txt, it's a little more complex than that. So it's out of the question.
You can manually point gmenu2x to the readme by editing the link though.

Hey Ryo

Been playing with the newest version, and I've been noticing a regular screen glitch, which makes the display flicker every few moments. I hadn't noticed it before.

It's no big deal, it certainly doeasn't affect the functionality, just thought I'd let you know as my other GP2X apps don't display it.

Great project though, I'm very impressed with your enthusiasm and frequent updates!

®

Shirohagen posted on Dec 13 2006 at 10:35 AM said:
Been playing with the newest version, and I've been noticing a regular screen glitch, which makes the display flicker every few moments. I hadn't noticed it before.
I noticed that myself yesterday, but I thought it was down to my 2x.
Glad to know it wasn't ;)

I'm taking into consideration the possibility of switching to sqlite for holding sections and links, that would have a lot of nice points.

1. It would be pretty easy to add sections and links rearrangement (just a query with a ORDER BY on an 'order' field and that's it!)

2. Some really annoying and almost unremovable bugs will be gone.
e.g. gp2x mounts the fat partition of the sd so that short names of files and folders are displayed all lowercase even if you try creating them with uppercase letters, it should be fixable by mounting the sd with the option "shortname=winnt" but this requires changing a file on the nand (the nand area used by the firmware) and it's out of the question. so sections with short names (8.3) cannot use uppercase letters.

3. Possibility of other features powered by the SQL language, such as search and other possibilities for me at code level.

The counter effect would be that users could not write the links by hand (I don't know if anyone relies on that) and it would be harder for me to upgrade new version of gmenu2x if I change the database structure (but that's something I could handle)

It would also add another dependency on gmenu2x and I don't know if it will affect it's performances in any way, but I can only know by trying..

I would like to hear comments, if you find this a good or a bad idea, and why.

Ryo posted on Dec 13 2006 at 11:50 AM said:
I would like to hear comments, if you find this a good or a bad idea, and why.
I don't know enough about that stuff to say if it's a good idea or not in all honesty Ryo.

Just wondering though.. would the package manager that Orkies working on still be able to install it, update it, add icons when installing programs etc.?

Wow, thanks for this. I just bought a GP2X and was unimpressed with the default menu. This is a major improvement!

Uh, I forgot one feature that I (and maybe some others ) could need: the option, to activate the better RAM-TIMINGS for each Link in Gmenu if wished. (Yes, old request)
So I dont need to make seperate config-Files for Applications without internal RAM-Tweaks. (gngeo, Quake, Duke...)
Just in the Link-Options Menu an simple "on/off" switch for this Feature. Maybe via config-File more detailed specified how much the RAM is tweaked.

I want it for every link seperatly (and not an easier global RAM setting which could be made without Gmenu) because not every App takes Advantages of this Feature AND (belive me ;) ) faster RAM eats Batteries faster too.

With this little Feature I would be more happy with the already happy little Gmenu. :)

Would it be possible to create a simple SDL app to create links on a PC? If so, then not being able to write links by hand isn't a problem even if people do tend to do so.

If not... well, I persaonlly don't see myself hand writing links, but hand editing...? Perhaps. Lots of fields on an autodetect that there's no way I'd spend the time on filling in, but maybe would on a PC later on...

Tobriand posted on Dec 16 2006 at 08:24 PM said:
Would it be possible to create a simple SDL app to create links on a PC? If so, then not being able to write links by hand isn't a problem even if people do tend to do so.

If not... well, I persaonlly don't see myself hand writing links, but hand editing...? Perhaps. Lots of fields on an autodetect that there's no way I'd spend the time on filling in, but maybe would on a PC later on...

There's no need to write it in SDL, I could do a little QT app to do that, It would be cross-platform and I could devel it in very littel time.

Back