Gp2x Vs Psp Emulation As Of Now...

I can't see one possible homebrew or emulation application that would be better on the PSP.
PSX, GBA, NeoGeo, CPS1 and 2, SNES, NES, PC Engine, Megadrive is about the same.. and those are just the ones I've tried so far.

Too bad they all look like crap all blurred out on that ghosty mess of a screen that makes the LCD response time on the original monochrome Gameboy look fast ;) and that is before you add the stretching and filtering to blurr it out even more making it look blurry moving or not. That makes all of those emus worse no matter if they are faster or not (unless you are one of the few that has the magic non-ghosting version) . The only emu I could see me using on PSP would be PSX.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, and the PSP community forums are sad at best.
What drives me nuts is when some news is posted on a PSP site and some dick proudly boasts that they are the first poster in the comments section.

DaveC posted on Feb 1 2007 at 05:06 AM said:
... and that is before you add the stretching and filtering to blurr it out even more making it look blurry moving or not.
I'm not a fan of the blurry screen but I find that some emulators don't suffer too badly from the bilinear filtering. I like maximizing the screen size but I also keep the aspect ratio of he original. Many PSP emus will allow you to do this.

I've only rarely seen ghosting get bad enough to affect my enjoyment, and that was during movie playback. I'm not sure if it's to do with hardware differences between old and recent models or just perception but I just don't see it as a big problem.

subcon959 posted on Feb 1 2007 at 10:49 PM said:
I've only rarely seen ghosting get bad enough to affect my enjoyment, and that was during movie playback. I'm not sure if it's to do with hardware differences between old and recent models or just perception but I just don't see it as a big problem.

Yeah, the one I had was a JAP release sold to the previous owner before the release on the console into the western world.

So, maybe there is a difference and the screen kicks arse now.

I own GP2X and bought PSP recently...

Brief comparision:

NES: PSP wins (nnesterj 1.20, wifi play, various screen modes, fast). gp2x nes-fce emu is hmm... dead?

SNES: PSP barely wins (snes tyl ME, 60fps 0fs at 300mhz, excellent interface, screen modes, transparencies, superior sound BUT in many games screen blur and trails are destroying the gameplay. gp2x emu isn't so good, but screen is superior in that case.

SMD/GENESIS: GP2X wins (nothing can compare with newest dual-core Picodrive on razor-sharp 320x240 screen)

MAME: GP2X wins clearly, gp2x mame is best portable port available at all... PSP port is nothing compared to gp2x port

CPS1: PSP wins (cps1 1.65) 60fps 0fs in almost all cases with 266mhz, in this emu trails are barely noticeable, there is a lot better sound (perfect) and cps1 screen looks on psp lcd simply wonderful (even widescreen) gp2x cps-1 emu is done by MAME although it's good and reliable - PSP emu is simply better

CPS2: PSP wins - (cps2 1.66) the same, gp2x has 64mb ram but psp starts roms quicker and its emu is imho better

NEO-GEO - didn't tested yet

C64 - GP2X wins with VICE. On demos gp2x emu clocked at 250mhz is about 3-4 times faster than VICE on PSP clocked at 333mhz. Also - sound on gp2x is better.

AMIGA - GP2X wins (UAE4ALL runs actually quite good), psp amiga emu is still inferior

PSX - case closed, PSP wins all the way (it can play some n64 games, too)

PC-Engine - didn't tested yet

Total:
GP2X - 4 wins, PSP - 5 wins

I'm not a psp fanboy. After a week of testing it seems to me that for emulation SONY's toy is better than our beloved GP2X... (yeah - PSP doesn't have emu soul) ;) Even so blamed 1800mAh PSP battery pack lasts approx 2x longer than gp2x on 2xaa's

Well it wins on the emulators you have chosen to compare... why didn't you try neogeo? That's a pretty big one and the GP2X has the correct resolution.

I own GP2X and have a PSP

Brief comparision:

NES:GP2X wins, PSP screen is too ghosty and filter blurry.
SNES: GP2X wins, PSP screen is too ghosty and filter blurry..
SMD/GENESIS: GP2X wins, PSP screen is too ghosty and filter blurry.
MAME: GP2X wins, PSP screen is too ghosty and filter blurry, bad emulation.
CPS1: GP2X will win when an emu is released, PSP screen is too ghosty and filter blurry.
CPS2: GP2X wins, PSP screen is too ghosty and filter blurry.
NEO-GEO GP2X wins, PSP screen is too ghosty and filter blurry.
C64 GP2X wins, PSP screen is too ghosty and filter blurry.
AMIGA GP2X wins, PSP screen is too ghosty and filter blurry.
PSX - PSP wins, even though PSP screen is too ghosty and filter blurry.
PC-Engine GP2X wins even with bad sound, PSP screen is too ghosty and filter blurry.

Total:
GP2X - 10 wins, PSP - 1 wins
I'm not a GP2X fanboy. After a week of testing it seems to me that for emulation SONY's toy has a slow crappy screen with wrong resolution than our beloved GP2X... (plus - PSP doesn't have emu soul) ;) Even so blamed 1800mAh PSP battery pack lasts approx 2x longer than gp2x on 2xaa's if you use crap batteries

So there you have it, the gavel falls, case fuckin' closed!
:p :p

(for those with "slow CPUs" this is meant as a joke, don't get your panties in a bunch)

DaveC posted on Feb 1 2007 at 06:35 PM said:
I own GP2X and have a PSP

Brief comparision:

NES:GP2X wins, PSP screen is too ghosty and filter blurry.
SNES: GP2X wins, PSP screen is too ghosty and filter blurry..
SMD/GENESIS: GP2X wins, PSP screen is too ghosty and filter blurry.
MAME: GP2X wins, PSP screen is too ghosty and filter blurry, bad emulation.
CPS1: GP2X will win when an emu is released, PSP screen is too ghosty and filter blurry.
CPS2: GP2X wins, PSP screen is too ghosty and filter blurry.
NEO-GEO GP2X wins, PSP screen is too ghosty and filter blurry.
C64 GP2X wins, PSP screen is too ghosty and filter blurry.
AMIGA GP2X wins, PSP screen is too ghosty and filter blurry.
PSX - PSP wins, even though PSP screen is too ghosty and filter blurry.
PC-Engine GP2X wins even with bad sound, PSP screen is too ghosty and filter blurry.

