New cables, more boards (2011-04-15)

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Some of you might've seen that I was a bit unactive during the last week. I've still got so much work to do. Besides building Pandoras (which I will also do this weekend), I had so much to do in my normal job, so I didn't have much time to post.

Anyways, some good things have happened and I want to inform you about those for sure.

First, the first 2000 of the new LCD cables have arrived.

They have been built by a company that is specialized on flex cable production. Some of the biggest notebook manufacturers worldwide are their customers.

These guys optimized and extensively tested the cables - this should be the final end of the purple tint of death!

Click on the picture for a bigger view!

About 1000 of those will be used for the last units of Batch 1, the next ones are for the first 1000 units of Batch 2.

Speaking about Batch 2: The next 4200 batteries are on the way to Craig via sea and will arrive early May.

Next, onto what CircuitCo has been doing.

They continued with their weekly shipment of boards, which is something I'm really happy about! Last weeks they shipped 150, this week, it was 200.

Also, thanks to the boards we sent back that had issues when we got them, they optimized their testing process to ensure that all boards they are shipping to us are working now.

The debugging and fixing of broken units also made some big steps: Quite a number of boards had the same issues. They found out for most problems what part caused that issue and can therefore now repair all those boards without too much hassle.

With todays shipment, a total number of 2703 boards has been shipped to us, about 200 were broken (mostly due to the old nubs) and are currently being reworked.

Let's sum everything up:

* 2703 boards shipped so far

* CC has been doing reliable weekly shipments during the last weeks

* They are improving the testing to make sure we don't get any boards with issues anymore

* 2000 new LCD Cables have arrived

* The batteries for Batch 2 will be in UK early May

As usual, I'll keep you updated :)

Last edited by a moderator:
That's great news ED!

I love hearing about OP doing more dealings with larger companies, improving relationships with current manufacturers, etc. It all points to a bright, successfull future for the Pandora!

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

That's some good news, I'm encouraged by a steadier stream of boards from CC and I hope that'll continue. On the upside, I _think_ by those numbers, I'll probably get one of the new cables, which'll surely give me piece of mind. Thanks again for the update ED. Good luck with catching up with work.

Let's do some maths:

2703 + 1000 = 3703

3703 ≃ 4000
They didn't actually sell all 4000 from batch 1.

Also I'm assuming that the 2703 includes the 200 bad boards, so actually only about 2500 orders have been filled.

So 2500 + 1000 = 3500 = end of batch 1.

You can see where I got confused and knowing my luck I'm number 3500. :mellow:

Let's do some maths:

2703 + 1000 = 3703

3703 ≃ 4000

Also I'm assuming that the 2703 includes the 200 bad boards, so actually only about 2500 orders have been filled.

... Wait ... Does this mean I will get mine sooner? That there are only a thousand left? PLEASE TELL ME!! TWO YEARS OF SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME!!

I'm ok, really :blink:

Let's do some maths:

2703 + 1000 = 3703

3703 ≃ 4000

... Wait ... Does this mean I will get mine sooner? That there are only a thousand left? PLEASE TELL ME!! TWO YEARS OF SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME!!

I'm ok, really :blink:
Probably but just know you and me are the only two in California with a Pandora when batch 1 is complete lol.

I am aware of one in Berkeley as well, not sure if they are on the boards.

I am in Berkeley and HAD a refurbished unit, ended up returning it because it gave me some unfixable problems and I told myself I could wait for my pre-order. Still waiting, and still looking at that premium button everyday, heh.

ED thanks for finding the time to make the post.

Not wishing to sound negative but I need to keep my optimism in check.

The pace of this worries me. CC are shipping regular but the numbers are quite low.

There are few bare boards to populate, assuming the 200 were new builds and not made of up reworked boards. 410 - 200 = 210

Premium Pandoras, are we done with these yet? Despite the grand idea that this would speed up delivery for regular Batch oners, the flow from CC put shot to that.

With no idea on how many have sold and continue to be sold it's hard to judge the impact on us at the tail end of batch one.

So what rate can we expect from CC in the weeks to come? Will this drop off as the last few new boards are used up. I suspect there may be a bloated week from a batch of quick-win fixes but then it will drop off to a dribble. So Batch 2 boards is where the production rates are likely to pick up again, benefiting from the good work our chap at CC has put into the process. How close is this to dovetailing into batch one? As it has been said that some batch one tailenders will drift into batch 2, therefore all of batch ones 4000 boards are needed. Assume cancellations and RMA figures have been used up for Premiums.

4000-2700 = 1300. @ <200/week = 7 weeks. You got it... two monthstm.

So how many of the boards CC shipped still need to be put into cases and shipped?

Is there going to be a larger batch of units to be send out soon?

Ed,

Are the new cable being used now for every new pandora build or will the old be used until they are all "used up"?

Great news, steady progress on the boards is great, even if it isn't the quantity we would like, it's important that they are consistent.

Thanks for the update Ed. Very informative as always.

Back