I Got Gpsp (gba) Running With Sound!

No luck with Zip support either, hard locks the GP2X

Only tried a couple of games.

Mario Kart Circuit plays OK @ 270Mhz with stuttering sound.

Who wants to be a millionaire runs intermittantly

Still a very nice taster of the things to come, great work, well done!

ZodTTd for the KING !!

Pretty good first release, looking forward the next. :D

paxl13

ps: I think I'll donate to Zotddt and Exophase if this emu get to half speed [ Ie 100% speed with fs1 :D ]

Made a fairly minor update to gpSP for the GP2X. More of a "usability" update...So here's Release 2.

Not knowing of an easy way of hosting or attaching the file here, it's been put up here temporarily:
http://www.friggingames.com/gpsp08_gp2x_2.zip

What's new? From the readme_gp2x.txt:
-------
Change Log:
- Release 2:
- Fixed a potential memory leak each time the menu is accessed
- Fixed the menu sensitivity of GP2X controls
- Fixed the background image in the menu system
- Changed the controls as specified in the button mappings below
- Added a toggle for sound on/off
- Release 1: Initial release
-------

Also on the topic of donations, speaking for myself, I would prefer people not to give me notice of when they plan to donate based on what's completed in a project and/or when. It's interpreted as a negative comment by saying you won't appreciate the work involved until something you want is completed. Not a big deal though.

Oh, I forgot zip support. It might actually work, but only when zipped with a certain program. I heard it wants a specific spec of the zip format.
As for fullscreen support, it was left out of this update until I decide whether to use hardware scaling or not. Either way it will look somewhat odd fullscreen, since it won't be the same ratio width/height. But it could be scaled up a bit more and keep the ratio correct. Any thoughts on this?

If fullscreen doesn't go in, people'll keep asking for it, so it's certainly worth adding, possibly with options for horizontal base, vertical base (edges cropped) and full screen stretch (would look horrible, but sure some would like it).

Personally, I'd be most inclined to use a 1-1 as it is at the moment, although a nice touch might be a frame of some description so it's not just surrounded by black. Think Squidgesnes :)

zodttd posted on Dec 1 2006 at 03:50 PM said:
As for fullscreen support, it was left out of this update until I decide whether to use hardware scaling or not. Either way it will look somewhat odd fullscreen, since it won't be the same ratio width/height. But it could be scaled up a bit more and keep the ratio correct. Any thoughts on this?

scaling up is good, but please keep the ratio.

I guess for gba emulation seen ratio of the psp is better than the one of the gp2x.

Last edited by a moderator:
chaos engineer posted on Dec 2 2006 at 02:08 AM said:

scaling up is good, but please keep the ratio.

I guess for gba emulation seen ratio of the psp is better than the one of the gp2x.

I concur - scaling up but keeping the ratio is definitely the way to go. I like fullscreen scaling, but it seems excessive given the actual scale of the GBA. Basically I can cope with it having black bars on either side, but looking at a rectangle within a black square is disconcerting. Even just having it touch the top of the screen makes a world of difference, to me, at least.

Allan.

Made a fairly minor update to gpSP for the GP2X. More of a "usability" update...So here's Release 2.

Not knowing of an easy way of hosting or attaching the file here, it's been put up here temporarily:
http://www.friggingames.com/gpsp08_gp2x_2.zip

What's new? From the readme_gp2x.txt:
-------
Change Log:
- Release 2:
- Fixed a potential memory leak each time the menu is accessed
- Fixed the menu sensitivity of GP2X controls
- Fixed the background image in the menu system
- Changed the controls as specified in the button mappings below
- Added a toggle for sound on/off
- Release 1: Initial release
-------

Also on the topic of donations, speaking for myself, I would prefer people not to give me notice of when they plan to donate based on what's completed in a project and/or when. It's interpreted as a negative comment by saying you won't appreciate the work involved until something you want is completed. Not a big deal though.

Oh, I forgot zip support. It might actually work, but only when zipped with a certain program. I heard it wants a specific spec of the zip format.

It seems to freeze my GP2X randomly when entering the menu, otherwise seems good. ;)

First of all: great work Zodttd :)
The emulator runs pretty fine.

And also a thx for don`t ignore the d-pad users ;)
but I found a bug:

If I use the menu to adjust Framskip it freezed after hitting "return to currently running game" :(
Someone with the same problem?

