Beta Pandora Hotfix 3 - Beta Test!

Status
Not open for further replies.
torpor said:
I just applied this Hotfix and noticed something: If you've booted with the new kernel from notaz to fix the sound problem (with the boot.txt file on SD card, or in my case, renamed to autoboot.txt), the Hotfix #3 script won't update the kernel - or if it does update, it does it *very* fast .. certainly not as long as I would think it should take to copy a kernel file to NAND. I rebooted without the new kernel, re-ran the script, and it took longer the second time .. so just a warning here.

Well, usually it says if the kernel has been installed at the summary at the end of the HotFix :)
Might be helpful to know what it said there :)

tsh said:
EvilDragon said:
Hmm, that definately shouldn't happen. It only takes a few seconds... though it also should show an error when it fails...

No, it just waited there. Cancelling worked (although I did manually remove the /boot/uImage.new after rather than test how it coped if I re-ran with it still there)

When I tried to shutdown, I got an odd message saying couldn't shutdown (and some stuff about dbus). I guess this was related to maybe removing and replacing an SD-card and it not re-mounting properly. After a hard reset, the hotfix installed OK, in maybe 10 sec.

Not having any luck with mass storage under WinXP. The device is detected (with what seems to be the correct driver), but so far as I can tell it doesn't see any partitions - just un-allocated space. Mind you, the windows machine it is connected to is not the most reliable...

Hm, I haven't tried it in Windows, only with ArchBox, but that one mounts the slots just fine.
Unless I managed to get a stupid error in the script yesterday night (haven't tested the final one, just a first one).

Will try later. :)

Last edited:
tsh said:
Not having any luck with mass storage under WinXP. The device is detected (with what seems to be the correct driver), but so far as I can tell it doesn't see any partitions - just un-allocated space. Mind you, the windows machine it is connected to is not the most reliable...

Win7(64 bit) works fine. XP 64 bit works fine too! Very nice, thanks ED!

Last edited by a moderator:
EvilDragon said:
With what games / apps?
MAME is known to need too much CPU for the sound to keep up sometimes. Just pause for a second and continue.

The sound apps where I noticed scratchy sound are Exaile, MPlayer, and Angry Drunk Dwarves.

The other app's in play when the problem occurred... probably Thunar, Fennec, ORage and Pidgin all running in the background.

It's fairly inconsistent. If I quit exaile, do other stuff for a few minutes, and then run MPlayer, it might sound correct again. Or not.

todd said:
EvilDragon said:
With what games / apps?
MAME is known to need too much CPU for the sound to keep up sometimes. Just pause for a second and continue.

The sound apps where I noticed scratchy sound are Exaile, MPlayer, and Angry Drunk Dwarves.

The other app's in play when the problem occurred... probably Thunar, Fennec, ORage and Pidgin all running in the background.

It's fairly inconsistent. If I quit exaile, do other stuff for a few minutes, and then run MPlayer, it might sound correct again. Or not.

Hmm, sounds to me like the Kernel is not correctly installed.
Did you boot with notaz soundfix kernel? Looks like then sometimes the kernel is not updated.

Could you re-run the Hotfix to see if it says your kernel is up-to-date?

Last edited:
Alerino said:
EvilDragon said:
* New: Added Mass Storage mode via Mini-USB (can be enabled in the System-Menu)

it works, but seems you cannot have PND in pandora/desktop

you mean running the hotfix from desktop? worked for me...

One thing to note, at the end it said i had the usb sound modules already, but i only had hotfix2 installed, and codec pack, i thought these were new for hotfix3?

ED: I have booted with Notaz' kernel on SD card, then I run the Hotfix #3 .. it does a *very* quick "Updating kernel" message, then it reports at the end that it didn't need to update the kernel because its already the latest version .. but thats not the case, because I've booted from SD - the kernel in my NAND is still the old version.

So I tried to boot from the NAND-kernel and try again .. and this time it didn't do anything, either. I'm pretty sure it didn't update the kernel this time, either.

I didn't have any luck using mass storage with Windows. I will fool around with it a little more but from what I understand, Windows does not handle composite devices well.

EDIT: N/M working fine. I had closed the Mass Storage window thinking it was still running

Alerino said:
GizmoTheGreen said:
Alerino said:
it works, but seems you cannot have PND in pandora/desktop

you mean running the hotfix from desktop? worked for me...

