Release PPSSPP, Emulator for PSP

I've updated the soft and tried one of the games listed as high compatibility (for pc), Obscure 2. Here's a video on my 1ghz edition (overclocked @1.1ghz), no sound.

Sorry for the bad quality, I was filming with my Nexus in my right hand and trying to play touchscreen (can't find the setting to remap controls) with the left hand.

I'll let you judge by yourselves, I feel it's pretty positive considering it's a very early build.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/0TvrNPHPsdc?feature=oembed

Quite impressive indeed. It's definitely far from full speed, but somewhere between 5 and 10 FPS. Does it use frameskip yet or not ? 

Since it's without sound, not sure how much performance they will be able to squeeze to run PSP games reasonably. Basically they need to make the emulator at least 3-4 times faster to get somewhere close to an acceptable PSP experience. 

I've updated the soft and tried one of the games listed as high compatibility (for pc), Obscure 2. Here's a video on my 1ghz edition (overclocked @1.1ghz), no sound.

Sorry for the bad quality, I was filming with my Nexus in my right hand and trying to play touchscreen (can't find the setting to remap controls) with the left hand.

I'll let you judge by yourselves, I feel it's pretty positive considering it's a very early build.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/0TvrNPHPsdc?feature=oembed
Indeed, runs quite well :D

About analog control, I hoocked Nubs to the analog control, but, for now, I still didn't have forced the nubs to Joystick mode. I will do that for next version. I the mean time, if you force Nubs to joystick mode (at least the left one), you should be able to move without touch screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lumines runs quite well. I'm playing it now.

Not fullspeed at all, but I can play it (no sound).

1ghz Pandora @ 1GHZ.

Edit: Only slightly better at 1.2GHZ.

Something odd is happening... When I try to start a game, it just crashes... here's the .out

EDIT: fixed...

=======================================================================================

PND : /media/PANDORA/pandora/apps/PPSSPP.pnd

PND_FSTYPE : Squashfs

APPDATADIR : /media/PANDORA/pandora/appdata/PPSSPP

APPDD_FSTYPE : vfat

PND_CPUSPEED : <unset>

EXENAME : runscript.sh

ARGUMENTS : <unset>

=======================================================================================

[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------

Mounting : mount -t squashfs -o ro "/dev/loop0" "/mnt/utmp/PPSSPP"

Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs="/media/PANDORA/pandora/appdata/PPSSPP=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/PPSSPP=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/PPSSPP"

[sUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Starting the application (runscript.sh ) ----------

--------------------------------------------------------------

Setting PATH to /mnt/utmp/PPSSPP/bin:/mnt/utmp/PPSSPP/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games

--------------------------------------------------------------

Setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to /mnt/utmp/PPSSPP/lib:/lib:/usr/lib

29:58:869 /media/SEBEXT/sources/git/ppsspp/Core/Config.cpp:37 I[LOAD]: Loading config: /mnt/utmp/PPSSPP/home/ppsspp.ini

29:58:893 /media/SEBEXT/sources/git/ppsspp/android/jni/NativeApp.cpp:272 I[bOOT]: Logger inited.

29:58:893 /media/SEBEXT/sources/git/ppsspp/android/jni/NativeApp.cpp:277 I[bOOT]: NativeInitGraphics - should only be called once!

I: /media/SEBEXT/sources/git/ppsspp/native/file/zip_read.cpp:203: I: Registered VFS for prefix : assets/

I: /media/SEBEXT/sources/git/ppsspp/native/file/zip_read.cpp:203: I: Registered VFS for prefix : /mnt/utmp/PPSSPP/home/

I: /media/SEBEXT/sources/git/ppsspp/android/jni/NativeApp.cpp:181: I: Logman: 0x1a4190

30:31:507 /media/SEBEXT/sources/git/ppsspp/Core/Config.cpp:144 I[LOAD]: Config saved: /mnt/utmp/PPSSPP/home/ppsspp.ini

30:31:508 /media/SEBEXT/sources/git/ppsspp/android/jni/EmuScreen.cpp:47 I[bOOT]: Starting up hardware.

