Release MAME EX - Final Release

I shan't comment on ROM list builds, as I don't have access to my main PC and a .110 set, so I've used a bunch from .76 and they are working (listed as correct). I'm getting sound echo and slowness compared with other Mame versions though but that's probably using the wrong roms at fault and nothing that StreaK need look into. Just completed the first set of rounds of Operation Wolf via D-pad and its nice that the nubs also work for this, although they are slower to control :)

Other wise I really like the interface and the splashscreens etc (the A-Z search also works but you have to d-pad away from the each game before the next letter will jump you).

As for scaling options, I found the default video menu doesnt seem to allow for any changes, except pressing enter on cocktail mode, standard 4:3 etc. So I found that if you hit space and go into the <Input general> menu, then remap the keys for Toggle Fullscreen Stretch, Toggle Aspect Ratio and Toggle OpenGL/Software mode (I used F A V then akin to the Toggle Filter option E) it seems to allow for fullscreen stretch of some games. If you don't mind the stretched look and want the real estate used fully. I'm not sure it saves those changes though, rather like Mame .106 would never save the controls remapped and had to be re-done each game. It would be good if these kinds of changes could be made permanent.

As I'm not running .110 roms, ignore me as usual though :)

Thanks again StreaK :)

edit : to correct which toggles to remap

Last edited by a moderator:
Jumpman: I would agree to the reason you state, if at least the two legal roms that are supplied with the pnd would show up.
I had a note in my appdata folder stating those 2 roms, but no actual roms in mine.

So if you do have to roms in yours that dont work, then you might have a problem.

Chris

I tried running my roms manually. That works fine:

Code:
pnd_run.sh -p /media/trans8/pandora/menu/mame_ex_2.pnd -b mame-ex-app -m

cd /mnt/utmp/mame-ex-app

export PATH="/mnt/utmp/mame-ex-app/:${PATH:-"/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/bin"}"

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/mnt/utmp/mame-ex-app/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:-"/usr/lib:/lib"}"

export HOME="/mnt/utmp/mame-ex-app" XDG_CONFIG_HOME="/mnt/utmp/mame-ex-app"

./sdlmame /path_to_sd/path_to_roms/

Sound stutters, but i just wanted to try if the roms i have are intact.

If you want to try that yourself, then you better unmount the pnd after running mame-ex and close the terminal because you changed some environment-variables:

Code:
cd /

pnd_run.sh -p /media/trans8/pandora/menu/mame_ex_2.pnd -b mame-ex-app -u

exit

I'm having difficulty finding ROMs for this mame (v110) - can anyone hit me up in a PM with some advice on where to go, I'd be very grateful. I've got a complete 37b5 set for the older MAME, but obviously I want to try some newer/unsupported stuff :)

D.

I'm having difficulty finding ROMs for this mame (v110) - can anyone hit me up in a PM with some advice on where to go, I'd be very grateful. I've got a complete 37b5 set for the older MAME, but obviously I want to try some newer/unsupported stuff :)

D.

[hint,hint] [Removed].

Last edited:

D.

[hint,hint] [Removed].

Lol :)

I've had a quick browse, and it appears that every ROM I download needs a captcha - going to make it difficult to get a comprehensive set of all the games I want... Is there any provision for, I dunno, a large pack anywhere? I'm not actually bothered about all of the ROMs, but it's easier to download them and trim out locally :)

D.

Ah, i forgot to mention about LOADING / SAVING states:

to save state [from slot A]:

press "A" and press "S" [while pressing A]

to load state [from slot A]:

press "A" and press "L" [while pressing A]

And a word about configs:

old games cofig is best for games that worked with MAME4ALL

new games config 1 is bes for CPS games

new games config 2 is best for new games introduced in mame [post 0.38-games] and NEOGEO / CPS2 games

Last edited:
Could someone please post me an excerpt from the file ".mame-ex.games" which is located in the appdata-folder of mame-ex? I would like to test something. Someone where the roms do show up. ;)

This isn't working for me, tried deleting the .PND and the files inside the appdata/mame-ex-app/ folder. I can't Rebuild gamelist

This isn't working for me, tried deleting the .PND and the files inside the appdata/mame-ex-app/ folder. I can't Rebuild gamelist

Please put the roms in:

appdata/mame-ex-app/roms

Streak: there is a different problem, which i am trying to find out.

When i run the pnd-normaly and the files are scanned, then the file "rom.txt" shows that the roms DO work.

And even the file ".mame-ex.games" seems to be populated correctly. But the entries do not show up in your menu for some reason.

Please put the roms in:

appdata/mame-ex-app/roms
that's what I'm doing. The roms.txt files won't update and are incorrect. When I remove them, they aren't replaced unless I relaunch the .PND with the appdata/mame-ex-app folder deleted. But then it just finds the same two roms that it states is good (gridlee, topgunnr) When I copy my files into /appdata/mame-ex-app/roms/ using the Y button or shift y doesn't do anything.

Please put the roms in:

appdata/mame-ex-app/roms
that's what I'm doing. The roms.txt files won't update and are incorrect. When I remove them, they aren't replaced unless I relaunch the .PND with the appdata/mame-ex-app folder deleted. But then it just finds the same two roms that it states is good (gridlee, topgunnr) When I copy my files into /appdata/mame-ex-app/roms/ using the Y button or shift y doesn't do anything.

Yeah, this is a known problem.

The solution:

Always add only few roms to the MAME EX database, to eventually catch bad roms that funkup the database structure. Never try add whole romset because it has 99.9% probability that something will funkup :)

Last edited:
It works guys, you just need to have the proper rom image(zipped is working for me). First I tried a newer rom set I had, and nothing appeared after the rebuild. So then I tried a rom from a previously mentioned site(won't give any names), and once I tried the rebuild, the game appeared. It will give the game name, and "correct" behind it. So if nothing is appearing, it is just the wrong rom image.

So, good luck to you all, as now we must all go thru the headache that is MAME, and specific rom list. This shit sucks! :p

Thanks StreaK, and Merry Christmas to you as well. Another great Pandora addition.

Chris
that is strange uploaded full 106 romset and when it scanned to 100% it sat there for 10 mins and gave an empty screen tried 12 odd roms from same set alone and it scanned them and worked this emu doesnt like big romsets

It works guys, you just need to have the proper rom image(zipped is working for me). First I tried a newer rom set I had, and nothing appeared after the rebuild. So then I tried a rom from a previously mentioned site(won't give any names), and once I tried the rebuild, the game appeared. It will give the game name, and "correct" behind it. So if nothing is appearing, it is just the wrong rom image.

So, good luck to you all, as now we must all go thru the headache that is MAME, and specific rom list. This shit sucks! :p

Thanks StreaK, and Merry Christmas to you as well. Another great Pandora addition.

Chris
that is strange uploaded full 106 romset and when it scanned to 100% it sat there for 10 mins and gave an empty screen tried 12 odd roms from same set alone and it scanned them and worked this emu doesnt like big romsets

no, it just doesnt like broken / uncompatible / unknown roms. The best way to add a roms is to add games that you really want to play with. From my point of view, its a litle pointless adding full 25GB romset [mame .110] on pandora because theres no possible way to play every game on mame.

Just put few games, rebuild database and check if everything works. and then repeat with new roms..

and for the record for everyone confused out there. Romsets from [Removed] works with MAME EX perfectly...

Last edited:
Back