No, it installed ok, i mean the SD-Mass Storage. The one that has pnd files "locks" itself and doesn't allow to be mounted by the app.

Strange, I haven pnd's on my sd, both on the desktop and in the menu, and it mounts happily in win7 & XP. Maybe a reboot solves it? Could be that a pnd which you ran didn't unmount itself properly or something?

Running the SD mass storage from the system tab isn't working too well on my Pandora. The app runs without error but on my desktop both my SD cards show as unallocated space. I know they're FAT32 formatted with the Panasonic SD formatter. They show up fine in my SD card reader but not for this mass storage mode.

The Desktop is running WinXP. I tried it on a linux system (laptop on a 'Parted Magic' livecd). On the linux system it wont mount and GParted has a warning:
"Can't open /dev/sdb1: No such file or directory
Cannot initialize 'H:'
mlabel: Cannot initialize drive

Unable to read the contents of this file system!
Because of this some operations may be unavailable."

Alerino said:
that did the trick, might have been GMPC that i ran just earlier
thanks a lot
and pandora gets better and better

Np! Isn't GMPC that media player, which starts a server & a front end? Very likely closing the front end leaves the server running in the background.

Anyone else having trouble getting their computers to recognize the Pandora via USB (Windows 7: "Device driver software not successfully installed"...)? It looked like the Hotfix installed properly (well, except for the USB Sound part, but I'm assuming that's being fixed), so I'm not sure what's up :/

skeezix said:
Im away from home a couple days (and still time challenged) but i can look into space-path issues soon. Didnt know about that one :)
Might already be fixed, just needs some testing: http://bugs.openpandora.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=112

Azure said:
Anyone else having trouble getting their computers to recognize the Pandora via USB (Windows 7: "Device driver software not successfully installed"...)? It looked like the Hotfix installed properly (well, except for the USB Sound part, but I'm assuming that's being fixed), so I'm not sure what's up :/

works for me, though only with one of my sdcard.

both are fat32, but one appears as "unknown" partition in windows, and the other works fine :/

does the pc see it as cdc composite device? if so, the wrong module is loaded on the pandora...

EvilDragon said:
todd said:
EvilDragon said:
With what games / apps?

Hmm, sounds to me like the Kernel is not correctly installed.
Did you boot with notaz soundfix kernel? Looks like then sometimes the kernel is not updated.

Could you re-run the Hotfix to see if it says your kernel is up-to-date?

It says "Kernel already up-to-date". I haven't tried Notaz's kernel: just Hotfixes 2 and 3beta.

Sound is clear again for the moment. Any ideas what I should be watching for/trying to help diagnose what's going on?

--Todd

EDIT 2: I've just spent the last hour browsing the web, doing stuff, and listening to music. No issues: sounds perfect. Who knows? Maybe all is well now! Thanks, ED!

todd said:
EDIT 2: I've just spent the last hour browsing the web, doing stuff, and listening to music. No issues: sounds perfect. Who knows? Maybe all is well now! Thanks, ED!
Did you reboot the previous time? Kernel update needs reboot to have effect.

ED: it would probably be best to show some windows-style "you need a reboot" message after kernel update is done.

notaz said:
todd said:

ED: it would probably be best to show some windows-style "you need a reboot" message after kernel update is done.

Good idea. Will put that in the final Hotfix 3 release.

Last edited:
notaz said:
todd said:

My gut reaction was, "Of course I rebooted!" But I've been using it all day today with no problems, including a long round-trip in the car playing music. So maybe, just maybe, I hadn't rebooted. Perhaps an offer to reboot at the end of the install (but only if kernel changes were made?) would be helpful.

--Todd

EvilDragon said:
* Automount: Now using Label names (if the card has one) instead of mmcblk*

Just a though. Has minimenu been fixed to take this into account when looking for skins/config files? Previously it searched /media/mmcblk* for these files.

Pleng said:
EvilDragon said:
* Automount: Now using Label names (if the card has one) instead of mmcblk*

Just a though. Has minimenu been fixed to take this into account when looking for skins/config files? Previously it searched /media/mmcblk* for these files.

Yes, a new config is also included for MiniMenu :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back