I'll have my Pandora!

I have it! I took it from UPS this morning and just arrived to work. It didn't turn on during my way to work, must charge it. The L-button feels stuck, R-button feels nice and snappy. Worst part of the day is that 20 students are defending their bachelor degree, and I have to ask them boring questions, it will take 6 hours! And it started 3 minutes ago, I'm late.

I'm sure you know this by now, but the foam pads under the shoulder buttons tend to get dislodged during shipping, according to some customers. Just unscrew those four (?) screws holding the back panel on, and you'll see pretty clearly what's wrong with your shoulder button. Reseat the foam pad and it should be good to go.

This is assuming that the screw holding the shoulder button isn't overtightened. If it is, well... loosen it. :p

OMG.!

I was 600-700 in the queue, I ordered 17:18 UTC (18:18 GMT).

Congats & thanks for posting - i'm jumping on all these threads like a rabid dog, i am "supposedly" about double your queue position 1200 - 1300, 1 October 2008 20:33 and desperately trying to extrapolate a delivery estimate from these posts & finding that the "closer" i come to receiving my unit, the harder the uncertainty is to deal with.. Arrrgghh!!

Tell me about it.

I ordered around 21.30 on the 30th of september 2008, so every person that posts with the time stamp of their confirmation is making things more frustrating, fun, intense all those emotions.

Orders seem to be all over the place, you were 600-700 and had your email 4 days ago, another on here only got their email yesterday and was placed earlier in the queue, I am apparently 650-750 and have had zip zero diddly squat.

Conclusion the queue is absolute bollocks.

I just hope mine arrives by the end of the week. Away for business next week so would be handy to have by then.

conclusion: providing an accurate position in the queue is extremely time consuming for people that already work their arses off, and it's just not somethign you should do to pre-orderers, as it then becomes a race/competition etc

I'll stand by my comment, but it's not meant in a venomous way. Simply that there is no stock in the queue numbers, they went out the window a long time ago.

Like I said I just hope I get mine this week due to the business trip next week.

I love it, L-button must be fixed. Delete key isn't working (shift-backspace). I have no idea how power button works, it seems to have three positions. Pulling right turns on maybe? Pulling left apparently does nothing. Terminal has no utf8 support, didn't find a way to reconfigure L/R buttons as mouse buttons instead of default shift/ctrl. Discovered my phone via bluetooth instantly and internet started to wokr (could ping everything around), but DNS resolving didn't work, so no browsing. Wifi discovered my univesity network instantly, but I hadn't uploaded wifi certificate yet, so don't know if it works.

That's all I did while asking students questions (and it is their terminal day at the university). Now I have lectures with more students, again I'm late. And this will take 6 more hours. I'll be dying by the end of day.

I see lots of room for improvement, the default configurator for nubs is great. Now I want the same kind of configurator for ABXY (maybe I want to try them as mouse buttons?) and for L/R keys (maybe I want them as mouse buttons?). Lots of trying. I hate pound, euro, yen and pharagraph symbols on the keyboard.

the first command I tried was 'xev', becuase I wanted to learn the meaning of keys, and I got:

Code:
bash: xev: command not found

:D

I love it, L-button must be fixed. Delete key isn't working (shift-backspace). I have no idea how power button works, it seems to have three positions. Pulling right turns on maybe? Pulling left apparently does nothing. Terminal has no utf8 support, didn't find a way to reconfigure L/R buttons as mouse buttons instead of default shift/ctrl.
Delete not working is a Xorg "feature". There are alterative working mappings around. Power button = power button + hold switch-all-in-one. Pull left (IIRC) is power on, moving right is hold. I could have mixed these, but it will stay in hold mode, but not in power on position. No app has implemented hold. Terminal has UTF-8 support if you set LANG=en_US.UTF-8 before running any terminals. Shoulder buttons: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/55124-remapping-the-mouse-buttons-etc/page__st__15__p__896576&#entry896576

I will edit my post for more. EDIT: Done.

