Release New Video: Ed Assembles A Prototype

'Spirit' said:
For the cable rolling use a small round stick or something. Roll the cable around it, put it in and then remove the stick. :)

Great video, thanks!
Like the stylus, for instance? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
'sverm' said:
'Spirit' said:
For the cable rolling use a small round stick or something. Roll the cable around it, put it in and then remove the stick. :)

Great video, thanks!
Like the stylus, for instance? ;)

Good call :lol:

Cheers for the vid ED. 1st class as usual :)

We didn't see it running, but it was an awesome video! It was so thrilling to finally see it "inside", even though we've seen most of it before. I'm only missing the keyboard.. Seriously when(?) that arrives, and we got to see pics and/videos of it.. I don't know how I will react... Probably go Euphoric all over the place!

Very nice! It's really exciting! Keep'em coming.
And how about shipping all the Pandora parts like that and let people do the assembly? :p They already have the tutorial video! "Build your own Pandora". Haha
But seriously, nice work.

I've been away for a while.. i must admit that my motivation with the pandora dropped a bit, not about its capabilities.. we can all agree that it has very powerful ones. I was afraid about the construction quality of the case. But anyway, this video showed me that what has been done till now, exceeds my expectations.. congrats to the team. i'm happy again, lulz xD

i really wish that the space between the top and bottom case will be almost invisible
ex:
noscrews.jpg

I know that it has no screws pulling them together and the board doesn't fit 100% , even tough.. i'm afraid, lol..
Because in the renders, the models are always so perfect.

awesome job Panda Team

'nikkopt' said:
I've been away for a while.. i must admit that my motivation with the pandora dropped a bit, not about its capabilities.. we can all agree that it has very powerful ones. I was afraid about the construction quality of the case. But anyway, this video showed me that what has been done till now, exceeds my expectations.. congrats to the team. i'm happy again, lulz xD

i really wish that the space between the top and bottom case will be almost invisible
ex:
noscrews.jpg

I know that it has no screws pulling them together and the board doesn't fit 100% , even tough.. i'm afraid, lol..
Because in the renders, the models are always so perfect.

awesome job Panda Team
I see your concern, but from the pictures of the first prototype being put together... well, I don't know...
6.jpg

For me it doesn't seem like much space, and on the finished model it should look better, but also I hate dirt going into those places, it's annoying. I hope it fits nicely! :)

It is strange that it doesn't close up better with the proper board. Also take a look at the top of the screen, looks like quite an opening up there.

Looks to me like the slight design changes to the main board keep it from lining up with the case properly, leaving the gap between case halves.

So, my question is, will MWeston have the final main board revision for installation?
If not, we won't see a fully functional Pandora, as the ABXY keys won't line up.

I watched the video without audio.

Can anyone tell me what happened to the cable? Why exactly did it break?

Also, the hinges that hold the L and R back buttons seems that they can break easily if more force is applied to the button.

One more thing. How flexible is the case? If it falls from 1.5 meters, will it shatter?
How about the screen? I didn't see any padding around the screen to prevent it from cracking on hard shock.

Now, I know these things don't use up much current, but where is the heat dissipated? No holes on the sides/bottom.

'cbp' said:
Can anyone tell me what happened to the cable? Why exactly did it break?
ED rolled it too tightly. The ribbon cables with the dev boards are one-off prototypes, just like the boards. They're very fragile. The production cables are much tougher.

Also, the hinges that hold the L and R back buttons seems that they can break easily if more force is applied to the button.
You'd really have to be trying to break it. You'd probably damage the microswitch long before you broke the plastic.

One more thing. How flexible is the case? If it falls from 1.5 meters, will it shatter?
How about the screen? I didn't see any padding around the screen to prevent it from cracking on hard shock.
Possibly. Don't drop it and you'll be fine.

Now, I know these things don't use up much current, but where is the heat dissipated? No holes on the sides/bottom.
If you know that they don't create much heat, why would you think that they need to dissipate the heat that they don't create? No ventilation is necessary.

'Sphinxter' said:
Would not be much of a handheld if you have to use oven mitts. A rubber booty like you see on ithings would be impossible to close. The stylus holster sure is trick. Any place for a lanyard?
CODE
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa99/MWeston_2007/DSC01110.jpg

'Sphinxter' said:
Would not be much of a handheld if you have to use oven mitts. A rubber booty like you see on ithings would be impossible to close. The stylus holster sure is trick. Any place for a lanyard?
I take it you've never used an OQO handheld?
That thing gets hot as F**k.

And MWeston, never saw the lanyard holes before.
Will there be a metal pin to reinforce that?

How about the screen? I didn`t see any padding around the screen to prevent it from cracking on hard shock.

With a device like this I'd assume you have more to worry about than just the case cracking if you dropped it from that high.

As for heat While I'm sure the system itself dosent heat up I wonder about the battery`s heat.

'j.pickens' said:
And MWeston, never saw the lanyard holes before.
Will there be a metal pin to reinforce that?
No, just a very thick section of plastic in that area. The case is 2mm thick with a 4mm thick area built into the case inside that hole. The hole is also at the base of the case providing very little leverage for angular bending under stress. The CNC prototype is very strong and a molded part should be even stronger.

Feel free to prove me wrong (I don't mind :)), but any smaller handheld device in a plastic case I have taken apart has never had any metal rods inside.

'MWeston' said:
'Sphinxter' said:

CODE
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa99/MWeston_2007/DSC01110.jpg
Excellent, I'll be wearing mine like flavor flave.

Back