Here Is What Will Be Happening.

Nova said:
purplesky said:
...The crack is there because they have messed up the mould...
It's only a possibility
I don't think so. If you have such damage on "final" product, there must be something really wrong with mould. And PURPLESKY stayed that he works about 9 year in moulding related job

Last edited by a moderator:
Send me a ruff one i really don't care. I'll just get a new case at some point down the line. Thought the chinese said we'd be really happy with this case because they'd nailed down the finishing process? I'm sure i read it somewhere, could be wrong but anyway just send me a pandora, flaws and all. Better hold off sending one to "The Gadget Show" though, lol :)

peca said:
I don't think so. If you have such damage on "final" product, there must be something really wrong with mould. And PURPLESKY stayed that he works about 9 year in moulding related job

Would be nice if he let us in on his 'knowledge' and explains why the mold is causing the crack and why that can't be fixed. Until then I consider his comments unreliable and trolling.

b_o_b said:
peca said:

Would be nice if he let us in on his 'knowledge' and explains why the mold is causing the crack and why that can't be fixed. Until then I consider his comments unreliable and trolling.
^this. Thank you.

MWeston said:
EDIT: Two more pages were written since typing this. Ah yes, the hinge area. There are clips in that area that hold the two halves tightly together and they screwed up somehow. On this revision, the recessed spots for the clips to sit in got completely evacuated and there are holes right through the case. They didn't do this on rev2. Rev2 just had roughness on the bottom edges of these parts and not the destruction of the clip channels like this time.

I'm guessing molds can't be repaired if they trim too far on something, it's the nature of the things. This information by Mweston could be enough for someone that has been in the field to make an educated guess.

LOL you can have 50 years experience in whatever you want, but unless you are psychic nobody knows the cause of the hinge crack until somebody who was there tells us. It might be the mould, it might be something else. An educated guess is one thing, but don't go rumormilling around like it's fact... an educated guess is still a guess, and until we know for sure, causing more panic with knee-jerk reactions is not a smart idea at this time.

I am disappointed that MWeston didn't get cases that did justice to this awesome device, but I for one am not pissed off about it. I haven't been waiting as long as a lot of people here, but to me the plastic cover is unimportant completely in the light of the amazing things this device can do thanks to MWeston and Craig and ED and all the rest of the incredibly talented people that helped make this so awesome. It may sound a bit selfish, but I support whatever motion gets this thing in my hands as soon as possible. I doubt I'd even bother switching cases when a "perfect" one becomes available, even if the replacement was free.

To me this situation doesn't look that bad, if they go with something like 2000 current cases and 2000 waiting for "perfect" (on a volunteer basis of course) everyone gets what they want, and by the time the most patient among us get their Pandora the software will be much better thanks to those that had a month (or so) to play with theirs already.

So, if there's a way to make everyone happy, I vote go for it!

- trix

fischju2000 said:
I'm guessing molds can't be repaired if they trim too far on something, it's the nature of the things. This information by Mweston could be enough for someone that has been in the field to make an educated guess.
I don't know the terminology, so bear with me.
For those clip holes, there are plungers(?) on the other side of the tool that are controlled via hydraulics. They seem too have been too far out, so there are holes through the lid. The crack can be caused by a damaged surface of the mould, missing releasing agent or the piece being too long in the tool before opening.

edit:
I've checked the other pic of the backside of the lid. The crack is exactly where the lid is thinnest(to make room for the LCD ribbon), so this indicates that the crack isn't caused by a bad mould surface. It's likely, that the plungers(?) held the lid while the Auswerfer(ejector ?) did its job. If I could see the inside of the lid part, I could make a better guess. If there is an ejector mark near the crack, it would confirm my theory.

mali said:
Nova, better not hot-link MWestons photobucket. You could use links from here:
http://www.pandoratoday.de/

Better ist this one:
http://www.pandoratoday.de/hardware/gehause-fotos-so-nicht/

We have no traffic restriction so you can link directly to my website ;)

It's fine, I've linked from my site now.

purplesky said:
The hinge crack is not down to bad packaging. The factory have made an irreversible mistake so when it's tighened up it cracks. It can't be fixed. You can only start again.

