Votes: 39 20.9%
  • Pyrrha

Votes: 24 12.8%
  • Pyra

Votes: 66 35.3%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
to be honest DragenBox already sounds way cooler to me than OpenPandora!!!!! Like comradekingu mentioned I also ended up prefering to call her pandi.

really? its gonna be "DragonBox DragonFly". I don't want to spoil anything but thats a bit silly xD
I like both DragonBox and DragonFly, just not together.

really? its gonna be "DragonBox DragonFly". I don't want to spoil anything but thats a bit silly xD
^I'm surprised by that choice too, but I'm guessing most people that quickly swing through don't realize it's going to be a composite name and Dragonbox will be the prefix.

Edit: Also DragonFly is a tad over used. For example it's a version of opera browser, a fork of FreeBSD, A PCI-E NVRAM storage device, a line of High-end microphones, a content management system, a USB Digital to Analog converter, a movie in 2002 with Kevin Costner and some TV show for kids.. that was one page of searching.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like "Pyrrha" was added as an option, and you can pick multiple names now (I don't know if that was already the case).

So I'm voting both "Pyrrha" and "Pyragon" now. Perhaps "Pyra" would be better than "Pyrrha" though (shorter, easier to spell).

Perhaps the name is being rushed? I mean as of yet there's only a hypothetical set of specs, There's no artist rendition even... how far along into building the original Pandora did the name come about? Is calling it Pandora 2 really that confusing? No one had trouble with the PS2.

Ultimately, I'm just kinda wondering if the name can wait a bit until it just feels more organic, because all the proposed names seem little forced right now.

just my two cent... back to lurk mode.

Looks like "Pyrrha" was added as an option, and you can pick multiple names now (I don't know if that was already the case).

So I'm voting both "Pyrrha" and "Pyragon" now. Perhaps "Pyra" would be better than "Pyrrha" though (shorter, easier to spell).
I'd go with "Pyra" over "Pyrrha" as well. It's simpler, easier to (say|write correctly|find on google|communicate successfully) and more recognizable.

EDIT: Aaaand saw ED's post in the other thread that it's already trademarked :(

^I'm surprised by that choice too, but I'm guessing most people that quickly swing through don't realize it's going to be a composite name and Dragonbox will be the prefix.

Edit: Also DragonFly is a tad over used. For example it's a version of opera browser, a fork of FreeBSD, A PCI-E NVRAM storage device, a line of High-end microphones, a content management system, a USB Digital to Analog converter, a movie in 2002 with Kevin Costner and some TV show for kids.. that was one page of searching.
Hey I never said that. Don't go putting words in my mouth ;)

I like that Myridon sounds like a dinosaur.  I would feel just as happy about it winning as Miriad.  I worry that two similar nice names will split up those votes, but it seems you can vote for multiple names at once now.

I think using Dragonbox as the title name and allowing another product name was an excellent idea.

Geez, this is not going to be easy... added Pyrrha, but I think that's pretty bad because of the complicated spelling.

And DragonBox does NOT need to be said anytime.

No one says Sony PSP, everyone just calls it PSP.

Same for Debian. In discussions, people just call it Wheezy or Squeeze.

Or the Hyperkin RetroN5... everyone just says Hyperkin :)

Perhaps the name is being rushed? I mean as of yet there's only a hypothetical set of specs, There's no artist rendition even... how far along into building the original Pandora did the name come about?
Pretty early, as the everything needs to be registered (a trademark can be rejected within half a year) and you also want to put the logo on your case design, thus you need a name first ;)

Ok, so we want to do what debian does. I 100% agree, but lets do it the debian way.

Where does any of those go from there with versions and numbers, its ok with numbers, but thats revisions(?)

What we can learn from debian is that a name works regardless, no need to get supernerdy about it. If names from toy-story work, then surely it doesnt have to make sense for every esoteric reason there is.

My suggestion is making it a destinct, trademarkable name, that nobody else will use, and have a shorter form of it, where it is dragonbox (already established) used in everyday lingo.

Im not even on the barricades on it being _my_ suggestion, just something that makes a bit of sense, please.

Or point out the flaws in that, thoughts, etc.

Its a company with in the forseeable future one product, voting over names without asking the ones that own them, or finding out what they mean to people that speak the language they are in seems like a hasted decision. This is a foss endavour, taking the name of other foss operating systems without using them is bad-mannered. More debian, less ubuntu please.

In the words of eazy-e: "eazy dus it"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back