Discovered my phone via bluetooth instantly and internet started to wokr (could ping everything around), but DNS resolving didn't work, so no browsing.
Check /etc/resolv.conf - if it looks bad you can quick test with nameserver 8.8.8.8 (google's), but for me the bluetooth PAN has worked well.

<snip>
the first command I tried was 'xev', becuase I wanted to learn the meaning of keys, and I got:

Code:
bash: xev: command not found

:D

Code:
opkg update 

opkg install xev
Xev is just not a part of the default installation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I should be writing a more useful review, but currently I'm just discovering all of this. The second time when I tried - bluetooth internet work without any console intervention. Previously I checked resolv.conf and something was there - I could ping it. Now - this time DNS worked. Maybe that's my cellphone. Currently I'm getting mad at no useful mouse clicking ability :D I need to try some different ways. Nub-clicking isn't feeling good for me :)

I remember people saying that I need to move nubs around during power-on ?

No worries, I'll find a way for DEL button to work, if I will have to, I'll go way down deep into xorg source.

EDIT: so there is no way turn off Pandora using this power button? Only turn on, and sleep? I have to turn off from menu?

students are giving me now a little break (right now another arrived, I told him to wait a bit outside, while I type this). I'm trying to install university wifi certificate to get it up and running. Because currently I get all the internet through my cellphone. (I didn't expect that the easiest way to get on network would be through bluetooth!). I'll be leaving home in about 90 minutes, so in 2h I am like hell getting up and running USB-VGA :)

EDIT: my university wifi has two certificates. One global, second one personal - I must generate it by providing my university email. I hope that there's a normal way to install both of them.

Grats and thanks for posting the queue number, mine doesn't seem so far away now :D

Currently I'm getting mad at no useful mouse clicking ability :D I need to try some different ways. Nub-clicking isn't feeling good for me :)
I thought the same at first, but now (after only 3 days!) I feel like the nubs were made for it :)

If you really don't like it, you can always add these lines to your .pndXmodmap file (in your home directory). That maps left and right shoulder buttons to mouse buttons (you can do with any other button or keyboard key if you prefer)

Code:
keycode 62 = Pointer_Button1 NoSymbol Pointer_Button1

keycode 105 = Pointer_Button3 NoSymbol Pointer_Button3

You'll also need to enable mouse emulation in the Accessibility settings menu for them to work.

I found that tip in this nice thread, lots of useful info there:

thanks; urjaman already posted this link. I'll try this :) And I'll try ABXY as mouse buttons. I'll try everything I'll think of :) Now - leaving home, today was a long day at work. Boring public transport: here I come!

With a pandora in hand how can public transport be boring ?
That's what I meant.

Midori is permanently crashing, however. And I pressed "Menu" button once, and then I was unable to get rid of unfolded menu. It was plain stuck there on left side of screen. I was browsing with midori, playing with opkg and xev and it was still there so had to reboot. But now, when I try to reproduce this problem - it seems to work.

And midori seems to have some html rendering problems, I can't find the "log in" link, to log into forum from pandora.

And now, hat I'm home - USB-VGA here I come!

OK, Caine, USB-VGA works. for now I just used http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/55572-solved-getting-usb-vga-to-work/page__view__findpost__p__898192

but Raman's xorg.conf isn't optimal. When I will really need VGA connection I'll work it out to be more confortable with xinerama.

It just eats tons of power. When sisusb was connected I had only 1h42 left, when disconnected I have 4h41 left. That reminds, I should plug the charger probably - IIRC it's better to charge often, right?

EDIT: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/46780-usb-2-vga-works-on-linux-plug-play/page__p__702587__hl__sisusb__fromsearch__1&#entry702587

That's what I meant.

Midori is permanently crashing, however. And I pressed "Menu" button once, and then I was unable to get rid of unfolded menu. It was plain stuck there on left side of screen. I was browsing with midori, playing with opkg and xev and it was still there so had to reboot. But now, when I try to reproduce this problem - it seems to work.

when this happens to me i just press the about button which opens the about box which I then close,,

Back