Psx4gp2x Dynarec Status Update

Finally got around to test this out, and I must say Final Fantasy 7 runs great! :eek:
(250MHz, Ram Timings ON, 30% clock, no sound, 0 interlace.)
Around 20fps at most places, battles are about 9, but they're VERY smooth now compared to BETA 4, same with FMVs.
Before the FMVs and intro movie were horrible, you could barely understand what was going on in them due to the lag.

It's pretty much playable now, only that now the menu and textboxes are corrupted a bit, there's some white stuff at the bottom of the boxes, same with the menus.

Can't believe we have a psx-emu running this good, you are truly a god zodttd, and you should rule the world! :D :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ridge Racer is one of the most poorly coded games I know of. Poor coding is the reaosn you have such poor performance with that game compared to others.

yodaofborg said:
Yes, use Linux, but besides that use this

haha yea right ;) i need windows =) otherwise i'd already use linux. thanks for the link. i'lll try that out!

Offtopic: Vollqasasi, my friend uses Ubuntu with VMware which is completly free now, you can set up linux on your machine and have Windows running in VMware with great performence, he even uses Visual Studio.NET for development, all you need is a good amount of RAM, 512+ MB.

zodttd said:
Ridge Racer is one of the most poorly coded games I know of. Poor coding is the reaosn you have such poor performance with that game compared to others.

OK, then I will quit testing with it. I was thinking because it was an original release title that it would need less power to emulate, I see that I didn't even think that it could be improperly written.
Vollgasasi said:
yodaofborg said:
Yes, use Linux, but besides that use this

haha yea right ;) i need windows =) otherwise i'd already use linux. thanks for the link. i'lll try that out!
I use Smart Projects Isobuster, but it might be a little too powerful just for PSX ISOs, I like that when it encounters read errors it gives you the option to replace it with 00s and keep going.

yodaofborg said:
Vollgasasi said:
hmmm.... i would really like to test this but somehow it doesn't work for me... it just says load succes and then there's a black screen.

weird.
i use winiso for ripping, any recommendations as an alternative?

Yes, use Linux, but besides that use this http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

Perfect ISO's every time, and you can shrink em with this -> http://pdai.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8974

Hm, trying to rip my Wipeout2097 disc with it, downloaded V2 from the website since I have WinXP SP2, but all it comes up with is a 0b .iso file or "Recording has failed. Code: 000000001" :(

Just tried Chrono Cross @ 250 MHz, Ram Timings ON, clock @ 30%.
It's horribly slow, well, at least it seems to run, but it sure isn't playable.
With 3-5 fps, it's unplayable at the moment.

Just thought I'd mention it.

@Unai/zodttd

a long time ago i tried to explain my thoughts on a tv like scanline rendering i did not take into account that im not very good at explaining but the bottom line was that i thought that the psx rendered 2 passes of one whole picture in a Tv scanline manner like

A. first scanline pass 1 3 5 7 8
B. second scanline pass 0 2 4 6 8

and that the full picture would compromise of A+B

so that 60i frames rendered was infact only 30p full frames (like in a SD tv movie)

then i tried to present that "maybe" it would benefit rendering if the above technique was used.

i don't know what rendering technique psx4gp2x uses now but it seems like your team took the progressive rendering approach. (and discards fields that are meant to be "not to be rendered" in scanline mode)

i don't want you to take it like im telling you to do something to my liking.
but im afraid that my message got lost in translation (im swedish and this is a hard thing to explain in my native tounge even)
and i would like to explain what i meant for my own peace of mind.

anyhow i stumbled upon what i meant in wikipedia so have a look if you like, the Algoritm part pretty much sums up what i meant

###scanline rendering Algoritm ###
The usual method starts with edges of projected polygons inserted into buckets, one per scanline; the rasterizer maintains an 'active edge table' (AET). Entries maintain sort links, X coordinates, gradients, and references to the polygons they bound. To rasterize the next scanline, the edges no longer relevant are removed; new edges from the current scanlines' Y-bucket are added, inserted sorted by X coordinate. The AET entries have X and other parameter information incremeneted. AET entries are maintained in an X-sorted list by bubble-sort, affecting a change when 2 edges cross. After updating edges, the AET is traversed in X order to emit only the visible spans, maintaining a Z-sorted active Span table, inserting and deleting the surfaces when edges are crossed.
###source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scanline_rendering###

i hope that it explains what i was rambling about.
i know it mostly applies to 3d rendering, but sprites are handled in a similar fashion on the psx by the GTE as explained here.

### psx GTE sprite vs regular sprite ###
A sprite is a textured rectangle, defined as a rectangle with coordinates on a texture page. Like the rectangle is drawn much faster than the polygon equivalent. No gourad shading possible. Even though the primitive is called a sprite, it has nothing in common with the traditional sprite, other than that it's a rectangular piece of graphics. Unlike the PSX sprite, the traditional sprite is NOT drawn to the bitmap, but gets sent to the screen instead of the actual graphics data at that location at display time.
###source http://www.zophar.net/tech/files/playstation.htm###

(im only a hardware fanatic that like to theorize about quirks in gaming machines)

btw im so happy the team took up this Emu again ridin the zodttdtrain is so much fun :)

Tested

Lost Vikings 2 - Norse by Norsewest

Cpu - 280
Ram Tweaks - ON
Sound - Off
Interlace Count - 0
Psx Clock - 40% (Control Stick-in Volume L/R)

Fps in-game - 26 (feels like around 80% of normal speed)
Video's - feels like around 20% of normal speed (tried many psx clocks)

It's good playable for sure.

