Pandora Mascot

PandaNew.jpg

I loved this Panda ever since first time I saw it. The blue around the eyes seems to be shaped wrong, makes him look a bit sad. And I think his nose should be made a bit wider, for the cuteness factor.

I want a shirt with that on it now. ^_^
1"] The Panda is a bear
Actually, the Panda is more closely related to the raccoon. Also, I can guarantee the Pandora is not carnivorous. It's an herbivore.

-God Ginrai[/quote]from wikipedia (not saying wikipedia is always right..."]

Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Mammalia
Order: Carnivora
Family: Ursidae
Genus: Ailuropoda
Species: A. melanoleuca
so basically an animal from the family Ursidae and of the carnivora order... but he has an almost herbivore diet... wikipedia also mention that it was thought to be related to racoon from previous classifications...[/quote]First of all, if it can eat both, then it's neither a carnivore or an herbivore. It's an omnivore. Second, they still haven't come to a conclusion on the Panda's classification yet, there are still people on both sides of the fence whether the Panda is more closely related to the raccoon or the bear.

PandaNew.jpg

I loved this Panda ever since first time I saw it. The blue around the eyes seems to be shaped wrong, makes him look a bit sad. And I think his nose should be made a bit wider, for the cuteness factor.
The blue is shaped right, if he were to change it, he might make his Panda look strange. Also, if the nose were bigger, it would be out of proportion with the rest of the head.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
A quick check of images.google shows that Pandas all have slightly different eye markings, but they're all sloping roughly the same way in a sort of "sad" look. That's OK, it makes them look cuter.

Second, they still haven't come to a conclusion on the Panda's classification yet, there are still people on both sides of the fence whether the Panda is more closely related to the raccoon or the bear.

BEAR VERSES RACCOON! FIGHT!

Kramy posted on May 31 2009 at 12:50 AM said:
I prefer the cube thing as a mascot.

I can just picture it spinning and talking in one of those AI voices.
"Pandora, open my PSX emulator"

"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."

EDIT: By the way, I love the panda. It's the new tux.

Bear VS Raccoon is somewhat irrelevant when you consider that Raccoons, the little bastards that they are, are probably more of a nuisance and further removed from cute than any bear derivative I've ever heard of. They're about as welcome as rats and pigeons!

Anyway, the hand-drawn Panda is pretty good, but I think it does need vectorising. I'm certainly going to give it a try if I have nothing better to do.

It would make a cracking teeshirt, maybe we should try and get some printed? (not the shitty Cafe press ones)

Bear VS Raccoon is somewhat irrelevant when you consider that Raccoons, the little bastards that they are, are probably more of a nuisance and further removed from cute than any bear derivative I've ever heard of. They're about as welcome as rats and pigeons!
Have you SEEN the Red Panda? They are very similar to raccoons in looks, yet they are so damn cute!

-God Ginrai

Aren't raccoons omnivores? The panda is an herbivore.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think pandas are native to Asia, while bears and raccoons are native to North America.

I don't think the panda is related to either one.

What's this I hear about cute and cuddly pandas not being for teh hardcorez?

pandasaur.jpg

I'm not trying to stop an obviously creative process here but I for one would be ticked off if I had to stare at a cartoon animal every time I switched my pandora on. Please be aware that stuff like this can scare away new users and not every linux user thinks tux is awesome. If a mascot has to be used I would prefer something unobtrusive and tasteful like:
panda_ora.png

Red Panda[/URL]. However, now that we have more tools to look at their DNA, we see that the Giant Panda is a true bear from a very old line of bears. While we're pretty certain about that, there's still a lot of questions about where the Red Panda fits in: some people think it's a type of raccoon, some a type of bear, and some put it in its own family altogether. It's easier to understand all this panda confusion when you take into account that bears and raccoons are distantly related to each other and probably evolved from a common ancestor.
Interesting note: both the Giant Panda (bear) and the Red Panda (?"] have a false sixth finger, a "thumb" made from bones in the wrist that extend outward like a spur and help them grip bamboo.
Also, I support Pandorasaurus!

What's this I hear about cute and cuddly pandas not being for teh hardcorez?

pandasaur.jpg
LOL.

I'm not trying to stop an obviously creative process here but I for one would be ticked off if I had to stare at a cartoon animal every time I switched my pandora on. Please be aware that stuff like this can scare away new users and not every linux user thinks tux is awesome. If a mascot has to be used I would prefer something unobtrusive and tasteful like:
First of all, we are deciding on a mascot, not a boot-up process. Most likely, you won't see anything we might choose here when the Pandora boots up. Second, a cute cuddly animal will not scare newcomers away. Now if we threw the Panda all throughout the OS so that it popped out at you whenever you tried to do something, we might drive some users away who don't want to see a cute, cuddly animal everywhere they go. But we certainly would never scare anyone away.

-God Ginrai

I agree. If the mascot was shown during the boot process, I would much prefer something like this (see below). Neither of the first two images I created are very "logo-ey" yet.
pandorapanda.jpg

Although this may still be a little too cute for some people...

It took me a little while to see the Panda. At first it just looked like blue splotches on a white background.

I don't think we should use a cute animal :huh: Pandora does not equal Panda

Whenever I think of pandora I think of the lady that opened the box. I would prefer a box or a lady over a panda.

This is my opinion don't listen to it if you don't want to.

Have you SEEN the Red Panda? They are very similar to raccoons in looks, yet they are so damn cute!
-God Ginrai

63622751_a825294560.jpg
<------------------red panda

Back