Votes: 11 31.4%
  • No

Votes: 20 57.1%
  • If it can do x (please state)

Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just fail to see what important competitive advantage the "Pandora box" would have.
I just see limitation (can't run Windows or X86 Linux, not a lot of game ported yet...)
I don't see this as an issue. I was planning to build a Beagleboard media center one day, should XBMC ever be ported to ARM (which it now has). A Pandora Cube at around $200 would work out far cheaper than putting a Beagleboard system together.

Granted, I'm just one fanboy on a niche forum. But it's not like the entire market is demanding x86 HTPCs. Popcorn Hour, WDTV, Tivo, Xbox, Playstation, there are endless home theatre solutions that don't run regular x86 software. Imagine having one that could share apps with your handheld.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it can do X.

X=HDMI, more usb ports.

Probably won't though. I'm already in for a pandora, and I have a wii, xbox360, beagle board and enough computers and other activities to keep me plenty occupied. But, something like this with HDMI, more usb host ports and out of the box pandora goodness would be pretty tempting. And, I'm sure one or two friends might be interested in this sort of thing.

Not me; I'm only interested in it as a self-contained handheld. That it can be taken anywhere is the point for me. Also, my TV's resolution isn't high enough anyway.

No, everything mentioned in the Pandora Cube can be done with the regular Pandora, and it lacks portability. If you're going to do something like this, it needs to be a full-fledged console, complete with...

• Lots of flash memory, more RAM, faster, more powerful etc.
  • Built in optical disc drive, along with slots for taking ROM dumps of older cartridges.
  • HD output.
  • At least four built-in USB ports.
  • Built-in Ethernet port, along with wi-fi
  • All the regular features of the Pandora (bluetooth, SD cards, etc.) and full backwards compatability

I mean, if you're going to do something like this, go all the way with it.

I chose "If it can do X".

This is how I see it. I think it is an interesting prospect, and since it wouldn't have an LCD, you should be able to give it HDMI out, which would make it appeal a lot to some of the people on these forums. I think it's a really interesting idea, and if I had a lot of money on the side, I'd consider getting it, even though I already am getting a Pandora.

However, I would much rather see some well-thought out "Pandora Cube" that was made as an accessory for the Pandora. Kind of like the GP2X cradle, except without GPH's stupid mistakes in the design, and maybe some extra features.

I envision a Pandora Cube accessory for the Pandora like this:
  • Built-in USB Hub
  • A Breakout of everything that's available in the Pandora's EXT port. (This includes TV-out, Line In, Line Out, and all those other things that are routed to that port)
  • Power cable for charging your Pandora while in the Cube
  • Maybe some sort of internal Memory? (So you can load lots of videos and games on your Pandora Cube that you can access when the Pandora is docked
  • Pandora-branded controllers would be nice, too. They could plug into the USB slots just like any normal controller. (Unless you wanted to make people REALLY happy and make them connect via Bluetooth)
  • Any other features that might be useful

It wouldn't do anything that users wouldn't be able to do separately, however it would put many of the accessories that users might use with the Pandora into a neat little Package that would be a true "Breakout Box".

I know the possibility of something like this is slim to none, but I know that if this came out, I would buy it in a heartbeat. This is what many of us wanted in the GP2X Breakout Box, only to find it was essentially just a USB hub with TV-out. It wouldn't even power the GP2X. -_-

-God Ginrai

I would be interested, but I am not into TV consoles, so it would be unlikely that I would buy such a product.

Oh, it should also be able to play DVDs and, if possible, blu-rays.

Just thought of something else. The portable Pandoras should be able to be used as individual controllers via Bluetooth, to do something sort of Four Sword Adventure-style.

As much as I appreciate a high concept idea session, I would hope y'all at OpenPandora LTD. finish the handheld before you begin work on the cube. Perhaps if we have some more news about the status of Pandora, hardware and software -wise. For instance, if we are in the waiting stage.

Ok complaining aside, I am diggin Ginai's ideas and will think of more.