Tested

The Next Tetris - Only Intro video's work
didnt get into the Menu

Cpu - 280/260/240
Ram Tweaks - On/Off
Sound - On/Off
Interlace Count - 0
Psx Clock - 40% (Control Stick-in Volume L/R)
This is for my gp2x the best, 40 % rulez ^^

Fps in-game - 0 , Doesn't Work (feels like around 0% of normal speed)
Video's - feels like around 85% of normal speed (tried many psx clocks)

It's Not playable for Me.

evol said:
@unai/zodttd

a long time ago i tried to explain my thoughts on a tv like scanline rendering i did not take into account that im not very good at explaining but the bottom line was that i thought that the psx rendered 2 passes of one whole picture in a Tv scanline manner like

A. first scanline pass 1 3 5 7 8
B. second scanline pass 0 2 4 6 8

###scanline rendering Algoritm ###
###source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scanline_rendering###

i hope that it explains what i was rambling about.
i know it mostly applies to 3d rendering, but sprites are handled in a similar fashion on the psx by the GTE as explained here.

### psx GTE sprite vs regular sprite ###
###source http://www.zophar.net/tech/files/playstation.htm###
btw im so happy the team took up this Emu again ridin the zodttdtrain is so much fun :)

Dont take this as unpolite... its not my intentions (I also have transalationproblems)

1- Did you test the emu? interlaced rendering with progressive on makes exactli wha you say and more, please test it. That feature has been there for ages

2- aet is interestin with zbuffer and so...psx dont has zbuffer neither poligo soting its done by the game

3- I didnt leva the train... I have continue workin on the emu... only that um not so social as zottd

PokeParadox: I'll fix the keymapping for todays build.

Unai: Technically I never left either. I just wanted a nice long break from what I remember. :p

means progressive interlace a interlace count 1 of the even rows followed by a interlace count 1 of the uneven ones?? :unsure:
in my opinion that was the idea of evol.

zodttd said:
PokeParadox: I'll fix the keymapping for todays build.

Unai: Technically I never left either. I just wanted a nice long break from what I remember. :p
fingerpoint.png

Now back to work ;)

Keep up the good work lads, I've been playing rage racer from the demo disk and wore out 4 batterys so far, thats fun at even about 10fps :)

bOing

FF7 is very very playable even at a very modest 240MHz/RAM tweaking on/Interlacing 1 (no sound, and the sound plays out of sync when it is on). There is some graphic corruption in the menus and the battle menus aren't visible (known bug, I'm sure?) but battles seem to vary between 1/2 and 3/4 speed and everything else is 3/4 speed or better. Granted, it might be a bit painful to wait through a Supernova at this speed, but the beginning of the game is fun as is :D

EDIT: Eep! I just realized that I'm not even using the mmuhack yet, because I'm using the Open2x alpha kernel which doesn't work with the old mmuhack.o... I'll replace the old with the new and hopefully get even better speed :)

New release :)
040507 is out and it now uses HW SDL to handle things.
I noticed up to 5 more FPS in some games. Wipeout XL is now at 14 FPS at 266MHz clock. Strikers 1945 II (Japanese) is fullspeed at a steady 30 FPS. Buster Bros Collection runs at 45 FPS. There's lots more games that should become at least more enjoyable with the added peformance of this version.

More optimizations to the dynarec are coming as well.

NOTE:
MENU SYSTEM IS NOW CONTROLLED BY VOLUME_MIDDLE

UNDER/OVERCLOCKING THE PSX TIMER IS CONTROLLED WITH R_TRIG AND VOL_DOWN/VOL_UP

PROGRESSIVE INTERLACING IS ON BY DEFAULT

FPS STATS ARE OFF BY DEFAULT
(SOME RESOLUTIONS DONT SCALE THE TEXT CORRECTLY RIGHT NOW)

Let me know if any games run exceedingly well. If so, try to make a video! I love them! :)

Hmm, everyone seems to be asleep. I just checked this out briefly. Seems about the same for Gran Turismo. 30fps in menus, 15-17 in car selection screen, and 4-7 in game. Maybe not a good test. Also it didn't exit cleanly. Going to see how Vagrant story is.. Are Memory cards still broken? There seems to be a few games that don't run without them.

Edit 8-9fps in game. Another six or so and we might be in business (@250 no tweaks a .znx image). GT was the full iso

No.. no memory cards - I was really getting excited about worms... though it never worked well before.

Memory card support is needed after zod gets as much FPS out of the current known to work games ;) But yes, *most* the games I have tried that do not work, either lock-up on a *scanning memory card* screen, or are known to need a mem card.

@ Mudi

Turn progressive interlace off, and the menus work, turn interlacing off, and you can read the writing ;)

@ Zod

Wow, just wow...

Back