Regards,
Stephan

Great work zodttd.

For anyone interested, according to this post the 15E1F676 BIOS is corrupt/bad. The BIOS you want has a CRC of 81977335.

Javacat posted on Dec 1 2006 at 04:36 PM said:
Great work zodttd.

For anyone interested, according to this post the 15E1F676 BIOS is corrupt/bad. The BIOS you want has a CRC of 81977335.

I'm using the 15E1F676 BIOS and haven't had any problems so far. ;)
Tried about 15 games, all except Final Fantasy IV & V have booted, and they worked with the "trick" zodttd described on page 14 or somewhere around there.

HauJobb: My GP2X freezes at the menu too.. Same when trying to load a new rom.

HauJobb posted on Dec 1 2006 at 03:32 PM said:
If I use the menu to adjust Framskip it freezed after hitting "return to currently running game" :(
Someone with the same problem?

Regards,
Stephan

Yup same problem here.

Finally waded to the end of this thread. Good work zodttd. I'll throw in my comments now.

So gather around and read this post if you want to hear my comments. :B

Well, of course this is mostly a straight port at this point. I thought an interpreter-only release wouldn't be worth anything, so of course the results are rather shocking to me. Me and zodttd had some big crazy plans to try some weird approaches to all of this, but I think I'd rather just stick to a simpler dynarec model. I'll be getting a GP2X soon, I think, so I can port x86_emit.h and x86_stub.S to GP2X along the same path I used for the PSP version, and add some ARM specific optimizations. It won't be as ideal as the PSP version, but I don't think it needs to. At first, no register caching, but then it'll probably have partial static register allocation. I think that'll be enough, but I have to see for myself. The relative performance should be somewhere inbetween the x86 dynarec and the PSP one. Just a note, on PC the dynarec is MUCH faster than the interpreter, and it's a very simple dynarec.

Here are some notes:
game_config.txt is all but useless right now, because I think every last thing in there are for dynarec optimizations. In particular idle loop elimination changes things a lot. I could add it for the interpreter, but that's not a lot of fun (and slows down the interpreter in general). So some games, like Castlevania: Circle of the Moon, will see HUGE speedups in the dynarec just from eliminating dead weight, it won't really be any comparison at all.

Use the right BIOS everyone. It says how in the readme. If say, Sword of Mana crashes, it means you aren't using the right BIOS.

Final note: I'm still working really hard on gpSP in general, so there will be global benefits I hope. Well, let's see how things go with this, the results right now are pretty surprising, hopefully I don't get hit with the GP2X dynarec curse D: Hopefully I won't, because IMO ARM is the best platform there is for dynarec (well, the pure ARM code, not as much Thumb)

yo awesome news!!! Guess what: Finding roms on the interweb is easy but finding a fucking bios image is mad difficult. so yeah... erm... I´d really appreciate a gba bios... *hint* *wink* pm me... *wink*

xnopasaranx posted on Dec 1 2006 at 04:55 PM said:
yo awesome news!!! Guess what: Finding roms on the interweb is easy but finding a fucking bios image is mad difficult. so yeah... erm... I´d really appreciate a gba bios... *hint* *wink* pm me... *wink*

Check the previous posts. Somebody already hinted how to find the bios.Ñ

Thanks for the bug report in Release #2, I'll fix it right now. I might add a seperate build with a optimization "trick" of sorts for the interpreter. It can cause incompatibility but speeds things up alot. I'm sure everyone is aware of this whole scenario. ;P

Other than that, I'll search for things to fix or optimize, but the code is pretty clean. Once Exophase merges some changes, it sounds like more games such as Mario & Luigi will work and things might go faster. Then after that comes Exophase's work on the dynarec.

The GP2X proved itself pretty well with the performance of gpSP using an interpreter. :)

zodttd posted on Dec 1 2006 at 11:50 AM said:

I'm Realy sorry if I offended you, but as being a student.. I'm realy sorry if I offended you. As beeing myself a programmer, I know my comment can be offending. but Without you, the Gp2x scene would'nt be the same..

Thanks for your great works,
paxl13

Wow zodttd is right, real low numbers here :>

it is a pity that there is no torrent site named after our nifty little device and it would be evil to create one...or even to search for an existing one...

Back