I Feel Down

Bosbeetle said:
Where are the twelve year old snotty nerds that start learning code and bringing out crappy games.
Sorry, I'm still waiting for my Pandora!

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
I can't really explain how seeing this after another 16 hour day makes me feel.
With all due respect for your feelings, but WHY ON EARTH don't you invest the daily 20 seconds that would be needed for an OFFICIAL statement of the sort, "Today we built X units, we shipped Y, and while we were at it, we fixed issue Z". If you are neither building nor shipping them, invest 20 seconds in communicating what you have done for 16 hours. Otherwise, how are we (with our limited understanding of the business) supposed to guess anything other than "Postman didn't come today. Checked e-mail, then scratched my balls for 15h59m".

Matthias_H said:
craigix said:
I can't really explain how seeing this after another 16 hour day makes me feel.
With all due respect for your feelings, but WHY ON EARTH don't you invest the daily 20 seconds that would be needed for an OFFICIAL statement of the sort, "Today we built X units, we shipped Y, and while we were at it, we fixed issue Z". If you are neither building nor shipping them, invest 20 seconds in communicating what you have done for 16 hours. Otherwise, how are we (with our limited understanding of the business) supposed to guess anything other than "Postman didn't come today. Checked e-mail, then scratched my balls for 15h59m".

ED already mentioned that craig was getting 400 lids ready, so they can be quick when the boards arrive on wednesday (probably) While ED himselfs was soldering 800 speakers to 400 lcd cables.

How is that to little info?

Wow, I took off for awhile due to the repetitiveness of posts, then came back thinking it would be different now that some Pandora's have started shipping. I should have known better.

It boils down to this, (as has been explained a gazillion times in a gazillion threads) the Pandora is not for everyone, if you have trouble figuring out why you'd prefer it over a netbook/psp/ipod/ipad/iphone/ihateapple/pc/ds/umpc/kindle/yourmom then it wasn't made for you. Go get the device that fits you better.

For the rest of us, the Pandora does exactly what we need it to do. Which, for me, is freaking everything. Granted, as I don't have mine quite yet, I am not qualified to say how well it meets my expectations, but if it can do what everyone who has one says it can, then I am more then satisfied with it.

In fact, ever since I learned about this project I have been using it as my inspiration to get my shit together and turn myself into a real programmer, instead of just an uneducated douche that can only bugfix other people's code and make noob stuff like console text games. In two more months(tm) I start my first semester of college with a whole bunch of programming related courses on the books, and intend to use those courses (C++, python, unix, some EE stuff, etc) to practice primarily on the Pandora. The Pandora is my inspiration, and I intend to make it my first milestone, to conquer it and unlock it's true potential while I get better and better at it. Also, I've never beaten Final Fantasy 1 with a party of 4 white mages.

People keep in mind that not even a quarter of the first batch has shipped yet. What you see as half assed (ps1, n64, etc) software support, is just the beginning! And, an AMAZING beginning!! People have busted there ass getting this thing in amazing shape, before most people that want one even have it! Just wait, thousands more will come out and will get to people, and lots of devs and aspiring devs, in fact MOST devs that want one, still do not have one. Who wants to code for something they don't even have? Have some goddamn patience!

I would bet my bank account that in 2 years these times with the Pandora will seem extremely primitive by comparison, I feel confident, with my experience with open source communities (I'm a huge linux/bsd nut), that what we have today where barely anyone even has a unit yet, that so much will change and improve that in even 5 years we wont consider the Pandora obsolete, but instead still be realizing just how incredible the potential really is!

All that and I'm not normally an optimistic person. To me it seems logical based on what I have seen of the trends in open source and consoles.

- trix

silverspring said:
It's quite simple in that humans like buying things, especially gadgets, but the love is soon lost. The Pandora to me was meant to be a device for playing retro games - it sort of got my interest back in the memories I have of the old days. Whilst following the Pandora, I hardly played old games on either the GP32 or PSP as I was saving the experience for the Pandora. But now when I play an old game, it's sort of like "bah, this game is not the way I remembered it. It was fun back then, now it's just bah". I suspect many people will feel the same.

Yeah that's exactly how I feel, but you know I discovered what is the "bah" factor for me, When I was a kid, and I was heavily into gaming, I used to play with my cousin, but now playing alone is not the same. Not only I'm older but also the way you used to play counts (all night, with a cousin/brother).

It is not the same, We all want to re-live, we all want the time to go back, but that never happens.

For anyone thinking of cancelling, have a long hard think first. I did. A LONG hard think, and it was a close run thing. If the Pandora ticks all your boxes then it's really worth waiting, so hang on in there... the O.P. Team WILL get there in time. If not, there are some other good choices out there to sate your appetite, and who knows, maybe later on you might come back to the Pandora when stock > orders?

I cancelled partly due to expected ship date for my Pandora, partly due to wife asking "has it shipped yet?" 7 months after she ordered it for me, and partly because I spotted something else that seemed to fit the bill a bit better for me right now.

I've always been a fan of Psion organisers, and hand-held computers in general. So the Pandora was a really exciting prospect.

Then by accident I saw the Viliv N5 and I decided that was more up my street. The amusing thing is, that to get a Viliv N5 I have to pre-order tomorrow, and the it 'should' ship July 19th. Part of my brain is laughing at me... saying, "Hahaha! Off one train and onto another, you silly boy!"
But hopefully it will arrive in time for my Birthday at the end of the month. Then of course my wife will want my Samsung NC10. ;)

Bosbeetle said:
On a lighter note we are all going to die sooner or later!

That is unbelievably macabre! Jesus man.

I bet you die before me.

SomeGuy99 said:
Bosbeetle said:

That is unbelievably macabre! Jesus man.

I bet you die before me.
I'll give Big Reg and One-Eyed Harry a call. We can make it happen.

Heh, you are all dead anyway. I might continue that philosophy thread next winter when I'm depressed enough for that stuff :D

Bosbeetle said:

I'm already dead :D

But yeah - give devs some time. Doing quick ports by simply recompiling will get something working. Takes a couple of hours (if there are no major problems), and you have the app or emulator.
Unoptimized, yeah. No really menus except for maybe the same clickable interfaces you have on the PC, sure.
But you HAVE something.
This is what we have in the archive right now.

On the GP2X, this didn't happen - since he didn't have X, the devs NEEDED to code the menu.
However, it took time... after the gp2x was released, what did we have after a few weeks?
No playable emulator, but games like Shanghai and Mahjongg. And the emulators that were working, didn't have menus - that's why the Selector-App has been written.

Porting is easier on the Pandora, since you have more CPU power and a proper Linux system, but it also means, that there will be more unoptimized ports at the beginning.
But I think it's better than having nothing at all - and people will eventually take a look and work on it if they are interested and have time.

Another advantage is that we have games like Battle for Wesnoth - without having to work on optimizing it for weeks. It simply runs. And it runs very well.
This wouldn't have been possible on the WIZ or GP2X.

So don't whine about what we have now - just compare what the other systems had after a few weeks and you can see we're heading the right way :)

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Bosbeetle said:

However, it took time... after the gp2x was released, what did we have after a few weeks?
No playable emulator, but games like Shanghai and Mahjongg.

yeah where are shanghai and mahjongg and minesweeper and sudoku and patience???

;)

I have my pandora now for about a month and Ive used it every day for a lot of stuff. I wouldnt want to go without it :) It is really reviving my msx days :)

Back