30:31:508 /media/SEBEXT/sources/git/ppsspp/Common/MsgHandler.cpp:92 E

• : Warning: Failed to map 256 MB of memory space: Cannot allocate memory
    30:31:508 /media/SEBEXT/sources/git/ppsspp/Core/MemMap.cpp:82 I[MM]: Memory system initialized. RAM at 0x477ee000 (mirror at 0 @ 0x8000000, uncached @ 0x8000000)

30:31:510 /media/SEBEXT/sources/git/ppsspp/Core/MIPS/ARM/ArmAsm.cpp:96 I[HLE]: Base: 00000000

30:31:511 /media/SEBEXT/sources/git/ppsspp/Core/Loaders.cpp:89 I[LOAD]: Identifying file...

bin/PPSSPPSDL: relocation error: bin/PPSSPPSDL: symbol , version GCC_3.5 not defined in file libgcc_s.so.1 with link time reference

[ FAILED]--- Starting the application (runscript.sh ) ----------

[ START ]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------

[sUCCESS]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------

[ START ]--- uMount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

auplink:plink.c:223: AUFS_CTL_PLINK_MAINT: Inappropriate ioctl for device

rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/PPSSPP': Device or resource busy

[ START ]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

cleanup done

[sUCCESS]--- uMount the PND ----------

Return code is : 4

Failed to map 256 MB of memory space: Cannot allocate memory
Hmm have you Batch one?

Maybe Ptitseb compiled it on a Rebirth Pandora and the Emu think every Pandora have little more Ram.

Have anyone other with a Batch one tried the Emulator?

I confirm that I compile on a Rebirth, so I'm not sure of the memory requirement. Try to create a swap file.

PS: for spoiler, you have to use [ ], not < >.

Yeah, have a CC panda. Seems to have fixed it self but when I start the emulator again, the pandora freezes completely.

EDIT: ok, dmesg is being bombarded with "pvr: PPSSPPSDL: IOCTL 69 failed (13)" while playing ridge racer 2 (only game I have at hand and can go in a race at like 3 fps) I don't see any swap usage tho...

Yes, Ridge Racer 2 is very slow and hang unexpectedly sometimes, and I have also trouble starting the emulator multiple times, but I still haven't figured out why.

New build on the repo.

Synchronised with lates version + activated Analog control. That means nubs are not available as a mouse anymore. Use the touchscreen, the HUI is designed for that anyway.

Build 05

-----------

• In sync with official v0.6.1 release
  • Activated Analog control with nubs
  • Nubs cannot be used for mouse control, use Touchscreen now

I went looking for PSP-versions for games that I know (was hoping for Max Payne or something like that) but the only one I could find was Test Drive Unlimited.

Would be cool to play that, but I guess the emulator still has a looooong way to go until one could even think about a game like that (especially if the PSP version is programmed as bad as the PC version :D )

Some technical questions: does the Pandora and PSP have some hardware in common which would make the emulator run faster? Like don't emulate but run natively instead? I guess the PSP has an ARM processor, so probably this already helps.

Aren't there also some similarities between PSP and PS1? Somehow I seem to have that information in my head ... from some "PS1 games on PSP" discussion ... if so, maybe things can be optimized further by borrowing code from PCSXrearmed?

Not sure if I'm ever ging to use this emulator much, but I'm curious to see how it develops. ^_^

The PSP has a MIPS processor, so it's not a common point.

The emulator now use a JIT (Just In Time) to have some fast MIPS->ARM code convertor.

The graphics are converted (using an HLE approach: High Level Emulation) to GLES Hadware accelerated graphics.

Despite all this smarts technics, games are slow for now (to slow most of the time to be enjoyable) and compatibility is slowly increasing.

Nice.

Good to see some progress every few days here.

Edit:

Ingo, we need some comparison report and maybe some video.

The PSP has a MIPS processor, so it's not a common point.

The emulator now use a JIT (Just In Time) to have some fast MIPS->ARM code convertor.

The graphics are converted (using an HLE approach: High Level Emulation) to GLES Hadware accelerated graphics.

Despite all this smarts technics, games are slow for now (to slow most of the time to be enjoyable) and compatibility is slowly increasing.
This all points to this emulator probably never being usable on the Pandora :) Pandora 1, at least.

Back