Total:
GP2X - 10 wins, PSP - 1 wins

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Damn. The gp2x hasn't even been out for two years and already i'm wishing for the gp3x. All this depressing talk is preventing me from fully enjoying the new cps2 emulator.

I wish people would stop speculating about the gp3x quite honestly. It isn't going to happen too quickly. Sure, the gp2x has flaws, but any hardware does... in the meantime, let's dev the gp2x as much as possible and not wait for some magical next-gen device.

oh im not speculating... i was cursing myself for being such a dumbass that I would want a new version of something a year and a half after the release of the original (hence the "damn")

The GP3X won't do CPS2 any better, since it's already essentially full speed now (and JyCet just nabbed another 10FPS with the ram timing hack). Ditto with most of what the GP2X can do. So why pine for the future when you can enjoy everything now? That's my motto :)

neogeo is 100% perfect on psp, and has wifi ability.

DaveC, I know you have a point with the quality of the screen. And it's easy for us to say that, but what about all the folks saying that the psp screen is the awesome? It's probably the only handheld they've played emus on, and have nothing to compare it too. Sure we can tell the difference since we own a gp2x and have been able to at least see someone else's psp. But maybe it's time for a very in depth comparison of the two with high quality video, and images to show the differences between the screens, and also just the hardware. So when someone talks all big about their sick psp, I could drop a link and the argument is over.

We all know that the gp2x was never meant to compete with the psp, but with emu's on psp getting very popular with the kids today, It would really help to be able to give someone more than what they can perceive as simply an opinion, but hard facts and proof. I'd like to see psp as an emu machine get a reality check since I'm not a fan of a sony system taking the market away from a very progressive open source system.

well that's what I think anyway.

craigix posted on Feb 2 2007 at 12:02 AM said:
Well it wins on the emulators you have chosen to compare... why didn't you try neogeo? That's a pretty big one and the GP2X has the correct resolution.
NJ's emulator is awesome and I think it edge's ahead here too.

For me the GP2x's forté is proper retro such as MAME. I'd rather see more work done on this sort of emulator than anything else.

GunPei2X posted on Feb 1 2007 at 05:20 PM said:
The GP3X won't do CPS2 any better, since it's already essentially full speed now (and JyCet just nabbed another 10FPS with the ram timing hack). Ditto with most of what the GP2X can do. So why pine for the future when you can enjoy everything now? That's my motto :)
You misinterpreted what I said. I was saying that because there was so much talk of the gp2x's development stopping and the psp being better etc. it was making me look at my gp2x in a bad light even though the great emulator has just been fully optimized. That's why it was preventing me from enjoying it because people were making me think about what I didn't have and it made me forget what I do have.

kingbuzzo posted on Feb 1 2007 at 08:39 PM said:
We all know that the gp2x was never meant to compete with the psp, but with emu's on psp getting very popular with the kids today, It would really help to be able to give someone more than what they can perceive as simply an opinion, but hard facts and proof. I'd like to see psp as an emu machine get a reality check since I'm not a fan of a sony system taking the market away from a very progressive open source system.

But "Which system is better" is always going to be a matter of opinion. I'm in the camp of pro-1:1 video emulation, anti-Sony, pro-open source, pro-free (as in beer) software, pro-free (as in freedom) software, anti-blurring, etc. However, those are all just opinions.

Less filling. Tastes great. Whatever.

I just started emulation on the PSP (thanks 3.03 downgrader :)) so I don't have too much to add, but the PSX emulation on there is great :) I never had one of these machines so there's lots to try out. The lcd lag/redshift thing is pretty noticable, but it's the same way with PSP games. If you take the PSP screen into account you can pick a pallet that doesn't blur so much. It seems like later games have been doing this.

I was expecting SNES to be perfect and blow me away the way I was reading about it at some point, but it seems pretty similar to what we've got on the ol' 2X.

subcon959 posted on Feb 2 2007 at 02:43 AM said:

For me the GP2x's forté is proper retro such as MAME. I'd rather see more work done on this sort of emulator than anything else.

Huh? NeoGeo is fullspeed with sound for me on the gp2x... what could be better on the PSP?

Last edited:
EvilDragon posted on Feb 2 2007 at 02:48 AM said:
subcon959 posted on Feb 2 2007 at 02:43 AM said:

Huh? NeoGeo is fullspeed with sound for me on the gp2x... what could be better on the PSP?

Don't forget the source code is available for NJ's NeoGeo emu. If that was ported to the GP2X like NJ's CPS2 emu was it would be even better than the PSP. It would be just as smooth and lack the ghosting and filter blurr of the PSP. Now all that has to happen is someone port it. Maybe Ell or someone else could do it.

Really I think all 2D systems are or can be better on the GP2X (even GBA). The only one that will always be better on PSP is PSX due to 3D and Mips.

Back