I could see that being useful with loads of storage space and possibly a dvi/hdmi output. but, if all kinds of monitors can be attached, that would kind of destroy the one device, all apps work the same on every machine idea. And if you stick with svideo/composite only output, i think it would not be that much of an improvement to what most of us have at home right now.

But there might be a small market for people liking design and technology, i for one would be interested but i don't know if i would buy it since the pandora can allready sync with my linux and windows boxes. It's probably possible for less with some more energy hungry, old fashioned machines.

But that's just my thoughts.

Okay, I just had kind of a silly thought. How about a cartridge slot with adjustable pins? Sort of a fits-all kind of scenario. The user could adjust the number of pins, the spacing, even the width and depth of the slot. I realize what I'm talking about is probably a pipe dream at best, but I'm just throwing ideas out.

I chose "If it can do X".
This is how I see it. I think it is an interesting prospect, and since it wouldn't have an LCD, you should be able to give it HDMI out, which would make it appeal a lot to some of the people on these forums. I think it's a really interesting idea, and if I had a lot of money on the side, I'd consider getting it, even though I already am getting a Pandora.

However, I would much rather see some well-thought out "Pandora Cube" that was made as an accessory for the Pandora. Kind of like the GP2X cradle, except without GPH's stupid mistakes in the design, and maybe some extra features.

I envision a Pandora Cube accessory for the Pandora like this:
  • Built-in USB Hub
  • A Breakout of everything that's available in the Pandora's EXT port. (This includes TV-out, Line In, Line Out, and all those other things that are routed to that port)
  • Power cable for charging your Pandora while in the Cube
  • Maybe some sort of internal Memory? (So you can load lots of videos and games on your Pandora Cube that you can access when the Pandora is docked
  • Pandora-branded controllers would be nice, too. They could plug into the USB slots just like any normal controller. (Unless you wanted to make people REALLY happy and make them connect via Bluetooth)
  • Any other features that might be useful

It wouldn't do anything that users wouldn't be able to do separately, however it would put many of the accessories that users might use with the Pandora into a neat little Package that would be a true "Breakout Box".

I know the possibility of something like this is slim to none, but I know that if this came out, I would buy it in a heartbeat. This is what many of us wanted in the GP2X Breakout Box, only to find it was essentially just a USB hub with TV-out. It wouldn't even power the GP2X. -_-

-God Ginrai

+2305972341111168260349676795000072436

As much as I appreciate a high concept idea session, I would hope y'all at OpenPandora LTD. finish the handheld before you begin work on the cube. Perhaps if we have some more news about the status of Pandora, hardware and software -wise. For instance, if we are in the waiting stage.
Ok complaining aside, I am diggin Ginai's ideas and will think of more.

It would just use the Pandora board as is, there isn't any extra work required, we are just trying to open our potential market a bit more so we might become profitable a little faster.

It would just use the Pandora board as is, there isn't any extra work required, we are just trying to open our potential market a bit more so we might become profitable a little faster.
Way to rain on our parade. :(

Just kidding, but the only use I see for something like that would be an improvement on the beagleboard for developers. I can't really see myself getting it.

Never mind, make that a "no".
If I'm going to buy a box, I really need VGA-out on it. LAN would be nice too, but the Pandora does have wireless.
edit: Or DVI. I'd prefer VGA though, it's a little better for compatibility and the cables are cheaper... And I already own a VGA cable.

I would suggest doing an alternate release cycle; first you release a console version and then a year or two later you release a portable equivalent. Once those are out the door and everything has settled down you can start work on a new console and restart the cycle.

Doing it that way would give you the advantage of having a sizable software library already available when the handheld releases and you could get a bunch of hardware and OS testing out of the way via the console. You can just build on the progress you already had from the console version to add an LCD and any other parts you'd need for a portable equivalent.

I'd recommend having the handheld input interface planned out before you make the console though. For a touchscreen handheld you could make the console equivalent mouse operated, since they function similarly it would be a smoother conversion from console to portable.

If it was me in charge, I'd wait until the OMAP4 was ready, then put together an HD-capable console with HDMI output, an upgradeable internal hard drive--probably 2.5"--and any other cool stuff I might want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back