Pandora Mascot

Magnulus, I understand what you are saying about the mascot and logo thing. However, I think you are way off-base in your argument against the Panda. It's not like we said "We need a mascot, what's a cool animal?" The reason we chose a Panda is because a lot of people have just shortened Pandora to Panda as a little pet name for their Pandora. This gives us ample reason to choose a Panda to be the mascot. A platypus on the other hand has no such relation to the handheld. I don't know about you, but I know I haven't seen people going around saying "I can't wait until I get my platypus and play some Quake 3!"
I haven't seen people say that they can't wait to install Tux or Penguin on their PCs either, but that didn't stop the Linux foundation (or whoever came up with Tux"]. I'm just saying that in a thread meant to be about creative exploration of what a Pandora mascot could be wouldn't do too badly being a bit more open-minded. Also, I stand by my point about the whole logo/ mascot thing, which is also something that hasn't been adressed.[/quote]You miss my point. I was saying that the panda wasn't an arbitrary decision. It related. A platypus does not. And yes, you are right, neither does a penguin. But the point of my post was to let you know there was in fact a reason that we chose the Panda, and that we didn't just grab it out of thin air.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm aware that the Pandora is called the Panda by some, I'm just saying that it's worthwhile to look at other things. A Platypus DOES relate on many levels, just not on the one level of being a nickname some people use for the handheld.

exchanging linux with tux is quite common with programs and buisiness-names.

Also, isn't the Platypus the mascot of darwin (the MacOSX-kernel)? I wouldn't want to mess with apple when it comes to trademarks... it's all they really have ^^

My vote goes to panda and by the way... I bet my panda beats the crap out of all the other candidates :p

What about a butterfly.
300px-Argynnis_pandora_LC0052.jpg

This has pandora in its name and someone clever could incorporate the logo into the wings.
Also it's light... and err... sort of a clam shell and err... well that the best I can do.

What about a butterfly.
Microshaft uses the Butterfly ("Better with the Butterfly") for the MicroShaft Network.

If you absolutely need to have a mascot I'm good with a Panda. People are already referring to Pandoras as "Pandas", so that reinforces the 'brand image'. Unless there is a remarkably important 'mascotable' figure from the myth of Pandora and the box, and even then it can't be terribly obscure or it still won't make any more sense than a panda anyway.

What about a butterfly.
Microshaft uses the Butterfly ("Better with the Butterfly""] for the MicroShaft Network.[/quote]If you absolutely need to have a mascot I'm good with a Panda. People are already referring to Pandoras as "Pandas", so that reinforces the 'brand image'. Unless there is a remarkably important 'mascotable' figure from the myth of Pandora and the box, and even then it can't be terribly obscure or it still won't make any more sense than a panda anyway.

Nuff said. Wouldn't want to a associated with that lot. Just think that the panda is too obvious and rather over used.

Pandora...Pan Door A...
m-2.jpg
A Pan Door Knocker. :p

Personally, I don't see the purpose in a mascot.

But, if we must, I think it should be treated more like a video game console mascot and less like tux or the butterfly. Nintendo,Sony,Microsoft,Sega all had characters created for their games that then became mascots after sales of either the game or the system increased due to the character. Nintendo didn't sit back one day and say "You know what our predominately Japanese company needs as a mascot? A short fat mustachioed Italian that works as a plumber and gets sucked into a alternate world filled with mushroom people and one hot blond princess!". Well they might have, but thats not the point.

I don't mind the panda being the mascot if we can find a way to incorporate it into something that is used on the Pandora.

I wouldn't mind a platypus given he be involved in some "echo the dolphin" like knockoff.

I wouldn't even mind a sultry young heron that lives in a bleak future filled with ruins of a once prosperous civilization.... and she has to find the fabled Pandora's box (actually a urn) and return hope to the world (at the bottom of Pandoras box was hope). Only to find that she is the reincarnation of the fabled Pandora and that the old gods have returned.... and all the gods save Zeus (not because hes noble, but because shes hot and he wants to goose her) are trying to stop her....so she must defeat/outsmart all of the gods at their own games. Whilst avoided one really amorous bull. This too would be fine

But a mascot just for the sake of a mascot is.... pointless.

By the way the last idea about the girl is mine. If anyone is interested in creating said game let me know and I'll ramble on.

Nintendo didn't sit back one day and say "You know what our predominately Japanese company needs as a mascot? A short fat mustachioed Italian that works as a plumber and gets sucked into a alternate world filled with mushroom people and one hot blond princess!". Well they might have, but thats not the point.
Nope, but Sega one day said "Let's make a mascot that will sell in the USA.". :p

Nintendo didn't sit back one day and say "You know what our predominately Japanese company needs as a mascot? A short fat mustachioed Italian that works as a plumber and gets sucked into a alternate world filled with mushroom people and one hot blond princess!". Well they might have, but thats not the point.
Nope, but Sega one day said "Let's make a mascot that will sell in the USA.". :p
Isn't blonde the only gender specific word in the English vocabulary? Blonde for girls and princesses and blond for blokes.
Not picking you up on this as Cpt. Typo here has no room to talk. Just an interesting probable fact.

Personally, I don't see the purpose in a mascot.

But, if we must, I think it should be treated more like a video game console mascot and less like tux or the butterfly. Nintendo,Sony,Microsoft,Sega all had characters created for their games that then became mascots after sales of either the game or the system increased due to the character. Nintendo didn't sit back one day and say "You know what our predominately Japanese company needs as a mascot? A short fat mustachioed Italian that works as a plumber and gets sucked into a alternate world filled with mushroom people and one hot blond princess!". Well they might have, but thats not the point.

I don't mind the panda being the mascot if we can find a way to incorporate it into something that is used on the Pandora.
I have to agree here. Tux the penguin is the perfect example of why a mascot for the sake of having a mascot is a bad idea. Sure there's decent enough Tux-themed games, but there's games out there that are using penguins for no clear reason. There's a robot based RPG out there that makes your character an "Alien Penguinoid" with strange robot controlling mind powers. It's unnecessary and makes a perfectly good game concept feel silly.

Dauric:

You cannot blame Linux for people using the Tux logo stupidly.

The official "Linux" logo is really, really boring, without Tux Linux would have no visual recognizably. I think the Linux developers made a very good decision to adopt Tux as their mascot. It really has played a part in Linux's success, as silly as that seems.

lol! thats what I get for not proofing my post before hitting reply.

Yes indeed it was meant to be blonde and Heroine not Heron or Heroin. Strangely my spell checker doesn't recognize blonde as being the proper spelling for anything.

My apologies

Back