How would you know this without seeing the case for real, And actually screw both parts together to see the results ?.

purplesky said:
Did it take so long to get the 3rd revision pics up on photobucket because OP were shocked when they opened the package? Maybe.

More speculation, Please stop trolling.

Trooper

can we choose to wait for a perfect case as an individual even if the majority vote for shipping it when not perfect? after this long, i'd rather just wait.

Monk said:
fusion_power said:
Of course, you should never pay BEFORE you get any Result ;)
At least not to pay the whole summ so if they mess it up, they don't get the rest of the money. If they don't follow the rules, you have every excuse not to do so too. ^^

Most of us have paid in full for our Pandoras :(
Me too ;)
I spoke about large "Company-level" of payment/contracts. Sorry if this was not clear. ^^""

trix said:
if they go with something like 2000 current cases and 2000 waiting for "perfect" (on a volunteer basis of course) everyone gets what they want

I've seen a lot of numbers like 500, 1000, 2000, and so on but in my opinion the best way to do this has already been suggested: e-mail Every preorderer with the question of wait-or-not. Then those who say not can all get cases made immediately and those who want to wait or don't answer will get theirs later, regardless of how many people that is. (Mainly of course I say this because I don't want to wait but am almost certainly not in the first 500, 1000, or 2000 orders. I probably wouldn't even get a better case later, to me this is a pocket device and the exterior has only one important job: protect and hold together the interior. Silksceening however would be nice so I can see which LEDs are what, etc.)

chickendung said:
I don't think there is anything to worry about. I'll bet that the company decided to skip the refinement process(es) because they wanted to get the samples out as soon as possible. Maybe they didn't want to keep OP waiting for much longer.

The fact there is no silkscreening on this revision supports this theory.

Gilrad said:
chickendung said:
I don't think there is anything to worry about. I'll bet that the company decided to skip the refinement process(es) because they wanted to get the samples out as soon as possible. Maybe they didn't want to keep OP waiting for much longer.

The fact there is no silkscreening on this revision supports this theory.

Why the hell would they send out something that is not properly finished as a "finished" sample?

Then again, it seems like the kind of stupid thing they'd do.

fusion_power said:
Monk said:
fusion_power said:
Of course, you should never pay BEFORE you get any Result ;)
At least not to pay the whole summ so if they mess it up, they don't get the rest of the money. If they don't follow the rules, you have every excuse not to do so too. ^^

Most of us have paid in full for our Pandoras :(
Me too ;)
I spoke about large "Company-level" of payment/contracts. Sorry if this was not clear. ^^""

You were reasonably clear, I was just thinking that the general concept should hold true for individuals too - and of course OpenPandora are pretty much the size of individuals. They aren't even a medium-sized company. They're just these guys...

who don't tend to think of operating like a company. I think Craig said it best when he said soemthing like "This time next year, rodders...". Which, if you don't know the sitcom the phrase comes from, is about a family of "market traders" come con merchants who do their best to stitch up their punters and suppliers alike, "buy cheap and sell for high profit, and this next time next year Rodders - we'll be millionaires!" type of thing.

I think if this happened two months ago most people on these threads would have said wait, something has changed. I too would have said wait but I'm to the point where I'm leaning towards releasing it now rather than waiting for yet another revision that may or may not be better.

If the team does wait I think that if this happens again, i.e. sturdy case with a few cosmetic flaws, then the majority will make it clear to just release it. Before I felt there were the few impatient people that were freaking out but now a lot more people saying it's good enough for them and they would rather see a flawed release than wait for a better release at this point.

purplesky said:
Problem is, you're not going to get a better case from this company. Could give them 12 months and it wouldn't look much better i am afraid.
Much better to accept the case now. You can file and sand it on receipt ensuring all the port exits are square and tidy. Might have to use filler for the cracks and 'dents'. Then you can airbrush a paint of your colour choice finishing off with a nice lacquer.

:huh:

I'll wait, thx.

No point rushing it. This latest revision has flaws that need to be addressed. I think craig and co should consider the possibility that someone may have to be sent over there to motivate them.

Back